General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have been a very, very bad triathlete-in-training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-03 6:56 PM

User image

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: I have been a very, very bad triathlete-in-training
Well, the short story is, my crummy week that has been influenced by not only home and friend drama but also work drama has made me feel quite depressed and unmotivated. So I haven't worked out since....I don't even know when.

I need help to get back on track!!!

Can beginner triathletes get "rest weeks" that aren't completely detrimental to their training, or have I just taken huge steps backwards?

Edited by PhoenixRises 2004-06-03 6:57 PM

2004-06-03 7:00 PM
in reply to: #28982

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: I have been a very, very bad triathlete-in-training
Well I am definately not an experienced triathlete by any means but I know that I have had such weeks and it hasnt hurt me at all, in fact, its helped my training partner in a lot of ways by getting the rest he has gotten (those are his words ). The important thing is to not let it get you down and to get back out there. One week isnt a make or break thing but stopping altogether sure is.

Good luck!
2004-06-03 7:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-03 7:35 PM

New user

Chicago, IL
My "break" has lasted over a year....

I feel your pain. That joke I made about retirement after I stepped off the track last May does not seem so funny anymore. With warmer (not warm) weather upon us, I have started getting up earlier to run, but usually end up finishing up my assignments or attempting to look decent for work. Also, working 5 days a week and taking classes 3 nights a week doesn't leave a lot of time for stellar training regimine.....
2004-06-04 8:29 AM

Master
San Diego, CA

Don't dwell on it.  Just throw those shoes on and go for a quick/short run.  Nothing earth shattering.  And then tomorrow, squeeze in another quickie.  Nothing major - just get out there and slice off a small piece of the day for yourself!!

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2004-06-04 8:29 AM
2004-06-04 9:45 AM

Veteran
Findlay OH
I agree with everyone else just get out and do something even if it is short. No one is perfect and I have been a bit on the unmotivated side myself lately and have backed off on training. I always feel better after a workout even a short one, but the negative self-talk sometimes gets the better of us. Pool workouts tend to be the best for stress relief for me. I guess it is all the concentrating on not drowning rather than my troubles.

Don't add the stress of not fitting in a workout add to your other issues. working out is suposed to be fun :-)

2004-06-04 10:41 AM

Extreme Veteran
Midcoast, Maine
There is absolutly nothing wrong with taking a week off, sometimes it helps put things in perspective, wether lifes needs are demanding attention or your body needs some recovery a little break will help get one focused on tri-ing again.
2004-06-04 11:49 AM

Master
Sonoma County, CA
PhoenixRises - 2004-06-03 6:56 PM

Well, the short story is, my crummy week that has been influenced by not only home and friend drama but also work drama has made me feel quite depressed and unmotivated. So I haven't worked out since....I don't even know when.

I need help to get back on track!!!

Can beginner triathletes get "rest weeks" that aren't completely detrimental to their training, or have I just taken huge steps backwards?

You know what...that first workout back is always the hardest b/c of those feelings...but trust me, once you get out there, feel the endorphins, work up a sweat.....you are going to feel grrrrreat!

The cool thing about life and training for tris....there are DO-OVER!!!

so get out there and do it!

nt

2004-06-04 12:21 PM

Master
Berkeley, CA
Phoenix--

If you are anything like me, the biggest battle is psychological/emotional. Have a little mercy on yourself. You can't re-do last week, you can only do this one.

It's a new day and the past needn't define you. Chin up. Every day you decide to tri is a successful day.

Keep it up!!

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have been a very, very bad triathlete-in-training Rss Feed