Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disney - Twice, Suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-16 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: Disney - Twice, Suggestions?

Not only does my family of 4 get to go to Walt Disney World once, but we get to return again 2-3 weeks later, again.  We are looking forward to it and we are sure the kids will have fun.

We have been previously 3 times (once, prior to Christmas, once over New Years, and once in February), when our boys were 1-3yo.  They are now 5-6yo.  We have seen all the parks, and been to a lot of the rides.  I'm not sure what they will be able to ride at 5-6yo now and enjoy.

I looked through the last thread that was posted, and it had some good suggestions on the Jedi Training, etc.

The first time we will be there from Dec 29-Jan 2 (crowded).  The next time will be 2-3 weeks later, and for 4 full days, so we will have a total of 7-8 days.  The first time will be the 4 of us and we probably won't be hanging out with anyone else much, but might some. The next time, will be with 6 adults and 7 children (children all 7yo and under / 4 girls, 3 boys), and we will be with them the entire time.

Since we are going twice, in such a short time, I'd like some suggestions on what to plan/do? Dining, Rides, Misc., things not to miss (that we may not have done previously) suggestions.

Thank you!!

2011-11-16 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3904268

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Subject: RE: Disney - Twice, Suggestions?

We had a group that included three pre-teen/teenagers and six adults the last time we went. Our favorite things from that trip that we weren't so sure about beforehand included pin trading, the Hoop-De-Do Revue, and Fantasmic. Pin trading turned out to be something fun to do everyday even though some of us were skeptical about it beforehand. The Hoop-De-Do was great food and enjoyed by everyone. For Fantasmic, we splurged and opted for the package that was a combination of a meal prior and then special no wait seating. Though the show is normally free, it was worth the price of the meal to not have to wait in the line that stretched through MGM to watch Fantasmic. Also, if there are any Star Wars fans in the group, you should definitely stop by at the face painting booths at MGM and get painted up like Darth Maul. They do a great job.

(Disney (44).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Disney (44).jpg (64KB - 13 downloads)
2011-11-17 6:41 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
OK, I have ton of suggestions, but first I have a few questions. Where are you staying? Do you have a car? Do you have the Dining Plan?

It sounds as though rides are not the leading reason to visit, so slow down and enjoy. The whole place should still be in full Christmas display during the first trip. Enjoy the Osborne lights in Hollywood Studio one night. Take some time to explore the hotels/resorts. You may catch the bell choir at Wilderness Lodge. Horseback rides and nighttime movies at the campground. Check out the gingerbread house in the Grand Floridian and the chocolate display at the Beach & Yacht club. Hit the Ghiradelli store in Downtown Disney for the only free thing in all of WDW, a chocolate square.

Of course, displays and wandering around looking at stuff may not be for the kids, so make reservations at the Dino restaurant (T-Rex), Planet Hollywood if they like movies, or Rainforest if they are animal types. Try to fit in a few rides on every type of transportation they have, bus, boat, monorail(I'm not sure if kids are allowed up front anymore, just ask), etc. Kim Possible may keep them interested at Epcot. If Tom Sawyer island is open in Magic Kingdom, they can have a blast exploring over there, with barrel bridges, caves, forts, tunnels, etc. Parades, shows, fireworks, etc. are always enjoyable for the kids. Lights, Camera Action and Indiana Jones are good shows at the Studios. Bugs Life is funny and the Nemo show at AK is kinda neat.

Sorry this has been a bit long winded. The best advice I can give is not to try to pack in too much and have a flexible plan. Planning was a big key when our kids were little. And enjoy all the little things. WDW is like life, enjoy the journey as much as possible!
2011-11-17 10:03 AM

User image

Elite
South Florida

I agree with CDBAN.  Your first trip is going to be SO crowded, so don't try to do a lot of the more popular things on that one.  Wander through the resorts, take a carriage ride, go see the Osbourne Lights (get there early and don't expect to get out fast - it takes forever!), go listen to the different holiday stories at each country in Epcot, maybe plan a dinner show like Hoop Dee Doo or the Luau at the Polynesian.  The only problem is that most restaurants will be pretty booked for these popular dates.  The Disney website pretty much stinks, but they just updated the restaurant reservation system and it is better now.  You can put in that you want to eat at Epcot at 6pm and it can bring up all of the restaurants that are available around that time.  Just for fun I put in 4 people Dec. 30th for Hoop Dee Do and there is only availability at 4pm and the Luau only has a table at 8pm.  I'm surprised there are even any left though! 

Maybe even book a tour - there is a family tour in Magic Kingdom that is supposed to be fun and may be the only one that the kids could do with you.

Save things like Jedi Training, Toy Story Mania, the mountain roller coasters, etc. for the second trip when you will be shocked at how NOT crowded it will be.  Late January/ early Feb. is our favorite time to go.  It can be cold, but we live in FL so we don't mind that - we are all about low crowds.

If you are willing to leave the property there is some kind of Snow/Ice show at Gaylord Palms hotel right down the street - about a mile - from Epcot.  I've never been but have heard it is pretty cool.

Oh, and since you live semi-close you might want to think about if you would do another trip in the next year.  If you are planning on buying park hopper tickets for 8 days it will be $330 for an adult.  An annual pass is $519 - a $189 difference.  So if you plan on doing another trip for at least 2 days you would end up saving money.  You also can get hotel room discounts, free parking at the parks and merchandise discounts with the annual pass.

2011-11-17 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

Don't know how much of the holiday activities will still be going on after Christmas, but they used to do a live reading of "The Polar Express" at the Yacht Club in the evenings that was really wonderful.

If you want to get away from Disney for a day and your kids like space stuff, consider a field trip to Kennedy Space Center.  It's a fairly short drive and they have excellent tours and displays.  You can easily spend the best part of a day there.  Also if you're going to be there on Jan 12 or 19 there are rocket launches scheduled.

2011-11-17 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3905176

User image

Expert
Alabama

cdban66 - 2011-11-17 6:41 AM OK, I have ton of suggestions, but first I have a few questions. Where are you staying? Do you have a car? Do you have the Dining Plan?

Thanks everyone.  Keep up the suggestions.

The first time, we are staying at the Pop Century, which I understand is close to Hollywood Studios, but requires bus service to all the parks.  We will have a dining plan for the first trip, but no car.

The second time, we are staying at the Contemporary, so we will have access to the Monorail.  No Dining plan and no car.

2011-11-17 4:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

We are going 2/24 through 3/2 including the Disney Princess HM. I subscribed to touringplans.com to build itineraries for each day so that we could hit the parks early, take a long lunch/afternoon off, and hit the parks late.

This will be our first trip, so I couldn't tell you how good the plans are first hand.

2011-11-17 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3906305

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
pilotzs - 2011-11-17 5:09 PM

cdban66 - 2011-11-17 6:41 AM OK, I have ton of suggestions, but first I have a few questions. Where are you staying? Do you have a car? Do you have the Dining Plan?

Thanks everyone.  Keep up the suggestions.

The first time, we are staying at the Pop Century, which I understand is close to Hollywood Studios, but requires bus service to all the parks.  We will have a dining plan for the first trip, but no car.

The second time, we are staying at the Contemporary, so we will have access to the Monorail.  No Dining plan and no car.

Plan to use every bit of the Dining plan possible, it is a good deal if you do so. Many people leave some of the value of that on the table, and WDW doesn't blush at pricing. Plan on an extra 20-30 minutes to travel via bus to almost everywhere you go, but keep in mind that you are going to pretty much stay "on property".

Another thing to do, wander the Boardwalk at night. Performers are out there for the kids although it may be a bit cool in mid January(FL cool, that is). If the kids like ice cream, try the "Kitchen Sink" at Beaches and Cream in the Beach Club, which is also on the Boardwalk.

I can go on and on, anyone can PM me if more details are wanted. And listen to MomX3, she knows her WDW stuff.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Disney - Twice, Suggestions? Rss Feed