General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-27 4:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Subject: Training Question
Hi all!

I just registered for IMFL 2012 and am super excited! I'm also planning on doing the Florida 70.3 in May as I live in Orlando and the course is in my backyard.

My question is about training....I'm planning on hiring a coach in May/June and am curious about what to do for both races. I'm thinking I might use the Don Fink "Be Iron Fit- just finish" plan to train for the 70.3 and then pick up from there with the coach. My only concern is the plan is for a full, so I don't want to be overtrained. When I look at it though, it doesn't seem to be too much.

What should I do? Cutting the plan in half doesn't really seem like it would be enough training.
Thanks!

2011-11-27 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3916362

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Training Question

Why not use a HIM plan for your HIM? Or start with your coach sooner?

Following an IM plan will only burn you out and probably won't make you faster. Your time would be better spent focusing on your weakest leg if you really want to just train more...

2011-11-27 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
If you can start with your coach in January, why not do that? If money is an issue... then follow a HIM training plan for your May race.

Training 6 months for your IM will be fine, so starting in June should work. Makes sense to start in June, after your HIM is done.

For your IM, the bulk of the work will be done the last 3 months. 6 months will give your coach enough time to help you build a base (which you will have from the HIM), and to get to know you.

Since you are getting a coach for your IM training... you don't need to think about that training plan. Just focus on your HIM until May and that training. Make sure to log ALL your workouts (here on BT, or Training Peaks, etc.). That way, when you start working with a coach, you have something to show him/her as far as training history. That will help your coach know where to start you off volume wise.

2011-11-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3916454

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

KSH - 2011-11-27 7:15 PM If you can start with your coach in January, why not do that? If money is an issue... then follow a HIM training plan for your May race. Training 6 months for your IM will be fine, so starting in June should work. Makes sense to start in June, after your HIM is done. For your IM, the bulk of the work will be done the last 3 months. 6 months will give your coach enough time to help you build a base (which you will have from the HIM), and to get to know you. Since you are getting a coach for your IM training... you don't need to think about that training plan. Just focus on your HIM until May and that training. Make sure to log ALL your workouts (here on BT, or Training Peaks, etc.). That way, when you start working with a coach, you have something to show him/her as far as training history. That will help your coach know where to start you off volume wise.

x2.  If you're going to hire a coach, you will get much better results by starting with them now so they can build your Annual Training Plan to maximize results rather than only getting a race specific plan for IMFL.  IMO, there isn't nearly as much value in hiring a coach for only a few months for one or two events as there is in working with them for a full macrocycle (a year for most AG triathletes).

2011-11-28 11:59 AM

User image

New user
I used the Intermediate version of Don Fink's plan for my first HIM. Only did the first 17 weeks (was training for IM and the only HIM round here fell in week 17). I was super pleased with the results and felt really good all day long. Highly recommended, in my opinion.
2011-11-28 6:23 PM

User image

seitz1124 - 2011-11-27 2:13 PM Hi all! I just registered for IMFL 2012 and am super excited! I'm also planning on doing the Florida 70.3 in May as I live in Orlando and the course is in my backyard. My question is about training....I'm planning on hiring a coach in May/June and am curious about what to do for both races. I'm thinking I might use the Don Fink "Be Iron Fit- just finish" plan to train for the 70.3 and then pick up from there with the coach. My only concern is the plan is for a full, so I don't want to be overtrained. When I look at it though, it doesn't seem to be too much. What should I do? Cutting the plan in half doesn't really seem like it would be enough training. Thanks!

I'd find a HIM specific plan for the 70.3 and follow that.  After the HIM, take a week or even two if necessary and dial everything WAY back for that 7-14 days, then begin the build to the IM.  The Fink program is a 7-month program, so if you are fit for the HIM, you can almost just step right back into the late/early build training on most programs in mid May and be well on your way.  But take that week or two to heal, do some non-tri specific exercise and clear the mind before your IM build. 

2011-11-29 8:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Windermere, FL
Thanks so much for the advice! I am absolutely planning on hiring a coach...I actually have one picked out that hopefully I will be able to meet with in a few weeks. She just completed the Ultraman in Hawaii! I hadn't planned on hiring her until June (ish) since she charges $200 a month for personal coaching (which I need), but I'm hoping she can kind of guide me in the right direction for the Half.

I considered using Don Fink as I was really surprised at the "Just Finish" Ironman program. It didn't seem like hardly anything in terms of time and training. I would love to get a Half Iron training program from him...I'll google it and see if one is online.

Thanks again everyone!
Theresa
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Question Rss Feed