Extreme Veteran
Georgia
Subject: RE: Plantar Fasciitis

2011-11-28 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3917186

User image

Regular

mxr746 - 2011-11-28 10:51 AM Interesting take on pf http://sportscenteraustin.blogs.com/the_view/2005/02/if_you_have_pla.html[/QUOTE]

But is the Plantar Fascia a ligament?  I saw a sports ortho doc in 2008 for PF in the right foot and I saw another sports ortho in Nov. of 2011 for PF in the left foot.  Both are in the same practice.  And the one I recently saw said that the treatment has changed even since 2008.  I stopped running in 2008 for 6 mos.  Dr. told me I could resume running after 6 mos., but the pain persisted for about 14.  Currently the doc told me I could continue running just not to bump up mileage or add speedwork.  I am going to PT and doing stretches, massage, and some ankle strengthening. It's getting better and my mileage is still at 18-22 mpw.  I am also taping.  I have 2 new pairs of running shoes and 3 pairs of everyday shoes and I never go barefoot.  Walking barefoot on the beach is what brought the PF on in my left foot.  Oh, and I wear a night brace.

jami  

Edited by jdotten 2011-11-28 6:52 PM
2011-11-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3916407

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mayberry

my doc gave me an anti-inflamatory.  I've been on it longer than I like, have weened to half the original dosage, and no pain. 

2011-11-29 3:53 AM

User image

I had PF and actually it is how I have become a triathlete. I used to run and got PF so I moved my extra energy to swimming and cycling. You can read many good ideas about running and plantar fasciitis in this link.
2011-11-29 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3916455

bryancd - 2011-11-27 6:16 PM Funny enough..or not so much..I have a complete tear of my fascia and I am going to undergo a form of polo therapy, specifically platelet rich plasma therapy' starting to tomorrow. It is a procedure similar to needling where they inject my own blood platelets along with the standard prolotherapy nutrient solution directly into the damaged area of the fascia to promote accelerated healing. It's pricey but has had very good results for PF and other accute or chronic tendon injuries.

Along the same lines is Shock Wave Therapy. Its like ultra-sound x 10,000. The theory is the shock waves sent into the fascia further damages it and then your body will send platelets to the site to effect the healing process. It is the same end result as PRP above but alot less invasive. I had a bad case of PF and this knocked it out. My podiatrist has had 98% success with this. 4 weeks is a boot and after which I was still sore but able to run and as I ramped up milage the pain continually decreased until I am 100% today. It is pricy  $1300-$1500 and insurance did not pay for mine but it was the best money I spent all year.  i would recomend this to anybody. It flat out works!!!

2011-11-29 1:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
First reported in 1996, several investigators have published successful results when using shock waves to treat plantar fasciitis. (1) The FDA subsequently approved the use of shock waves for the treatment of plantar fasciitis in 2000. Since that time, numerous studies have investigated the use of shock wave treatments for plantar fasciitis.One often cited report investigated the use of low-energy ESWT and found good results in patients treated with three sessions of ESWT. (2) This study was a well-designed, randomized trial that showed good results in patients who did not improve with more traditional treatments.However, there are also numerous reports that have not been as successful. A study in the British Medical Journal, with more than twice as many patients as the study mentioned above, also well-designed and randomized, showed no difference in the patients treated with shock wave therapy. (3)It seems swt is debated, but it's definitely preferred over surgery after all conservative methods fail.

2011-11-29 4:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
I've suffered from chronic PF for 7 years.  I've done most of the therapies and have had surgery on both feet.  I'm happy to see when other people are able to get past it.  I never have so I have to just make it as manageable as I can and work through it. 
2011-11-29 9:37 PM
in reply to: #3919488

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

I don't want to judge.... but this is crazy reading about everyone training thru and with the pain.

Was said earlier. You want to shake it, take a break man!
Suffering long-term just to train for a race or two? Just seems silly!

But hey! That's just one former PF sufferer's simple thought...

2011-11-30 5:43 AM
in reply to: #3919844

User image

Regular
gwbuild - 2011-11-29 9:37 PM

I don't want to judge.... but this is crazy reading about everyone training thru and with the pain.

Was said earlier. You want to shake it, take a break man!
Suffering long-term just to train for a race or two? Just seems silly!

But hey! That's just one former PF sufferer's simple thought...

Stopping running doesn't help everyone.  PF effects everyone differently too.  Have you noticed on here there are multiple treatments and some help some and some don't.  Very individual.  I know someone who stopped running for years without getting any better.  And this is a person that doesn't spend much time on her feet.  You really have to find the root cause and fix it or you might take off months or years, get better and it comes right back again after you run your first mile.  It's very common.  Even common among non runners.  Common among non-exercisers even.  I have had it multiple times.  I stopped doing all forms of exercise (except swim lessons) for 6 months, and it didn't get better at all.  

jami  

2011-11-30 6:19 AM

User image

Regular

Another example of how individual PF is-I had it first in my right foot and what ultimately helped me there was wearing the night boot.  But now that it's in my left foot, the boot isn't helping.  Icing helped my right foot, and icing actually makes my left foot hurt worse.  Rolling my right foot on a Trigger Point footballer did nothing, but makes my left foot very happy.  So even on the same person, different feet respond to different treatments.  And my current doc doesn't want me to stop running unless my gait is altered.  He says that they are finding that PF responds best to slight irritation.  And he recommended doing something along the lines of ART, or GRASTON, or ROLFING, something that gets in there and really breaks up scar tissue.  My PT isn't doing any of those things, but the ultrasound and electrical (tens unit type thing) seem to be working well as well as lots of calf stretching.  I just saw him yesterday and he said that at this point if I wanted I could increase my distance by about 5% each week.  Now my foot is getting better.  For extreme cases, I'm sure he would tell people to stop running, but do the other treatments.  Finding what works for the individual is as big a battle as treating PF.  Because it certainly isn't a 1 cure fits all cases type ailment.

jami    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar Fasciitis Rss Feed  

of 2