General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New triathlete looking to change the world Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-12-18 10:00 AM

Subject: New triathlete looking to change the world

Hey Everyone,

I've been steadly swimming and running for about 2 years and sort of getting around on a bike.  I just got a road bike so now I can get down to business.

So this is what I am up to and my mission statement:

Mental disorders are a grey zone that many people don't feel comfortable talking about, that's why I'm here. By the age of sixteen I was diagnosed with anorexia and bipolar. These conditions are life threatening disorders that require a lot of support and something no one should deal with alone. After I graduate from Warren Wilson in May I plan on spreading mental health awareness while I train for an Ironman or in my case, an Ironwoman.  Going from being deathly sick in my diagnoses to completing an Ironman is a journey I want to share.  Anorexia and bipolar are conditions that I once suffered but no longer. I have overcome  anorexia and have learned to cope with bipolar. I want other people to know they don't have to suffer anymore either.  I also want to give guidance to those that have loved ones who are dealing with mental health issues.  I want people to know things can get better and I hope to spread that through my story.

I'm signed up for the 2012 Cozumel Ironman next November 25th and could use any guidance people are willing to give.  Exercise is a key tool to keeping me healthy and what more to promote but to take on an Ironman.  I just want to get out there and make some really great connections so my dream and journey can really come to life.  Hope to talk to you soon.

2011-12-18 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3942800

User image

Veteran
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Subject: RE: New triathlete looking to change the world
Welcome aboard!  ...looking forward to hearing more of your story here on the forum.
2011-12-18 2:14 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Hi, welcome to BT and triathlon, and ... Warren Wilson, what a great place. I visited there when I went to Davidson College. I later became a university instructor (other coast) and I always told my students, "Go and change the world, because at the very least, you will definitely change yourself."

There are lots of race reports on IM Cozumel in the Race Reports forum that you can read; also, there may already be an official thread in the Iron Distance forum for next year's Coz. In any case, hanging around the Iron Distance forum will give you lots of great info on that distance. You may also want to join up with one of the mentor groups that are opening up soon; great way to give and get support and jump into BT and this sport.

Finally, we have a great thread in the Injuries and Health forum called "Depression and Moods: Check In" ... it's another good place to get to know folks in triathlon with similar issues.

All the best to you!

2011-12-18 3:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
I like your positive attitude! Best of luck in your first IM. Get a solid training plan, stay injury free, and cross the finish line! 
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New triathlete looking to change the world Rss Feed