BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2012-01-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3965644

Washington DC
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - 5th year mentor - OPEN
Hi, I'm interested in joining your mentor group, it seems like a lot of fun!I just started doing some training for running this last week (working on couch to 5km) and then at the end of the month I signed up for an indoor tri training program, which will help me get through the winter and start working on swimming and biking.I'm a little younger than most of the group, 27, but this is the group that I'm most excited about. I've always been a big walker (can walk at least 5 miles without a problem), and last year started biking to work occasionally (8 miles or so which was doable but hard), so I'm hoping I have enough base fitness to see me through my goal of getting to the finish line.2012 races: I'm signed up for an indor tri through one of the local gyms, the warrior dash 5k. I'm training for a sprint in June (there's two I'm considering: ones a women only one, and ones a coed) and the Chicago triathalon (olympic distance) in August.Weightloss: this isn't my primary goal, but I hope it will happen. I hit my highest weight ever of 210 this summer. I'm down to 199 now, but I'd be happier around 160/170. I have idiopathic intracranial hypertension which gives me really bad headaches. That condition is correlated to weight and I want to elimnate those symptoms.

2012-01-08 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
I'll be swimming and biking today. 3200 yds in the pool and a few miles on the stationary bike afterwards, if time permits. Have to get son #1 back to college today as well, so I may not have time to do as long of a ride as I'd like.
2012-01-08 12:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

Briana - anyone who made me feel like a rock star in AZ certainly is welcome and OF COURSE I remember you....haha....every one of you.....you are in.  What Hot Chocolate run are you doing?  Also, are you going to do CapTexTri in May?  You seem to do alot in Austin...

Pam - no worries on never running a marathon.  I know numerous Ironman finishers who have never run an open marathon...welcome...you will be fine...I want you to go to jeffgalloway.com and read his stuff on running injury free.  I use the run/walk method and will be recommending it to all of you here....work through it and let me know what you think.

Suzie - here is how I want you to do your run....don't worry about cutoffs...many races don't even have them...so there...now I want you to google "danskin triathlon" and see if there is one near you....they pay their national spokeswoman to finish last so NO ONE in the event finishes last...how cool it would be to finish with a pro triathlete....Also - for your run tomorrow quit worrying...let me do that....I want you to go out...walk 3-5 minutes to warm up....then run ONE minute...and walk ONE minute....run ONE MINUTE and walk ONE MINUTE....you will cover 20 minutes in no time....and you will want to run further....DON'T....do a 3-5 minute walking cool down and congratulate yourself on the ground you have covered....today = worry === TOMORROW = ROCK STAR.

Tanya - no one is monitoring the number of groups you are in so if you want to be part of the BEST - hehe...that's us....you are welcome....it may get confusing keeping up with two but I am game if you are....try them both for a week or so....see where you fit best and then you will know where you belong.  We set our own limits on members so you are not taking anyone's spot.  Tell me about the EPIC....by the way - I am glad you liked the book it was a very rewarding project.

You guys have re-energized me....I ran in a 15k yesterday Bold in the Cold....it was my first run of any distance since Ironman Arizona....I am ready for the 2012 season....bring it!!!

What do you see as your challenges? (be forewarned - I will poo poo EVERY one of them - there are NO challenges bigger than you if you want to be bigger - anybody want to quit yet? ((not really an option)))).....happy Sunday afternoon  

2012-01-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3977865

Extreme Veteran

fat2tri - sorry I missed this one....welcome aboard...check out jeffgalloway.com - I want you to strongly consider the run/walk method....it is a great way to get into running....I have run every distance from one block to a full marathon using the run/walk method and have completed every race I have started....it is perfect for those of us with some medical issues to control heart rate...I assume you have doc's blessing on this exercise game, right?  We want to keep you healthy and make you healthier.

That goes for all of you....if you haven't seen your doctor (or one who is an athlete which is my preference), you should share with them what you are doing....if they disapprove...find a new doctor.....from multiple medications for middle age executive issues to NO medication for 4 years...I am proof this works - you just have to be smart about doing it....I worked my way off blood pressure medication over 4 months....almost passed out a few times because my natural pressure had dropped and the meds were making it too low....be smart...see a doc (who approves of what you are doing) and BRING IT!!!

2012-01-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3977876

Extreme Veteran

irishod = great workout...what college?

2012-01-08 1:45 PM

User image

Regular
Cincinnati

Thanks, Bryan.  My son attends Northern Kentucky U.  Congrats on the 15 k yesterday.  Up here in Cinci, there are no races I know of scheduled until mid March.  Fear of the weather, although it's sunny and 55 degrees out right now!

Edited by irishod 2012-01-08 1:46 PM

2012-01-08 1:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree with the run/walk method. Anything over a 5k race that is what I do. Currently I am working on different ratios to find one that works best for me.

Today is more of a rest day for me. Took the dog for a walk and will later do yoga to help loosen up my tight hamstring that is giving me trouble.
2012-01-08 4:18 PM

User image

Walla Walla

I did it! Treadmill:Warmup walk 3mph for 5 minutes, 5 intervals of 4 mintues run/2 minutes walk.  6 minutes cooldown walk.  Max HR on the last interval was 170-ish.  Recovery after 2 minutes walk 120 on each interval.  Foccussed on being light on my heels and high in the knees for the running.  Only hated the last 30 seconds.  ?YAY!

Tomorrow I'm doing a swim/bike combo.  The two easiest for me.

2012-01-08 7:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Way to go Suzie!
2012-01-08 8:14 PM

New user

Florida
Hello Hello Hello! I'm new and ready to roll. May I join what seems to be the FUN group? I do not like to run but I can do it! I have run lots of 5k's and 1 half. Finished the half and said great I finished but do not desire to do again. Like to stick to 5k's, tri's, and mudders. The long distances are very boring to me. I'm a strong swimmer, ok runner, and ok at biking even though my bike is a 3speed with a basket! Think of the Wizard of Oz! Ha HA. Going to do first sprint tri on March 24th. 1 day before my 46th birthday. Help!!!!!!!!! I'm on my own regarding training. Not sure where to turn. I need schedules. I need to see on paper. I have lost 110lbs kept off for 7 years started to creep back up gained 55 pounds which been stuck for 2 years. Got head back in game lost that plus 5 have been keeping it off for 1 year now and with the help of running! Yuk I hate running but scared to stop. It keeps be in check. Anyway enough junk, Im 45 married for almost 21 years with an 11 year old son. Live in Florida and look forward to EVERYONES help. Please let me in. MelissaCool
2012-01-08 8:18 PM

Regular

Did a 9 mile run today, then I'll be lowering the mileage of my long runs until the race Feb 12.  I have not done a formal run/walk program but have always walked when it felt better to do so.  I may look a little closer to that program again because after the ordeals of surgery over the last few years I do not want to go there again.   Once I have completed 1/2 marathon (finishing being my main goal) , its back on my tri schedule including the swimming which I had been ignoring for the past 2 months.    

So excited, finally got fitted for my bike (3 months old but never had time for a decent fit), they did some adjustments.  No more angry cat look for me!  In stead I will now look serene with a nice back.  That is, except for danger of flying water bottles; I cannot seem to get it right when I put my drink bottle back and I have lost a couple that went off like flying torpedoes.  So far no casualties; I am happy to report....

Pam

Edited by pedmpa 2012-01-08 8:26 PM

2012-01-08 8:53 PM

User image

Walla Walla

GEAR!!!  I just stole my husband's wireless heartrate monitor.  Tee hee hee.  Now I'll know how hard I'm working on the bike tomorrow.

Bryan: Absolutely delighted to hear that about Danskin.  A friend recommended that one to me.  But Seattle is closest to me and Danskin comes to Seattle in ... August!  I can't wait that long for the first one.  Looking at Issaquah or Moses lake in early June, rest, and then Danskin.

fat2tri: Keep posting, you are probably my best match here.

2012-01-08 9:10 PM

User image

Richmond Hill

If it's not too late, I would like to join this group!

Background: I'm 44 years old, married with two girls, 7 & 9. I have been a recreational cyclist off and on for the last 10+ years. In past years, I used cycling as a motivation to "get in shape", as I have yo-yo'ed weight +/- 25 lbs from my current weight. My passion is mountain biking, but living in Savannah GA limits the "mountain" biking options, so I eventually turned to road cycling. I've done some road centuries and some mountain bike metric centuries (in North GA) in recent years. I've had a fascination with triathlons for years but never serious considered doing one until last year. I did a sprint tri last spring, and planned to do a oly or half later in the year, but my August 2011 training was poor. I then spent Sept and Oct focusing on training for the Savannah R&R Marathon.  I got sick the week before, and pretty much just survived it!

Current Training Status: After "surviving" the R&R marathon and swearing never to run again in my like, I was extremely slack for November and December with my training. I'm just now getting back to it - last week I ran 13 miles, biked 15, and did a little strength training. I only swam a couple of times in the past month. I am trying to build some volume at present.

2012 Races: I'm registered already for the SAV R&R Marathon in November, planning on doing the HITS Sprint in Ocala, FL in March, the Turtle Crawl Oly in Jekyll Island GA in May, and hopefully, if I'm ready, the Augusta, GA 70.3.

Weight Loss: Hope to drop another 20 lbs before the 70.3.

Thanks,

Robbie

2012-01-09 6:57 AM

User image

New user

Hi all.  My name is Rick.  Hoping the group is still open.

Like many here, trying to regain some health and fitness via Triathlon. 

Background:  Originally a Kiwi (flightless bird, not the brown furry fruit) from New Zealand, but have
sprouted wings and have lived in Hong Kong for the last 13 years.  Have done several, Olympic and Sprint Tri’s in the past.  I used to say 25 years and 25 KGS (50+ LBS) ago.  That is no longer quite true, as I have managed to lose 15 KGS (30+ LBS) in the last 9 months.  Currently, 48 years old and
around 86 KGS (190 LBS).  Hoping to get down to around the 78 to 80 KGS or 172 to 177 LBS.  Sorry for all the metrics.

Recent Training:  Yet to get back in the pool.  Have completed a running goal of 100 MILES in 28 days. A couple of 100 KM (60 Mile) rides. Training is currently inconsistent. Need to add some Pilates, yoga or weights to build up some more strength.  Need to get smarter with nutrition. 

The Goal:  A Half Ironman (Taiwan 70.3) in November 2012. I think I can manage that.  As I turn 50 in April 2013, I had considered a full IM around that time.  Not sure if I can manage that one.  Time will tell.

Thanks

RICK

2012-01-09 6:57 AM

User image

New user

Edited by Rick777 2012-01-09 7:04 AM
2012-01-09 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3978051

User image

Expert
left.right.repeat - 2012-01-08 12:49 PM

Briana - anyone who made me feel like a rock star in AZ certainly is welcome and OF COURSE I remember you....haha....every one of you.....you are in.  What Hot Chocolate run are you doing?  Also, are you going to do CapTexTri in May?  You seem to do alot in Austin.. 

I am thinking of doing the Hot Chocolate run in Dallas.  It will be tricky though.  My daughter plays club volleyball and has a tournament in Dallas that weekend.  We don't know yet where she will be playing or what hotel we will be at, nor do we know game times.  Won't know game times until Wednesday or Thursday of that week.  But, I'm thinking of signing up anyway.  Worse case is I miss the early morning games.  I think I can make it work.

I live just north of Austin, so yes I do a lot in Austin.  Not sure about the CapTexTri, but I remember you saying the author of the book was planning on doing it.  We'll see how it fits in the schedule.

My biggest challenge will be getting in long outdoor rides this spring between volleyball and soccer.  I will be out of town a lot and as a female, don't feel comfortable riding in strange areas by myself.  May have to take the trainer to these tournaments and ride inside the hotel room.

2012-01-09 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Is there still room for a newbie?  If so I'd love to join!  My story:  I joined a mentor group last year and used the experience to finish my first sprint race in August.  I made a million mistakes in my training and in the race but I finished and beat my goal time by a whole 90 seconds!  Can you say squeak?  But I had a lot of fun and made giant strides in improving my health along the way.  I have three goals for this year, to train for a very difficult Oly at the end of June (if I'm not ready for the Oly I'll still do the race but as a sprint), to redo the sprint race from last year and crush my time from last year, and to continue improving my health.

I'm 42, male, married with two sons (9 and 13), the 13 year old says he wants to do the second race with me by the way.  Right now I'm nursing some kind of injury in my right foot.  It's getting better with rest and soon I'll be back on the dreadmill trying to get my stride back so I can start training for June.  So, if there's still room can I be in the club?  Thanks, Dan.

2012-01-09 10:31 AM

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Is there a spot open for an absolute, complete and starting today newbie?

2012-01-09 10:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
We are CLoSED. All of you are IN. Including today's starter, Malsup. This is going to be fun. For those of u needing a training plan there are several good ones for free right here on BT. There is also a book by Gail Bernhardt that is good but the plans here are just fine. Briana - if u run Dallas hot chocolate let me know. I will be there. Okay folks - a lot more to come. Interesting - most of you hate running - I used to only run if someone was chasing me. I also am surprised no one has mentioned "the swim is going to kill me". That is the usual one. So let's start easy - what are you most afraid of (when we conquer this, everything else is easy.
2012-01-09 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3978627

User image

Walla Walla

Thanks Krazytallchick!  I amazed myself.

2012-01-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #3979752

User image

Walla Walla
Most afraid of:  Fatigue in the run; overheating and not being able to recover.  If I get too hot its an instant migraine and I'm in bed for the next 12-14 hours. 

2012-01-09 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013

Made it in just under the wire!  Sweet.  But that seems to be getting to be a habit with me, not good.  The answer to what scares me depends on the race, for my June race I'm concerned about the swim as it's open water and quite a bit longer than my swim last year, even if I do it as a Sprint.  For my August race I'm worried about the bike.  The course is HILLY, which I was warned about, but I wasn't ready for what it turned out to be and my butt got kicked big time.  I had nothing left for the run, and I mean nothing.  After the ride the TA volunteers yelled at me to make sure I don't run in the TA, I laughed.  If I could have made even decent time on the run I would have done great.  But I was gassed.  So I need to work on my swim for my first race, and I really need to work on my bike for my second race.  The runs don't worry me because I figure if I can get to them in good order I'll gut my way through it OK.  I just have to get there with something left in the tank.

All of that said, I need accountability to keep my training on schedule, and help learning how to actually run my race so I can in fact RUN on the RUN.  That might be nice, to run the run.  And now that I'm in a group and have to answer for my sloth like ways I'm scheduling a trip to the dreadmill tonight.  See, you all are good for me already. 

Dan.

2012-01-09 11:48 AM

Regular

Hi everyone, glad to make it in.  I suspect we'll get to know each well in the next few months.  I look forward to that.  

What I am most afraid of:

1/ hills (I now live in Florida, the bridge is all the incline I get and I have yet to do it with my bike), The Rhode Island race is a bit/a lot? hillier than here so I am worried for both for the bike and the run

2/ drinking on my bike (have to slow down to a crawl and still manage to lose an occasional bottle) plus then the risk of leaking during the run if I drink too much (too much information, I am sure)

3/ being tired (jet lagged) or not being recovered enough from previous workout and still needing to work out, I can talk myself out of training really easy.  "If I am that tired surely my body is trying to tell me something etc. "  Like Dan I feel more accountable already, plus hearing what you all are doing will keep me going.

4/ nutrition:  I cannot stomach any gels, one of my main reasons for working out is to maintain weight (and I love the feeling afterwards I have to admit, sometimes even during the run I really like the feeling), still have this sense I will gain if I start eating now while exercising.   

Oh, was there a limit to our obstacles?  I could actually keep going for a while

Pam

2012-01-09 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3979752

Veteran
Woodstock, Georgia

Thanks for letting me in before you closed.

I am 43, male, previous(long time ago) athlete.  Been saying I was going to do this for years and never pulled the trigger.

Want to get in shape, lose some weight and feel good.. not necessarily in that order!

Biggest fear is maintaining the drive/training!

Will be attempting my first Sprint sometime between May and August depending upon how this all works out.

Looking forward to changing my lifestyle and lots of good advice and support

Monte

2012-01-09 1:19 PM

Washington DC

I totally forgot to say my name, and the computer ate the post I tried to do last night, whoops.I'm Maria, and I'm in Chicago. I have a doctor's appointment Wednesday. In the past she's always advocated exercise for me to drop weight, but I've never had anyone check my heart or anything so we'll see.

Suzie, yeah, it's nice having another totally new person.. but way to go on the 4 minutes of running! I can't do that yet.

Yesterday I did 8 intervals of running 1 minute and walking 1.5. Excited to lengthen that time. I really enjoyed looking at Jeff Galloway's site... I think the walk breaks are exactly what I need to make this manageable, and it's comforting knowing that I don't have to run the whole time.

I'm most nervous about overheating honestly. Chicago in August can be nice or extremely hot, and I don't sweat a ton.. I mostly just overheat. We'll see how training progresses once the summer hits, hopefully I'll acclimate.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Left.Right.Repeat - CLoSED for the season - will reopen Jan 2013 Rss Feed  

of 57