BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-05-04 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3966875

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season

Kristen - I think you should go for the full!  Is it Mohawk-Hudson?  If so, I suspect the full will also fill quickly.  That race has gotten a lot of good press lately.  You still have plenty of time to train.  I'm planning on a fall marathon, but haven't settled on which one yet.  Possibly Hamilton Ontario or maybe OuterBanks NC...

I ran a 7 man/77 mile relay race last weekend.  It was a lot of fun, but I've been an absolute slug this week.  I'm doing a half tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!

There was supposed to be a ride the day after the relay of the bike course for the HIM I'm doing this summer, but it got cancelled because it was too cold.   Hopefully I'll be able to get out on Sunday.

2012-05-04 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4190233

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
tribeagle - 2012-05-04 10:36 AM

Kristen - I think you should go for the full!  Is it Mohawk-Hudson?  If so, I suspect the full will also fill quickly.  That race has gotten a lot of good press lately.  You still have plenty of time to train.  I'm planning on a fall marathon, but haven't settled on which one yet.  Possibly Hamilton Ontario or maybe OuterBanks NC...

I ran a 7 man/77 mile relay race last weekend.  It was a lot of fun, but I've been an absolute slug this week.  I'm doing a half tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!

There was supposed to be a ride the day after the relay of the bike course for the HIM I'm doing this summer, but it got cancelled because it was too cold.   Hopefully I'll be able to get out on Sunday.

Yes, it is the Mohawk-Hudson!  I'm still thinking about the full 26.2...  Haven't yet registered but will let you all know when/if I do!!  And I should register soon if I'm going to do it, so I don't get shut out of the full marathon, too!!

2012-05-09 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Good luck at the Season Opener this weekend, Mav and Erin!!  I'll be volunteering at the race, so hopefully I'll see you and will cheer you on!!
2012-05-14 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Congrats on the Season Opener, Marianne and Erin!!  It was fun to see you on the run course!!  You guys looked awesome out there!!  

2012-05-15 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4208792

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Thanks Kristen, it was great to see you at the water station!  I was SO ready to be done by that point in the race. Tongue out

THanks to all of you for the inspires lately!  I appreciate it!   I hope you have gotten on your bike by now, KIM!!!! and that graduation was wonderful for you, Erica.     Nancy, how are things going?

Confession of my Wimpiness: I have been on the verge of backing out of the Ashland Oly (6/17) so many times because I don't think I am ready to run 10k after 2 hrs on the bike, and I do NOT want to walk/slog/drag myself to the finish.  I registered about six months ago, planning to be a lot stronger/faster than I actually am now, LOL!   F.I.R.M. has a very liberal transfer policy, and I could easily shift my registration to any other race of the season.   But just about everyone I've mentioned this to has told me to HTFU, more or less, so the Oly is still on my calendar.  Now have to get my butt in gear and up the mileage for a few weeks.

Thanks again, mav, for the icewater open-water swim practice Laughing  It helped a lot!!

I am volunteering for the Escape the Cape in June.  I am still planning to register for the Title 9 / Mass St Oly in July.  Kristen, are you still in for this one?  Anyone else?

Cheers,

Erin

2012-05-15 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4211355

User image

Erincsg - 2012-05-15 4:15 PM

THanks to all of you for the inspires lately!  I appreciate it!   I hope you have gotten on your bike by now, KIM!!!! and that graduation was wonderful for you, Erica.     Nancy, how are things going?

If by "my bike" you mean the one at the gym that goes no where? YES  Embarassed

This weekend, Ill dig it out of the garage.  I think I may need an adjustment period on that mountain bike still.  The road bike is just too big

Congrats on your tri of the season! 

2012-05-16 8:47 AM

Uxbridge

Kristen, THANKS SO MUCH FOR VOLUNTEERING!!!! So good to see you out there. It was a fun race. Always good to kick off the season.

I am still trying to figure out my next race. may do the Hyannis Sprint 1 because my parents will be on the Cape and they have never seen me race. A sprint is about all they could tolerate but I think they would enjoy it!

Erin ..DO THE OLY!!!! You will be fine. Sprint racers tend to be faster. Some people only race sprints...so you will see that some of the times/paces in the oly's are a bit slower. People who run 8 mm in a sprint are likely to be doing 9's in in oly.

Sorry I have been so absent...so much going on...the computer is last on my list.

Hope you are all training hard and getting ready for the season!

2012-05-16 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4211355

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-05-15 4:15 PM

Thanks Kristen, it was great to see you at the water station!  I was SO ready to be done by that point in the race. Tongue out

Confession of my Wimpiness: I have been on the verge of backing out of the Ashland Oly (6/17) so many times because I don't think I am ready to run 10k after 2 hrs on the bike, and I do NOT want to walk/slog/drag myself to the finish.  I registered about six months ago, planning to be a lot stronger/faster than I actually am now, LOL!   F.I.R.M. has a very liberal transfer policy, and I could easily shift my registration to any other race of the season.   But just about everyone I've mentioned this to has told me to HTFU, more or less, so the Oly is still on my calendar.  Now have to get my butt in gear and up the mileage for a few weeks.

Thanks again, mav, for the icewater open-water swim practice Laughing  It helped a lot!!

I am volunteering for the Escape the Cape in June.  I am still planning to register for the Title 9 / Mass St Oly in July.  Kristen, are you still in for this one?  Anyone else?

Cheers,

Erin

Erin - I'm doing Escape the Cape on June 2nd, so maybe you'll be passing out the water to ME this time, haha!!  And I'm going to pass on the Mass State OLY in July.  I've already registered for 5 sprints this summer and I think that will be it for me until next year!  I will definitely be doing an OLY next season, MARK MY WORD!! 

2012-05-19 7:07 AM
in reply to: #4213815

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
kpringle - 2012-05-16 7:07 PM
Erincsg - 2012-05-15 4:15 PM.

Cheers,

Erin

Erin - I'm doing Escape the Cape on June 2nd, so maybe you'll be passing out the water to ME this time, haha!!  And I'm going to pass on the Mass State OLY in July.  I've already registered for 5 sprints this summer and I think that will be it for me until next year!  I will definitely be doing an OLY next season, MARK MY WORD!! 

Ok, so I'm an addict. Surprised   I had some good runs and swims this week and am encouraged.   I'm going to volunteer at the coed Escape the Cape on June 2 and I signed up for the women's race on June 3.   My husband is trying to figure out how he can make a field trip to Woods Hole with the boys while I am in Onset; am grateful they are supportive of this craziness!!

2012-05-20 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

haha, erin!!  there are MUCH worse things you could be addicted to!!  and that's great that your family is so supportive... 

so i ran the 10K of evan's run in norwell earlier today.  man, what a complete SUFFERFEST!!  mav, did you end up doing it??  i ran 3 minutes slower than i ran it last year.  it was a 10:30 start; temps were already high 70s and the sun was blazing.  running and heat are not a good combination for me!!  and to top it all off, there was definitely NOT enough water on the 10K course.  the last water stop ran out of water altogether.  i was dying!!  so trying to keep things in perspective...  if there were cooler temps, i'm SURE i would have beaten my time from last year.  i ended up taking 3 walk breaks today.  i should have run with a water bottle.  better luck next year! :P

2012-05-20 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4219358

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
kpringle - 2012-05-20 6:50 PM

haha, erin!!  there are MUCH worse things you could be addicted to!!  and that's great that your family is so supportive... 

so i ran the 10K of evan's run in norwell earlier today.  man, what a complete SUFFERFEST!!  mav, did you end up doing it??  i ran 3 minutes slower than i ran it last year.  it was a 10:30 start; temps were already high 70s and the sun was blazing.  running and heat are not a good combination for me!!  and to top it all off, there was definitely NOT enough water on the 10K course.  the last water stop ran out of water altogether.  i was dying!!  so trying to keep things in perspective...  if there were cooler temps, i'm SURE i would have beaten my time from last year.  i ended up taking 3 walk breaks today.  i should have run with a water bottle.  better luck next year! :P

That's terrible! The race people CANNOT run out of water!  Tongue out   I did a charity bike ride today, 36 miles = my longest ever!  It started at 10, we went through Lincoln, Sudbury, Stow, Maynard, Wayland, and I had no idea where I was most of th etime; it was a remarkably flat course. I was supposed to do a brick, and I brought my running shoes with me, but I was beat afterwards.  No run, but I ate A LOT!!!

2 weeks until Escape the Cape...I'm excited about it!

2012-05-30 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran

I was up in your neck of the woods this past weekend!  I did a 5miler in Truro and won 6 lbs of lobster in the raffle drawing afterward!  I got a lot of other good running in too.

We usually drive to the Cape at night to miss traffic (we left Wed after work arriving at the bridge around midnight-ish) however the way back is a different story.  This time we had to stop at an auction house in Medford to pick up some lamps (this is the story of my life as my husband deals in antique lighting).  Traffic on 93 was awful - is it always like that?  There didn't appear to be a reason - no construction, accident, etc.  Normally we just shoot back up 495 and don't get into Boston traffic.

Anyway, I'm back at work now and looking forward to getting back to the pool and on my bike.  Corporate Challenge (Rochester, NY) is tomorrow night.  Hope you all had good Memorial Day weekends.

2012-06-02 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

congratulations on the 6lb lobster win, courtney!  that sounds fantastic - i LOVE lobstah!!  and yes, I-93 is notoriously bad for traffic, there is congestion about 80% of the time on that stretch by Medford. 

so i had my first tri (this season) today.  i did the co-ed Escape the Cape race and even saw our very own Erin there who was volunteering!  it was great to see you, erin!!  

the race itself was ROUGH due to the horrible weather today.  the swim was cancelled so they turned it into a duathlon.  i LOVE swimming so this was a bit of a disappointment for me.  oh well!  i've definitely improved my times compared to last year, so that made me happy.  and i probably could have even gone faster if the roads were dry, ha!

here's the link to my race report in case you're interested:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=443485

hope everyone is staying dry and enjoying their weekend!!  and GOOD LUCK tomorrow, erin!!!  hope the weather shapes up!! 

2012-06-02 5:54 PM

User image

Princeton
Congratulations Kristen! You are a trooper for doing it in this weather.
2012-06-02 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

I'm glad I saw you at the start Kristen!!!!    And I met tri-bob today too I think it was his first tri!!    Volunteering was interesting, enjoyable, met some really sweet and nervous newbies!!  But  the race conditions sucked!   I felt so bad for all you  athletes.  I'm guessing about half the registered athletes did not show, by the boxes envelopes we had left at the reg table.  (Just looked at the results; 498 started the race; we had 698 registered)    Several women asked for transfers to tomorrow's Title 9.     Running will be fine but I DO NOT want to ride my bike in the rain BOO.  THe forecast keeps changing.

Kristen, did the maxperformance people send you a 50% discount code after you volunteered last time? (I read that is one of their perks, and frankly it was a big incentive for me.)

Edited by Erincsg 2012-06-02 7:10 PM
2012-06-03 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4241162

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Erincsg - 2012-06-02 8:05 PM

I'm glad I saw you at the start Kristen!!!!    And I met tri-bob today too I think it was his first tri!!    Volunteering was interesting, enjoyable, met some really sweet and nervous newbies!!  But  the race conditions sucked!   I felt so bad for all you  athletes.  I'm guessing about half the registered athletes did not show, by the boxes envelopes we had left at the reg table.  (Just looked at the results; 498 started the race; we had 698 registered)    Several women asked for transfers to tomorrow's Title 9.     Running will be fine but I DO NOT want to ride my bike in the rain BOO.  THe forecast keeps changing.

Kristen, did the maxperformance people send you a 50% discount code after you volunteered last time? (I read that is one of their perks, and frankly it was a big incentive for me.)

I was wondering how many people didn't show up to race yesterday!  Thanks for this info, Erin! 

I did not receive a discount for volunteering at the Season Opener.  I think probably b/c I volunteered as a Baystate Tri Team member...  One of the team's incentives if you volunteered at that race is you get entered into a raffle to win a sweet tri bike!! 

Can't wait to hear how your race goes/went today, Erin!  You may have already finished at this point!! 

2012-06-12 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

@mav, et al -- from Facebook

WANTED! We are looking for someone that is willing to sag the last cyclist in this Saturday's Patriot Half. This job requires the person to ride their bike behind the last cyclist starting at approximately 8:30am and will likely take 4+ hours (56 miles at less than 14 mph). We'll gladly comp this volunteer a free race entry to any of our sprint tris this year and they would also receive a free pass to the post-race catered meal. Email me at [email protected] if interested. Thanks!

2012-06-12 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

and anyone up for Cranberry Oly in August?  mav?  A few spots left.

‎11 spots left in the Cranberry Trifest Olympic distance race...
http://www.sunmultisportevents.com/Cranberry_Trifest.htm

2012-06-18 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Hi gals, thanks for the inspires lately Laughing   I finished my first Oly, in one piece and still smiling. It was hard.  FWIW, here's a RR. 

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=446525

How's everyone doing?

2012-06-20 7:01 AM

User image

Princeton
Erin congrats on a great race and thanks for posting a detailed race report! Sounds like you had a fun time!
2012-06-26 11:50 PM

User image

Is anyone interested in the Mill City Tri next Sunday (The 8th)?

http://www.doublecracing.com/Mill_City_Info__Register.html

My Grandmother passed away this past weekend and due to the minister's availability we will not be able to have the services untill then.  I think this is my Babas way of having the last word she thought it was rediculous and dangerous to go running.  I cannot get a refund but I can transfer or defer to 2013 so I thought I would throw it out there before derferring

Hope everyones races are going well.  Have had my Brothers family staying with us and now all this its been a tough stretch training wise.

2012-06-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4282208

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
TriB4Bride - 2012-06-27 12:50 AM

My Grandmother passed away this past weekend and due to the minister's availability we will not be able to have the services untill then.  I think this is my Babas way of having the last word she thought it was rediculous and dangerous to go running.  I cannot get a refund but I can transfer or defer to 2013 so I thought I would throw it out there before derferring

Hope everyones races are going well.  Have had my Brothers family staying with us and now all this its been a tough stretch training wise.

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, Kimberley.    I can't do the Mill City tri b/c I'm already doing a tri in NY that day (Pinebush).  Thanks for the offer, though.  Sorry you'll miss it, but maybe hold onto the deferment for next year?!

2012-06-29 7:33 AM
in reply to: #4282208

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

Oh Kim I am sorry for your loss. How nice that she was in your life for so long and could meet your little one!

I am interested in your spot for that race. ( If you've already deferred, no prob!!  Something to look forward to for next year!). Looks like $70 plus USAT fee?  When do you need a decision?  I have to get my husband's blessing for another Sunday away.

2012-06-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4286220

User image

Erincsg - 2012-06-29 8:33 AM

Oh Kim I am sorry for your loss. How nice that she was in your life for so long and could meet your little one!

I am interested in your spot for that race. ( If you've already deferred, no prob!!  Something to look forward to for next year!). Looks like $70 plus USAT fee?  When do you need a decision?  I have to get my husband's blessing for another Sunday away.

Thanks Ladies, She was 93.  She absolutely had a good long life.

Erin, I have not yet deffered I believe their site says I have untill the 4th, Keep me Posted.

2012-06-30 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
Kim, I'm sorry to say that I can't take that race entry in Lowell it looks like a fun race. I'm glad you won't lose the $$ completely
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's Massachusetts Mentor Group/Full for the Season Rss Feed  

of 23