General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Naked Juice and 'juicing' Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-03 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Naked Juice and 'juicing'

Bought a variety pack of Naked Juice at Costco a couple weeks ago and really like it.  Also watched a movie yesterday called Fat, Sick, Dead that documents a few peoples experience weight loss process while only 'eating' juice for 60 days.  The results were pretty amazing.  Wondering if anyone incorporates Naked Juice or juicing into their diet and to what extent. 

Buying the Naked Juice is very convenient but obviously juicing on your own would would allow you to make a much more healthful juice (since you can add many more fruits and vegitables than what is in Naked Juice). 

I guess I am trying to decide if buying a juicer is worth the investment ($ and time).  I really want to lose the extra baggage around my middle and maybe incorporating juicing could help?.

2012-01-03 9:33 AM
in reply to: #3967803

Subject: RE: Naked Juice and 'juicing'

IMO the biggest component of 'only eat this' diet is that it removes the entire decision making process.  It's easy to make good food decisions when there is only one option.  It is definitely an effective means to lose weight quickly but usually not practical for maintaining weight.  You miss key steps to the process; learning portion control, foods choices at home and out to eat, indulgences in moderation etc. If you will make use of a juicer and it will enable you to eat healthier then by all means buy one.  There is no silver bullet, that includes the juice!

gl

2012-01-03 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
2012-01-03 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
San Luis Obispo

I juice several times a year.  When I do, I drink only fresh juice which I have prepared that morning.  I don't purchase it manufactured.  I want to know exactly what's in my juice and the quality of the fruits/vegetables that go into my juicer.

Juicing is not any healthier than eating whole fruits and vegetables. Juicing extracts the juice from fresh fruits or vegetables. The resulting liquid contains most of the vitamins, minerals and plant chemicals found in the whole fruit. However, whole fruits and vegetables also have healthy fiber, which is lost during most juicing.

Personally, when juicing, I only use fresh juice at home verses purchasing Naked Juice.  Fresh juice is the best as I know exactly what it contains - no added sugars or preservatives.

Proponents say that juicing is better for you than is eating whole fruits and vegetables because your body can absorb the nutrients better and it gives your digestive system a rest from working on fiber. They say that juicing can reduce your risk of cancer, boost your immune system, help you remove toxins from your body, aid digestion, and help you lose weight.

But there's no sound scientific evidence that extracted juices are healthier than the juice you get by eating the fruit or vegetable itself. On the other hand, if you don't enjoy eating fresh fruits and vegetables, juicing may be a fun way to add them to your diet or to try fruits and vegetables you normally wouldn't eat. You can find many juicing recipes online or mix up your own combinations of fruits and vegetables to suit your taste.  One of my favorites is cucumber, carrot and apple.  Try adding some garlic or ginger in there too

If you try juicing, do make only as much juice as you can drink at one time because fresh squeezed juice can quickly develop harmful bacteria. And when juicing, try to keep some of the pulp. Not only does it have healthy fiber, but it can help fill you up. If you buy commercially produced fresh juice from a juicing stand or store, select a pasteurized product. Note that juices from some fruits and vegetables can contain more sugar than you might realize, and this can add unwanted calories and lead to weight gain. 

If you want to do a serious juicing regiment, check out www.herbdoc.com.  There's other's out there too, but I use his routine.Good luck

2012-01-03 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago

Juicing can be part of a healthy diet for sure.  However, if your goal is weight loss, my suggestion is that you eat a well rounded diet.  Count your calories and take in fewer calories than you expend.

2012-01-03 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm a big fan of the Naked Juice drinks.  I drink a Protein Zone Mango every morning after my workout and eat a banana.  It's honest to god the only protein drink I've found that actually tastes good.    I'll also occasionally grab a regular Mango or Strawberry Banana Naked drink when I get the cravings for something sweet.

Now for just Juicing... In my opinion any diet that isn't a permanent lifestyle change will fail.  I can guarantee you that if you drink only juice drinks for 2 months you will lose weight.  However, as soon as you stop the old patterns will come back with a vengeance.

2012-01-03 11:11 AM

Veteran
Buying juice is not the same, as soon as you convert fruit and veg to juice and expose it to air it begins to oxidize. Not only that, the pasteurization process can kill beneficial enzymes and reduce the amount of good vitamins and nutrients.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Naked Juice and 'juicing' Rss Feed