General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done an IM with the K-swiss K-Ona Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-08 11:44 PM

User image

Subject: Has anyone done an IM with the K-swiss K-Ona
Just wondering what you think of the shoe for a 26.2 mile run and if the drainage works good?

2012-01-09 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3979001

User image

Fox Valley, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Has anyone done an IM with the K-swiss K-Ona
Drainage works well and I also think airflows in the shoe while running. Never had a problem with moisture. OOOps, Should have read the thread closer.  I didnt not complete an IM with them, only a 70.3 and I loved them. K-Ona and Kinarva are the only shoes I will wear now.
2012-01-09 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3980775

User image

Good info, thanks. I will give them a shot in the Galveston 70.3 this April.
2012-01-09 7:27 PM

User image

I just did IMAZ in them, and loved them.  These are my new go-to shoe for both racing and training.  I think they are a great all-around tri shoe.  Light, well ventillated, good drainage (though I'm not dumping water all over myself, but the holes are there) and surprisingly good cushioning. 

I was a bit concerned about cushoning, as IMAZ has a lot of running on concrete, so I picked up a fresh new pair a couple weeks early and did a few runs in them to make sure they were broken in but still fresh.  My prior pair had about 300 miles or so on them, so I could have gotten by with those, but I figured, better safe than sorry.   Feet felt great the entire run.  And that's saying something, as I used to always complain about sore feet on long runs. 

I moved to the K-Ona this year, and I did find that my feet were sore for a couple of months, as my prior shoes were more structured, so there was an adjustment period there.  If you're already running in them, then you should be good to go. 

2012-01-10 1:12 PM

The Woodlands, TX
I did IMTX in mine. Probably the best shoe I have raced in. Lightweight but with good cushioning. Drainage works both ways. Step in a puddle and instant wet sox.  I also did Phuket 70.3 in them and had no problems. I have the K-ona C. Too bad KSwiss quit making the color scheme I liked. Oh well.
2012-01-10 1:30 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Its a fantastic IM/marathon shoe.  I tried them on at the expo at IMCDA a few years ago and immediately loved them after a few minutes of test driving them.  Raced on them 2 days later and never had a blister.  I bought a backup pair on sale at the IMWI expo the next year.  Highly recommend this shoe.

2012-01-10 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA

this is the shoe I used for IM Louisville.  I would 90% recommend these shoes for an IM. 

Just as has been written already, I love these shoes and they are my go to race shoes.  Prior to using them, I thought the drainage was a gimmick but it really works well.  However, the last 5 miles or so of the IM run, the balls of my feet felt like they were being hit with hammers every time they hit the ground.  I suspect that I could have alleviated this problem had I switched to a less cushioned shoe much sooner or had I done a lot more run training prior to IM.  So, provided your feet are ready for less cushion, they are great. 

2012-01-10 4:19 PM

User image

Thanks for all the comments. It's comforting knowing it is so well liked by everyone. I am comming off of the DS trainer; one of the most cushioned shoes on the market, so I will build up my mileage on them slowly. I did another 5.5 in them today and they felt great other than a little blister on my small toe. No big deal, I'm sure that will go away after my feet get used to them.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has anyone done an IM with the K-swiss K-Ona Rss Feed