General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-11 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Irvine
Subject: How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out?
Hey everyone,
I'm returning to this site after some time off and I have started religiously logging my nutrition and training. In fact, I've gotten a little OCD about it. One thing confuses me though: how does the nutritional journal calculate calories out? Particularly the "from lifestyle" count.
I went though the process of calculating my average daily calorie consumption using the system in "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald and came to the conclusion that I need to consume 2100 calories a day to put myself in a 500 calorie daily deficit. But the nutrition journal is telling me I'm routinely more than a 1000 calories under, which would be great if true, but I'm not sure which one to believe.
Anyone have some insight?

2012-01-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #3984044

Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out?

Should be under Settings>Trng Log Settings>Log Defaults.  Under Calorie Exp there is a drop down with some choices based on your normal activity during the day.

That said, I am not a big believer in trying to calculate calories expended.  It is very difficult, changes daily/weekly, etc.  I think an effort in futility.  Calories expended from exercise can bes estimated a little better, but not much.  But not exercise expenditures can vary greatly from person to person, day to day, etc.  Even during sleep, the calories expended can vary alot day to day, depending on what your brain is doing while sleeping.  the brain can use significant energy while sleeping if you are dreaming, etc.

2012-01-13 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3986527

User image

Regular
Irvine
Subject: RE: How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out?
Thanks. I know you're right and honestly I'm not too concerned with an exact figure. I've looked at things like the bodybugg but decided I didn't like the idea of geeking out on dialing in the perfect daily expenditure. I was just confused by the huge difference between methods. I have the settings on moderate daily activity.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How does the nutrition journal calculate calories out? Rss Feed