General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » very new to this Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-13 1:40 PM

Kentucky
Subject: very new to this
Hello,
I am new to this website and this sport. In fact, I haven't officially started yet I am training for a marathon in December and when I finish that, I really want to start thinking about doing a triathlon. I am a 42 year old female who only started running and trying to get in shape 3 years ago. One thing I love to do is lift weights. But I found when training for a marathon, it was too taxing to lift and train as the miles increased. One reason I am so interested in triathlons is because it seems to be a good fit - I understand lots of triathletes lift weights. So I have a question about this...I have seen several sites with weight training programs that compliment tri training, but some recommend heavy weights, low reps and others say its best for triathletes to go light weights, high reps. Any recommendations? And how often? Do you all find it hard to get all 3 sport workouts in along with weight training?? Thanks so much! This is a great site

2003-11-13 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1739

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: very new to this
Welcome aboard matey. Good to hear you have made a start. Heavy weights with low reps will increase strength, where less weight with more reps will increase endurance. I would be going with, and I do it myself, less weight more reps. My current program with reguards to the gym is 5 times a week for around 45 to 60 minutes. It is all about managing what time you have during a week, and what your body can handle. Look aroud this site, it will answer most of your questions also, Ron, Michael and the rest of the team have put togeather a great information resource, and we all put our two cents in

Hope this is a start

Craig
2003-11-13 3:18 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

of course i have to chime in...i love lifting and find it (too) challenging to balance lifting and tri's.

of course heavy lifting will be counterproductive to tri training as u will have reduced flexibility, will be sore alot, and be slower WHILE light lifting will be productive by reducing injury through strong joints and tendons.  depends on your goals:

want mass?  want to gain weight?  then u must lift heavy.  u must tax your muscles if u want growth - that means heavy lifting where u go to fatigue be it light or heavy days.  my triathlon goals are NOT to be a front of the pack guy but to offer an alternative to 'cut up' while providing a great calorie burning experience and to also keep my circulation system in tip-top shape.  plus triathlons allows some competition...general weightlifting does not.

if u don't want muscle mass then DONT lift heavy AND don't go to exhaustion.  in my experience, my growth occured ONLY when i had 1) proper intake of protein/carbs 2) mix of heavy and light days 3) no matter what day, every last rep of each set was to exhaustion (need spotter) THAT is growth their.

Now i feel that it will not harm u to lift 'heavy' - just dont' go to fatigue.  make sure u can always handle that last rep.  keep the sets low (3 as opposed to say 5) and the exercises per muscle group few.  having a few heavy days will create stronger joints and build bone density. 

SO THE BIG QUESTION IS: what r your triathlon goals?  do u just want to have fun (myself here)?  OR do u want to place competitively?  being that u love lifting, and assuming u like to lift heavy u must answer that question to tailor your lifting program.  lifting heavy and keeping  or building muscle mass will decrease flexibility and make u slower than someone who is JUST doing light sets (maybe ~70% of max), not going to fatique - they will be fast while maintaining a good degree of joint, bone and tendon strength.

so define your goals, let us know, and i'm sure a lot of us here can help u as most of us lift to some extent depending on our tri goals.

(if u want to be competitive...don't listen to me or follow my weight program! this seems to have gotten very long winded!  not sure if i have really said anything.   )

oh yeah...welcome to the site and, soon, to the awesome world of triathlons!

good luck on your impending marathon!

2003-11-13 7:15 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I think that your questions have been answered! But I still wanted to tell you that we are glad to have you on the board. We look forward to hearing your race reports.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-14 5:51 AM

Kentucky
Thanks for all the great information. I think as I begin to get into this, my goals will become apparent. I'm so new to it that I'm not quite sure yet. And thanks for the warm welcome too!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » very new to this Rss Feed