General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
67F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 34m 19s
Overall Rank = 198/356
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 30/41
Pre-race routine:

Up early at 4:30am. Oatmeal breakfast. water and gatorade. on the drive down, small 12oz cup of coffee, pop tart, banana, more water and gatorade. arrived 1:15 before race start.
Event warmup:

light stretching, small jog. not much else.
Swim
  • 37m 50s
  • 1930 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the nastiest water I have ever swum in. It looked nice from the bank, but add 100 or so other athletes getting in at the same time, the water turned into a dark chocolate milk sewer smelling cess pit! Another problem was that the entrance to the water was only about 10 meters wide. The sprint race began first and as my wave was entering the water for the in-water start, the leaders of the sprint race were trying to get out of the water. A little chaotic!
The swim was a 2 loop counter clockwise route. Within the first 15 yards I got swam over and took in a mouthful of water. The taste and smell were horrible. I actually had to stop to try and catch my breath and really had a hard time getting into a rhythm. For the first half lap I could not control my breathing properly. I think the thought that I had swallowed water and what it may do to my stomach throughout the race panicked me a little. Instead of breathing every 3 strokes, I found that I could not hold my breath that long so ended up breathing every 2 on the same side. As we spread out I did manage to calm down and eventually got into my rhythm of breathing every 3 strokes. The water changed from being shallow to being deep as you swam around the square course. The back stretch was very shallow and I found my hands hitting the bottom on a few occasions. My second lap was much smoother as I had found my stroke and some open water and as I glanced at my watch on the exit I was a little surprised to see 37:50 on the clock. I am not a great swimmer and was very happy with that time

What would you do differently?:

not drink the water!
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

The transition area was in a fenced off baseball field about 200 meters from the swim. I was on the end rack so my bike was easy to find. As soon as I got there I started drinking Gatorade to try and get rid of the taste of the lake, although the smell would stick with me for the rest of the day! Had a nice steady transition and was out in 3:39.
Bike
  • 2h 59m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a 2 loop bike ride along pretty quiet roads, although its hard to imagine that it ever gets busy in that area of Jersey! The first 6 miles or so out of transition were slightly uphill and into the wind that blew at around 10mph for most of the day. I set out in a steady rhythm down on the aerobars. My aim for the bike was 3 hours and I tried to pace myself to this. The run is the strongest part of my race and last year I had gone too hard on the bike and really suffered on the run. I did have people passing me on the bike but I managed to keep myself in check and to my plan and finished the first lap in about 1:30.
My nutrition plan for the race was to eat during the bike as I have had a hard time eating and running in the past. I ended up eating a pack of cliff shot blocks and about 8 fig newtons on the bike as well as water and Gatorade. This seemed to be enough and my stomach accepted it all without any problems. On the second lap I continued to stay to my plan, had my one and only stop to use the restroom (tree) of the whole race, and felt good as I completed the bike. I had on my Garmin GPS (I am a numbers junkie!) and had measured the ride as 54.23 miles. My finishing time on the bike was 2:59:47 and an average of 18.7 mph.
One little story from the bike. 99% of the locals were great during the race, clapping, cheering and encouraging but there is always that 1% you have to deal with. On my second lap there was around 5 of us close to each other (not drafting) as we rode down the wide shoulder. A big pick up truck came past all of us pretty fast and close then slowed down and pulled onto the shoulder in front of us. He then gassed the truck and screeched away leaving a huge cloud of black smoke from the exhaust pipe for us all to breath in! It wasn’t my first curse word of the day but I think it was the loudest!

Transition 2
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

From the dismount of the bike to transition was about 200 yards, and I used this to try and get my running legs. I actually felt good and strong off the bike and confident that I had a good run in me. A quick reset of the GPS, strapped on my fuel belt (I find it easier to drink from a bottle than a paper cup), a couple more fig newtons and I was on my way in 2:58. As left T2 I heard my name and looked over to see Colleen and Isabel cheering me on. That was awesome
Run
  • 1h 50m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I had my GPS set to record every mile on the run although I refused to look at it as I just wanted to run at a pace I felt good at. The only thing I kept an eye on was my HRM to keep that under control. My first mile ended up being a 7:25 which was insane but my legs were still a little strange. The run was 2 different out and backs along shade less roads. The temperature was around 70 degrees and was perfect for racing but the sun was strong. I was cruising for about the first 6 miles and felt good. I was passing people pretty regularly and had a good rhythm going. The second out and back was the toughest part of the race for me. It was a slight uphill into the wind all the way out for about 3 miles or so and the turnaround never seemed to come. After the turnaround I knew I was only 31/2 miles away, it was downhill and the wind was behind me. Knew I could finish and this gave me a good moral boost. I just kept a steady rhythm for the rest of the race and managed a good sprint finish (at least it felt like a sprint). As I crossed the line I was amazed to see 5:34:19! 33 minutes better than last year. The run ended up being 1:50:07 with an 8:25/mile average. Only 6 minutes slower than my Half Marathon PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Soda, roast beef, green beans, potatoes, water. Felt a little light headed but after I ate was ok. Very happy with my race and the race as a whole. Well run and well supported.
Congrats to Colleen and to Isabel ( who completed her first Triathlon). Can’t wait for the next one! Things to do different: use sunscreen. I had it but forgot to put it on. My shoulders are a little burnt right now!
Heart Rate: over the whole race my average Heart Rate was 156bpm. Max was 181 bpm

What limited your ability to perform faster:

need to be a stronger biker

Event comments:

more porta potties,lake just plain nasty

Last updated: 2006-02-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:50 | 1930 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/356
Performance: Good
Suit: QR shorty
Course: counter clockwise 2 lap swim.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:59:47 | 56 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:50:07 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Course: no shade
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-09 8:17 AM

User image

Westampton
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon

2006-05-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #418511

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon
Congratulations. Nice run!

FYI - I had 54.22 miles on my odometer - pretty close to your 54.23
2006-05-09 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
San mateo
Thanks for the report! I still can't imagine what it's like to race the distances you did! Again, congrats!

Also, Yes, I took pictures
2006-05-09 9:15 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Nice job especially on the run!! Check out the pictures on the website!! The swim pictures look like a array of swamp creatures emerging from that pond.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed