Subject: RE: Anyone else from WA?

Top page! Welcome to the third page

2008-12-16 11:35 PM
in reply to: #1855918

User image

Barrow Island, Western Australia

Hi Magda and DM,

No good DM hope you get back on track soon, especially with Christmas approaching gotta be in happy mood for that!  Had to laugh, last night went past the swim leg for the Mandurah Tri and it was flat as a mill pond!  but you're right just keep swimming!  Good luck on the Rocky Tri this weekend M,  I'd love to do it but I think/know I need to balance the family with Tris, Definitely doing the Rocky in January 

take care Mark

2008-12-17 5:37 AM
in reply to: #1857996

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Good luck for Sunday Magda, looks like the weather will be perfect
2008-12-18 12:28 AM
in reply to: #419397

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Oh its a shame you two can't do Rockingham! I'm not sure how I'll go because I'm working 10 X 10 hour days in a row so I'm quite knackered, but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. I think the forecast for Sunday is rain, but thats good because it won't be so hot out on the run course.

Have a good Chrissy & New Year!

2008-12-18 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1860390

User image

Darn it!   I'm really thinking I could give it a crack,  just have to check that I'm not stretching the familyship keep an eye out for a black felt bike!  at any rate have a great race!!
2008-12-21 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1862037

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

markmark - 2008-12-19 7:23 AM Darn it!   I'm really thinking I could give it a crack,  just have to check that I'm not stretching the familyship keep an eye out for a black felt bike!  at any rate have a great race!!

Did you manage to do it Mark? It was a great race

2009-01-04 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1866355

User image

G'day Magda,

trust all well for Christmas and the New Year, no I didn't race but went down for a look anyways, absolutely perfect day for it!  good to hear you had a good race.

2009-03-07 7:37 PM

Bunbury

I too am from WA, Bunbury. I have never done a tri race before or any other race actually! complete newbie, I began cycling to work on my mountain bike 4 months ago to lose weight and found out I love cycling, so I bought a 2006 Felt B2 tribike off ebay for $1400 and will be busy training up for some local starter events starting in November leading up to some OD races and eventually into the busselton half by May 2010 if my dreams come true.

One thing though I am terrified of sharks! are there shark nets put up for events? I feel the swim will be my best leg as I will hit the water like an epileptic monkey on speed in order to get the hell out of it as quick as I can Surprised

2009-03-07 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2004135

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

Hi Zane

I can't stop laughing at the vision of an epileptic monkey on speed  trying to escape from chasing sharks.  I think there's so many people and boats around making so much noise that all the sharks will be hiding and begging for their mummies.  If you post your training in the logs, we can start cheering you on with sarcastic, sorry, inspiring little messages.  I've done a couple of teeny sprints, the women's ones and do my first co-ed next week at Langley Park - I signed up thinking daylight saving would have ended by then but was wrong so it's going to be very dark and cold.  Busso HIM is my ultimate goal too, by 2013 when I'll be 50, if I can keep injury free.  Welcome aboard - sure you will find this site brilliant.

2009-03-13 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2004135

User image

Morning Zane, welcome aboard!  Good to see the West Aussies  becoming a force, myself I've been Triing for a couple of years now, being a runner I can totally understand where you're coming from with the water point of view, just Keep swimming (Dory) is the motto I stick with.  And as DM said earlier, log your training so we can keep you honest   and likewise for yourself to us. 

talk soon Mark

2009-03-16 7:40 AM

Bunbury

thanks for the encouraging words, I don't think it helps that shark week has only just finished a month ago on foxtel and that everytime I hear the news theres always a shark attack story Frown

I haven't figured out how to log my training yet but with winter quickly approaching I think there will be plenty of time for learning how, I will lose 130km of cycle commuting when it hits.

I have to get a trainer and join gym with a pool, is there a cycle indoor TT track in Perth?

2009-03-16 11:04 PM
in reply to: #2020014

User image

Yep know exactly where you're coming from with the winter training, I've survived one winter down at Boddington and ended up buying a mag trainer through Torpedo 7 for $100.00 plus. Tried riding at night with mixed results (bloody cold!) so the trainer is a good thing compared to an exercise bike in the gym!  As far as swimming, yep same thing, I'll be logging hours in the pool both outside and in to keep acclimatised to the cold water.  TT track? not sure someone else might be able to help out there.

PS no sharks in a swimming pool so you're safe for at least 6 months 

2009-03-17 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
I need a trainer for the winter - did you get one with variable resistance, does one need variable resistance?  I was amazed how much it rained my first winter here - I wasn't surprised when I checked and found out the rainfall was 1.5 times Edinburgh and that's only falls in about three months, not all year around!  The pool is good, I love getting to the pool on a cold evening and seeing the steam coming off the water.  Don't know of a TT track in Perth, but there are quite a few classes where you take your trainer and bike along and ride in a group for motivation etc.  Don't know of any down your way though.  Does Bunbury have a local tri club?
2009-03-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2022458

User image

Morning DM,  yes I got a variable Mag trainer, (I seen they were going for $139.00 on torpedo 7 the other week,) so you can vary the workload and gears till the cows come home, tried it out last night for the first time since summer and realised it's alot harder workout than roadwork, but a good thing as I'm not real keen on open highway night rides even with all the lights etc.  

2009-03-18 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Rats, I had a look and it's back up to $199 but even with delivery, it's still cheaper than my LBS, always good to have a recommendation though.  Do you have a special wheel/tire for it or do you just use the one on your bike?
2009-03-18 8:44 AM

Bunbury

yep there is a tri club in bunbury, www.bunburytriclub.asn.au I will be ready to join up for the November season if I stay fit through winter

I had a look at a trainer today, a gel design, the salesman said that I could use my original tyre on my standard wheel without excessive wear because of the rubber compound spiddle thingo on the trainer itself. But keep an eye out on ebay and quokka.com.au as I missed out on 2 advertised in Perth for $50 each, a tranzx and an italian model I can't remember what it's brand name was

2009-03-18 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2024665

User image

Nah I just use the tire that's on it at the moment, although I'm thinking I might swap it for one of my older tyres and keep my good one for roadwork/race (also from torpedo 7).
2009-03-22 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
yahooo, the trainer is now a weekly super special on Torpedo 7.  With delivery I got it for just under $150 but it's my Mother's Day Pressie so not allowed to use it until May, which is okay cos I go to the UK in a couple of weeks for five weeks so not too bad.  Zane, the special is on until 30th March.  
2009-03-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2033404

User image

Excellent! I was going to flick youse an Email to let you know
2009-03-22 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia

Hi everyone!

Wow I've missed out on some chatting here. Even though I normally talk to you through "inspires" anyway LOL!

Welcome Zane!

We got a mag trainer recently too, $200 from BikeForce Joondalup. Yes its a lot harder to cycle on than the road so I won't be using it until I really have to. Sef has been using it and it really goes through the rubber on your tyres - I think I'll be getting another tyre to use for the trainer so my road tyre isn't ruined

2009-03-23 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Hi guys, thought I'd hijack the thread and say hello, now I've finally found it

I've only done the one tri, but aim on doing the Hillarys sprint in a couple of weeks...... then I got persuaded to do the swim leg as part of a team at Busso which should be a lot of fun, and hopefully an incentive to aim for the full thing next year.

How do you guys measure out a distance for OWS training?  I'm closeish to the beach to jump in but have no idea as to how far I've got.  Plus I'm never too sure whether I should be heading down the coast (I'm at Mindarie) to one of the flagged beaches where it might be safer.....?

Anyway, gl with your training, and hopefully I'll be around a while - this triathlon thing is addictive already heheh, or is it just the training?

NigelW

2009-03-24 7:34 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia

Hi Nigel and welcome aboard, if you start logging your training, we can see what you’re up to and leave little messages, usually of support J.  Magda got me into logging and blogging and it’s really useful and good to keep in touch with what everybody’s up to.

I’m in Nedlands so my OWSs have been in the river (disgusting but necessary).  I used the route thingy on here to plot between landmarks using the satellite image so I knew how far I was swimming.  I hope to do some ocean swimming with one of the groups that do so feeling that there’s safety in numbers.

Yep, it’s addictive; I love the training and what it’s doing to my body and mind.  I’m sure there’s a PhD in there somewhere – ‘Psychological versus Physiological Addiction in Triathlon Training and Competition’ – sounds about right.

Good luck with Hilarys and Busso, I’ll be in the UK but logging in to see how you all do.

Daisy

PS to all who knew about the fight for Lords: I’m just back from the Subiaco council meeting and they voted to re-open Lords as a council-run facility after refurbishment, yahoo, big win for people power.  I really like Challenge and the staff are gorgeous but the gym is just bursting at the seams.

2009-03-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2036231

User image

Veteran
Melbourne

Hi Daisy

Thanks for the reply, and the welcome.  I'll try and get some training logged...... got a bike ride and 3 runs done this week, including my longest for 20+ years at 9.3km round the bridges, and then went out for a swim this evening to try out the new wetsuit I have in preparation for Busso. 

Wow, it's different in a wetsuit isn't it?  Strangely my arms felt ok but was a bit tight in my legs, but that could be down to the running I've done this week.  Though once I'd got out of the suit I did feel tired!  Not sure if I should use it at Hillarys or not, need to go out and try it again when it isn't so windy & choppy!

I know what you mean about the river, we went and tried it out before the BRW and it was stinking full of jellies, but then at the BRW I didn't see one even though others said there were loads of them.  Lucky me!

Take care and enjoy the UK, my wife is heading back in a couple of months, and my mother and sister are arriving this weekend!

2009-03-27 8:36 AM
in reply to: #2033404

Bunbury
daisymouse - 2009-03-23 10:42 AM
yahooo, the trainer is now a weekly super special on Torpedo 7.  With delivery I got it for just under $150 but it's my Mother's Day Pressie so not allowed to use it until May, which is okay cos I go to the UK in a couple of weeks for five weeks so not too bad.  Zane, the special is on until 30th March.  

sweet I placed my order so it should be here soon, good value there! I was looking at a second hand exact model on ebay that ended up selling for $130 about 4 weeks ago

2009-03-29 3:30 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
great news!  mine is sitting in the lounge smelling very new.  I need to clean my bike chain before I putting it on the trainer.  Mark, did you fit the special skewer or just use the one on your bike?
New Thread
Australian Triathlon Forum Western Australia » Anyone else from WA? Rss Feed  

of 5