General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody have experience with Valdora Bikes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-02-02 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Anybody have experience with Valdora Bikes?
Has anybody locally purchased or rode a Valdora bike? I'm looking to finally get a real tri bike. They are a local company and I'd like to "buy Arizona" if the bike is a good one. Thanks.

2012-02-03 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4026702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: Anybody have experience with Valdora Bikes?

Yes, I bought a PHX2 last October.  I looked at the latest stuff until I bought mine.  I got full Ultegra/Dura Ace group, the 58mm clinchers and Easton R500 wheels.  Pete provides good service and knowledge.  Every purchase comes with a custom fitting too, think of that.  I chose Valdora b/c it's a local AZ company and provides a very high level bike for a very competitive price.

I've got a lot of miles on it and would recommend a Valdora.  It is stiff, yet extraordinarily compliant over bumps.  Once you get your fit dialed in, I have no problem with staying on the aero bars for a long time.

My bike is in my avatar pic at the Amica tri... I came in fourth in 40-44 age group for my first time out.  I'm now training for HIM events.

2012-02-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4028334

User image

Veteran
tomspharmacy - 2012-02-03 3:49 PM

Yes, I bought a PHX2 last October.  I looked at the latest stuff until I bought mine.  I got full Ultegra/Dura Ace group, the 58mm clinchers and Easton R500 wheels.  Pete provides good service and knowledge.  Every purchase comes with a custom fitting too, think of that.  I chose Valdora b/c it's a local AZ company and provides a very high level bike for a very competitive price.

I've got a lot of miles on it and would recommend a Valdora.  It is stiff, yet extraordinarily compliant over bumps.  Once you get your fit dialed in, I have no problem with staying on the aero bars for a long time.

My bike is in my avatar pic at the Amica tri... I came in fourth in 40-44 age group for my first time out.  I'm now training for HIM events.

That's the input I'm looking for. I was concerned that not going through a bike shop would mean I would be giving up service and support. Glad to hear that they did a great fitting for you. It looks like a fine bike for the money.

Do they provide ongoing service and "tune ups" or did you have to go to a bike shop?

2012-02-04 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4028768

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
No, they did a tune up on mine after I bought it (just once perhaps), but I don't think that they do service like that regularly.  I go to Tribe in Scottsdale.  That being said, Pete brought my carbon clinchers to me the morning of the race last november, since I had to custom order them.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-02-04 9:22 AM
2012-02-04 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks. I was ready to pull the trigger on a P2 at Tribe when I found Valdora bikes. Now I'm going back and forth on which one to get. I'm sure either bike will be great. And more bike than I need right now for sure. I'm shooting for longer races this year and maybe an IM or two before I get too old. I want a bike that will get me there and both the Cervelo P2 and the Valdora will fit the bill.

I'm going to Valdors's showroom on Monday afternoon, after I get off work.

Edited by sksharp 2012-02-04 4:19 PM
2012-02-05 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Good luck with your choice, there are a lot of good looking, well built bikes out there.  I understand, it is very tough and a lot of money to spend. Either way, I'd like to hear what you get.

2012-02-18 11:44 PM

User image

Veteran
I ran across a PHX today, new at a bike shop (not saying where). Though the bike is new I'm not sure of the timeline between the PHX, PHX1 and PHX2. So it could actually be a couple of years old. Not sure what the differences are. This bike had a very attractive price and it's hard to pass up. Not sure the newer technology is worth the delta between this bike and a new PHX2. Guess I should flip a coin?
2012-02-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4055104

User image

Expert
Casa Grande

sksharp - 2012-02-18 9:44 PM I ran across a PHX today, new at a bike shop (not saying where). Though the bike is new I'm not sure of the timeline between the PHX, PHX1 and PHX2. So it could actually be a couple of years old. Not sure what the differences are. This bike had a very attractive price and it's hard to pass up. Not sure the newer technology is worth the delta between this bike and a new PHX2. Guess I should flip a coin?

I have been following this thread since you first started it, watching for your purchase and thoughts.  I am thinking of a Valdora, but am probably a month or two out.  I am really curious as to what your experience will be with them.  I am coming off a very nice roadie that is very comfortable but not a good tri bike and know I have to bite the bullet soon to see big improvements.  The Valdora's are so dang sexy!

2012-02-21 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Well, to both of you.  I'd recommend going over to visit Pete at Valdora anyways.  I hate to take sales from dealers, but I'd recommend buying directly from him, which is what I did.  He's located on E. University in Tempe. For all subsequent sales and service, I use a dealer like Tribe.

Good luck for both of you.

2012-02-21 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4055104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

sksharp - 2012-02-18 11:44 PM I ran across a PHX today, new at a bike shop (not saying where). Though the bike is new I'm not sure of the timeline between the PHX, PHX1 and PHX2. So it could actually be a couple of years old. Not sure what the differences are. This bike had a very attractive price and it's hard to pass up. Not sure the newer technology is worth the delta between this bike and a new PHX2. Guess I should flip a coin?

Well, there's aerodynamic differences between the PHX1 and PHX2, initial geometries are the same, but the PHX2 has more seat angle adjustability.  Not sure on weight, but my PHX2 with aluminum Eastons, no water, is only about 18lbs, with 2 ltr water, helmet, and gear, it only 5lbs (water is the largest proportion), my total weight is then about 178 at the moment, if I substitute my carbon clinchers, I am about 177 race weight, and if I take away a ltr bottle, it's down to 175.  The bikes are very light, but strong.

Edited by tomspharmacy 2012-02-21 12:25 PM
2012-02-23 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran

Ditto on going to talk to Pete. He will answer any and all of your questions. I'm still a week away from being able to pull the trigger. I'm still up in the air between a great deal on the PHX and going all in on a PHX2. There are certainly positives on both sides.

2012-03-06 11:25 PM

User image

Veteran

I decided to pull the trigger on a new PHX2 Black Pearl SRAM Rival with the SRAM Rival w/GXP 53/39 crankset and the Easton Areo wheels. That is one beautiful bike!

Buddy Jasen is going to help me with the measurements requested by Valdora's web site.

Here is a video showing all 8 measurements we have to do. BTW, the group who did the video aren't associated with Valdora as far as I know but when I showed it to Pete he said it correctly explained how to do the measurements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaH7g7YVvI&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. I'm still recovering from major surgery to my shoulder so it may be a month or so before I actually get to ride it...unless I get a trainer too.

2012-03-08 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

Sweet!!  Get well soon, I'm sure you're exited.  I'll have a brother now.  I'll be at the Marquee race in Arpil.  Are you planning on being at that one?

2012-03-08 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4086647

User image

Veteran
tomspharmacy - 2012-03-08 11:06 AM

Sweet!!  Get well soon, I'm sure you're exited.  I'll have a brother now.  I'll be at the Marquee race in Arpil.  Are you planning on being at that one?

I had the Marquee slated as my first full distance oly but I'm not sure I'll be able to make it this time around. Depends on what the doc (and my wife) says. Good luck to you.

2012-03-09 10:33 PM

User image

Veteran

No turning back now. I dropped off a check with Pete for my new PHX2 Black Pearl Rival with Easton wheels. It will be ready a week from Monday. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

The good news just keeps on coming. The cost of the bike includes a professional fitting by none other than Bill Willson at Camelback Coaching.

2012-03-10 12:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Yep... good on ya.  Can't wait to see it.

2012-03-10 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4089596

User image

Veteran
sksharp - 2012-03-09 10:33 PM

No turning back now. I dropped off a check with Pete for my new PHX2 Black Pearl Rival with Easton wheels. It will be ready a week from Monday. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

The good news just keeps on coming. The cost of the bike includes a professional fitting by none other than Bill Willson at Camelback Coaching.

(VALDORA SRAM RIVAL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
VALDORA SRAM RIVAL.jpg (23KB - 52 downloads)
2012-03-20 11:17 PM

User image

Veteran
I picked up my bike yesterday. Wowzah! It is one sweet bike. The picture doesn't do it justice. I'm still doing PT for my shoulder but I hope in a couple of weeks I can have the fitting. In the mean time I'll get some clipless pedals for it and tool around a bit. I can't say enough good things about Pete and Valdora.
2012-04-01 7:36 PM

User image

Veteran

PT on my shoulder has taken a good turn over the last couple of weeks so I took my PHX2 to Tribe for pedals and a wireless computer. As soon as I got it home I donned my bike shoes and took it out for a spin. It was like riding silk!

My only problem I had was feeling a bit stretched out to reach the shifters. Then when I reached them my shoulder started to bite me. I haven't had the fitting yet. I don't know if I was too stretched out and the fitting will solve the shoulder bite by bringing me forward (or moving the areobars in) or if I was in the right position but need more time to heal. I'm going to schedule the fitting and see what happens.

I figure the fitting will tell the tale.

2012-04-03 1:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Great, you'll enjoy the bike and that setup will serve you many years with good maintenance.  I hope the shoulder heals up for you.
2012-04-06 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm going in for my fitting tomorrow morning. After that it's ride man ride.

2013-05-09 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4123636

Good day Steeve, I am seriously thinking of getting a PHX 2 Black Pearl. From you chat, I understand that you have now been ridding your for one year.  I would really appreciate if you could share with me your feedbacks.  Thank you.
2013-05-11 3:00 PM
in reply to: #4735302

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo

I wrote in the other forum:

The PHX2 is a well constructed and excellent handling bike.  It is simple for maintenance and adjustments.  It has a strong following in the Soutwest and AZ, since it's a local company.  The owner is very friendly and ready to help out if you have any concerns or questions.  He attends and sponsors local races.  The bike is used by some of the fastest age group athletes in AZ.

2013-05-13 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale

Wow, how did I miss this thread for so long?  My feedback is probably too late, but for anyone else considering Valdora, here are some additional thoughts from a new Valdora user:

I have been riding Cervelo for three (3) years, and for my new ride I was automatically considering a new P3, but looked at Valdora for a number of reasons - highly recommend by a fellow triathlete (Dan Cadriel), local support and organization, good value (better components for a lower price than Cervelo, Specialized, etc), and I was interested in the angled top tube and carbon aero bars.

I finally pulled the trigger just before IM Oceanside and bought the PHX2 with Ultegra/DuraAce components (stock wheels as I have my SRAM S80 racing wheels already).  Needless to say, the carbon frame is quite different from the P1 aluminum frame I was used to.  Much stiffer, but strong and shock absorbent.  The bike feels "strong" just riding it, a bit more solid than my Cervelo.

I decided to wait for the custom fitting until after Oceanside and Leadman, and should be going to Camelback Coaching soon to get fit for IM AZ training.

As for tune ups, Alex at Tribe has always worked on my Cervelo, but I think I am going to have Nick at Valdora be the mechanic for all my PHX2 work, since he is more familiar with the frameset and details of the design.

Just for support, responsiveness, price and value, I would give Valdora strong recommendation to anyone considering a new tri bike.  Pete, Kendra and Nick are all good people.

2013-05-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: 101abp40

User image

Veteran
Avondale
I just ordered a Valdora PHX, the basic green and black Ultegra version, to help this big boy through IMAZ this year (my first IM). I should be able to pick it up this week. I am VERY excited about getting a Valdora as my first Tri bike. Pete was fantastic at explaining everything and showed a lot of patience with me. The feedback from this and similar threads helped lead me to this choice. Thanks all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anybody have experience with Valdora Bikes? Rss Feed  

of 1