General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM Advice: Houston vs Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-13 7:15 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Subject: First IM Advice: Houston vs Florida
First Half IM I hope to complete is Augusta this September. Ultimate goal for now is a full IM. Thinking Houston or Florida. 

Houston concerns: Heat and humidity, 3 loop run. Pros: My family lives in the woodlands. It was humid when I ran there in late January. I remember the summers being brutal when growing up....and that was playing golf and drinking beer. 

Florida concern: It would be 14 months after my half and before this race. That is an awful long time. Pros: Its an ocean swim which looks more appealing...I can drive there....it is flat and a 2 loop run. 

Thoughts...or other suggestions welcome. Louisville was another one I could drive to, but it isn't flat and Louisville doesn't really excite me....and late August could be worse than Houston. 

2012-02-13 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4045790

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: First IM Advice: Houston vs Florida

NeverEnough - 2012-02-13 7:15 PM First Half IM I hope to complete is Augusta this September. Ultimate goal for now is a full IM. Thinking Houston or Florida. 

Houston concerns: Heat and humidity, 3 loop run. Pros: My family lives in the woodlands. It was humid when I ran there in late January. I remember the summers being brutal when growing up....and that was playing golf and drinking beer. 

Florida concern: It would be 14 months after my half and before this race. That is an awful long time. Pros: Its an ocean swim which looks more appealing...I can drive there....it is flat and a 2 loop run. 

Thoughts...or other suggestions welcome. Louisville was another one I could drive to, but it isn't flat and Louisville doesn't really excite me....and late August could be worse than Houston. 

It all really depends on what you are looking for.  For me it would be Louisville - nothing is worse than a flat bike course for me.  I like being able to get up out of the saddle and Louisville is roller after roller.   I always suggest to people that they do a few 70.3 as long training days before the full.

2012-02-14 8:55 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg

It just depends on what you want out of it.  If you want your family to be there thats the answer.  I have several friends that raced both last year and they liked Florida better.  I am signed up for Florida this year.  You need to remember for IM training that IMTX is actually pretty early in the year, which will make for alot of trainer rides for most folks due to weather conditioins.  Also Florida is late in the year, you can have all year to train but you need to make sure you don't get burned out.

I have family in Tomball so I am thinking about doing Tx next year.  At the same time I am thinking about a trip for me and my wife to NAPA Valley w/o the kids, which means Vineman may be in the near future.

2012-02-14 9:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Where do you live?

Which fits best for training into your life?

Living in MA, for me IMTX would be a chore with to much time riding the trainer, plus hard to adapt for weather given 20-40 degree temp difference between home and race.

Training time for me is key to figure out what races fit into my life best.

Lots of IMs between TX and FL.

2012-02-14 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'm doing Augusta this year too.  I'm also planning on doing IMFL in 2013. 14 months is a long time; however, I will use every bit of it.  How long is your drive?  For me, it's only 3 hours.  So, I will have oppurtunities to take a quick trip and train on the course.

The weather\temp was perfect in PCB this past November.

2012-02-14 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
MA

14 months from first half to IMFL, is a long time not to race.  You could easily do another HIM or 2 between your first and IMFL if that is your choice.

2012-02-14 1:07 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
Thanks for all of the feedback. I know this sounds bad, but I really don't want all of my family there....because I do not want to disappoint them and look like an idiot if I bonk hard. I guess it's sort of selfish.Absolutely on the winter training....I am in south Carolina and can't ride outside right now and although I can handle long trainer rides, I don't think I would feel prepared. I think I am going to add another HIM in the mix and wait for Florida 2013....and try to get in on that one. Of the two (tx and fl) are there others that are low altitude / flat? Nothing else was sticking out as an IM to contemplate.

Edited by NeverEnough 2012-02-14 1:10 PM
2012-02-14 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4047113

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

NeverEnough - 2012-02-14 11:07 AM Thanks for all of the feedback. I know this sounds bad, but I really don't want all of my family there....because I do not want to disappoint them and look like an idiot if I bonk hard. I guess it's sort of selfish.Absolutely on the winter training....I am in south Carolina and can't ride outside right now and although I can handle long trainer rides, I don't think I would feel prepared. I think I am going to add another HIM in the mix and wait for Florida 2013....and try to get in on that one. Of the two (tx and fl) are there others that are low altitude / flat? Nothing else was sticking out as an IM to contemplate.

IM Arizona is flat.  Its essentially same time of the year as Florida.  Only a few weeks apart.  You could also look at non IM branded races as well.

2012-02-14 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4047113

+1 on IMAZ and non non IM Branded events unless you are wanting to get a tatoo of the logo.
2012-02-16 9:44 PM

User image

Tyler, Tx
I finished IMTX last year, and volunteered for IMFL in November.  My training buddy volunteered for IMTX and finished IMFL.  We both thought IMTX was the better race other than the heat!  I swore I wouldn't ever run a marathon in Houston in May EVER again!  The three lap IMTX run was great!!  Normally I would say it was boring, but given where the run is it's the perfect run course (other than 92 degrees and 80 percent humidity)  The finish was worth it!
2012-02-17 8:04 AM

User image

Greenville, SC
Thanks...it is the heat and humidity I am worried about.  IMTX prob not a good choice for me then!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM Advice: Houston vs Florida Rss Feed