General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Give It A Tri... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-15 7:45 AM

Subject: Give It A Tri...
Started training for my first tri recently. My brother-in-law is really into the sport and I got tired of just watching. I played collegiate hockey and lacrosse but unfortunately those experiences won't help me with this endeavor. Just read Triathloning for ordinary mortals, total immersion, and the Idiot's guide to running. All pretty good reads. Looking forward to my first sprint distance tri this summer on Lake Ontario, and maybe a second in the Finger Lakes in September. Still resemble a barge in the water, but my cycling is pretty good and running.....just one foot in front of the other.
Any advice or pitfalls to avoid?

2003-11-15 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1761

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
Subject: RE: Give It A Tri...
HI,
Sounds like you are from my neck in the woods. I live in Rochester and it sound's like you are talking about The fingerlakes tri in canandagua and I am not sure which one On Lake Ontario. I know they have one in Barker and one in Wilson. I am not sure if they are going to do Hamlin this year or not, It was cancelled this year. I watched the Fingerlakes tri and that is what got me really motivated to finally tri. Since I am a newbie too, I really don't have any advice but just wanted to say Good Luck. Maybe I will see you this summer.
2003-11-16 3:17 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

looks like u have read a lot of great books...can't get any better than that!  they should take u far.  advice?  well for now, get properly fitted for your running shoes and bike.  welcome!

2003-11-16 8:09 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Welcome and my advice? Don't overtrain.

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #1769

Ron,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great content here. The training log is great. As for the shoes and my square (WIDE) feet. I got the asics gel cumulus V's. Awesome fit and light compared to the New Balance I had. Bikes are another point to consider. I've been looking at the Trek 1000. the 1200 is nice and the frame is better but is it really worth 3-400 dollars more. any ideas. Cycling is my strongest event currently, however, I'm leaving the comfort of my mountain bike for the road bike.

Thanks again
Gary aka marauder13
2003-11-19 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1763

Hey to you fellow newbie,

You are correct in your assumption about the Canandaigua Tri, there is also one in Cayuga Lake. I've got some friends with a place on Keuka Lake so I'll use that as a jumping off point for both. The Tri in Wilson (the wet and wild) will be the official first for me. How's your training going so far? Any wrinkles. I use to work in Rochester with Lowes and another private company so I know the area. Good Luck to you also

Gary aka Marauder13

2003-11-19 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
New Port Richey
I did not know about the one on Cayuga Lake but I know they have one on Keuka Lake to. I believe in Penn Yan. I have not made a commitment on which races I am going to do yet but Barker and wilson and possibilities because my wife has family In Newfane. Which is pretty close to both. I am still just building my base back up before I start training specifically but have already noticed a change in my health plus dropped ten pounds, so I am pretty confident I will be healthy enough to go this spring. Good Luck and keep us posted on which bike you get.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Give It A Tri... Rss Feed