Running Zone
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/41
Pre-race routine:

Started yesterday with hydration & stretching and a easy bike ride home. Woke up at ~5:40 but laid in bed for another 20 minutes. Got up made coffee, ate a bannana & small bowl of cereal. Read the paper then got ready and left the house at 6:40.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike to the event, ah a chilly 2 mile ride. Registered, then went for a 1.5 mile WU run. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1795931/4 & 1/2 mile markers were noted, perfect for establishing pace. Last 1/3 mile back I picked up the pace to "pre-load" the HR up to Z5. Good 5 minutes to spare for some light strecthing and work into the mental zone & looked at were I could squeeze into line for the best start. Moved a couple times to avoid kids and "I'm going for 8.5 min miles" runners, please no offense!
Run
  • 21m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out much faster than I wanted too. Had no idea really where I was at fitness wise for a 5k race and it was a fast start, 1/4m mark was 1:35! Settled down as the field was spreading out and saw Trish, a racer that is also doing the Miami Man HIM and a friend of my business partner family. She beat me in the last 5k race I did in Nov by +1 min, so here was my race rabbit to follow. 1/2m mark was 3:23 and I felt great! 1 Mile was at 7:00, "cool! still feeling great". At the turn around a boy about 10 or so was struggling to stay with with, I told him to settle down and relax, slow down if he needs to and regain himself so he can finish strong. He looked at me and said "ok" and then backed it off. I watched him come in with a 23:45 race, amazing what some kids are doing these days.
At 2 miles I was at 14:10, "wow! still feeling great" I pulled up to Trish, the rabbit, and said something about "pretend its Mile 12 on the Miami Man". She looked over and laughed and we had some small talk. I then decided to pick up the pace, you know since I was feeling so great, and left my 'rabbit' behind. I don't know where it began but I know from this point on, no one past me. At 2.5 miles written on the road was "2.5 miles PICK IT UP!" and I got a rush. I was still feeling great, HRM said I was at 177 and I was picking off racers. Focused on my strides, keeping them short but fast and stayed relaxed while my breathing really started to pick up. It blurs until about 2.9 miles. You turn toward the finish and can see the finish line clock ticking away and saw it was at 20:12 and counting. I couldn't beleive I had a chance to hit a PR. I tried hard to relax and run with a fastest stride rate without actually sprinting. I crossed the finish line not believing what just transpired, 21:45. All I remember was counting down the last 30 seconds knowing I'm going to PR, I think I pasted a couple of runners. In the chute they collected the tags and I was thinking and saying out loud at the same time saying "Awesome!", "Unbeleivable!", "Wow!", "Yeah!". I was on a rush like I've never had before. I have never finished a run race feeling like I was, simply amazing!
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked/jogged for 1/4 mile the walked to pravilion. Snacked on some oranges & tiny muffins and had some water. After about 30 minutes I got on the bike and did a hard ride into work...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More time training, that's all...

Event comments:

Race was perfect because the weather was perfect. Cold front on Friday brought cool crisp morning today, perfect for running hard.

Need to have "Excellent" as am Overall Run option pick, and for Massage, "You bet my spouse is giving me a massage tonight!"

So when do I crash off this high!

Last updated: 2006-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:45 | 03.11 miles | 06m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/41
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR was in Z3 to 5a for a total of 9:56. Only took about 15 sec to get up to Z3. 1/4m was 1:35 1/2m was 3:23 1 Mile was 7:00 2 miles was 14:10 3 miles...was just looking at the finish line!
Course: Down and back format with several turns
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-13 9:19 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: Run for the Gecko 5k

2006-05-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: #422800

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-15 10:48 AM
in reply to: #423879

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: Run for the Gecko 5k

13 seconds. My previous PR was 21:58 in Feb 2004 and I was doing a lot of running then, just nothing over 4.25 miles or anything slower than 8:30.  I thought I had to train hard all the time back then!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for the Gecko 5k Rss Feed