General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Tour 4 weeks prior to Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-29 10:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Bike Tour 4 weeks prior to Ironman
While I know it's not ideal, I'm looking for others thoughts on doing a bike tour in the final build up to Ironman.

The tour is a seven day event, 60-100 miles per day. I anticipate being able to ride at any pace I want, either pushing the race or recovering as I see fit. It is a small, low key affair, not worried about an testosterone fueled paceline on a daily basis.

I won't be able to do any real swimming during the week, but I should be able to run before or after biking as I feel up to it.

The tour will end three weeks prior to IMMT, so it occurs on the last build week before my scheduled taper.

IMMT is my second IM, and definitely my "A" race for 2012. No serious race goals, but I would like to put together a solid race, which for me means being able to run the marathon.

Thoughts?

2012-03-01 7:12 AM
in reply to: #4072703

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: RE: Bike Tour 4 weeks prior to Ironman
I don't know. It sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Lots of time in the saddle. You can run some after the rides. You won't lose much swim fitness in a week off. If you want to do it, why not?
2012-03-01 9:56 AM

I did a weeklong bike trip with Backroads about 2 months prior to IMF one year and it was great training! 

--lots of good bike miles at a good time before your race; having the race ahead of you will encourage you to ride the longer options (if the trip is set up where there are various options each day.

--a break from the usual routine and scenery, so you'll feel fresher, at a time (you know this if this is your second IM) when you are just ready for the training to be done!

--try to see if you can fit in a couple of short runs during the trip...off the bike, if possible.

--if there is a swim opportunity, great.  If not, make sure your swim is solid before you go. Plus, you can swim more when you get back as the swim doesn't require as much taper.

Have fun!

2012-03-03 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

I say go for it, and it sounds like a fun distraction to all the training, especially right before your Taper. It would be a good mental break. 

2012-03-13 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Um, you have opportunity to ride ~500 miles 3-4 weeks out from Ironman??? That's perfect- maybe make a couple of those rides harder paced, but all those miles will be great for your bike fitness.  And it's another opportunity to fine-tune your race day nutrition, which is always good. Try to do short runs sometime after you're done most of those days and you'll be fine with your run training during that break.  Do it and enjoy the adventure!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Tour 4 weeks prior to Ironman Rss Feed