The Woodlands Marathon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 50m 56s
Overall Rank = 179/589
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/112
Pre-race routine:

After a rather restless and anxious sleep I awoke at around 5:15am in the morning, took a shower, had a cup of coffee, orange juice, bagel and a banana. After my usual long run breakfast I grabbed my gear and headed out to door. Once I stepped outside I noticed the temp was around 61 degrees, and there was a slight wind with some gusts.
Run
  • 3h 50m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan for this marathon, which was my first although I have done a couple half-marathons, was to run an ambitious 03:30. I'd trained for a 03:30 and had been accomplishing my training training goals. I made way to the proper pace runners. When the started, I tried to hold back but like a rookie I was caught up in the moment. Even though I know better, I jumped in front of my pace - and this lasted for about 21 or 22 miles when the 3:30 pace runners finally passed me. I tried to stay with them but couldn't. The last few miles were a battle and I only had myself to blame. Still had a great time though.
What would you do differently?:

Next time, I will reserve my strength and hold back. Even as a newbie triathlete with only a couple races under my belt I know that conserving energy is a must. Next time I will show a little discipline and maintain the pace I trained for.
Post race
Event comments:

In my opinion, I thought the race was good. The water stations were spread out about every 1.5 miles with power gel stations strategically placed throughout as well. These gel stations were located about 1/4 to 1/2 half mile before water stations which gave you the chance to wash your gel down with water/Gatorade.

The crowds were great. They were very enthusiastic. I even saw a sign from some triathlon team/group that read: "Wanna Tri a Threesome?" It was pretty funny, at least to me.

A couple down sides were the food. They only had some type of rice/meat/veggie mix. There was no bananas or pizza or anything else. Also, when I went to get my shirt they only had large and extra large shirts remaining. When I signed up for the race they asked specifically what size I need - medium.

But to make up for the shirt issue, and limited food issue, they had free beer.

Last updated: 2012-02-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:50:56 | 26.2 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/112
Overall: 179/589
Performance: Good
At the half-way mark, 13.1 miles, my time was 01:41. My pace was just under 07:45. I was feeling great and my average HR BPM was about 161.
Course: The Woodlands Marathon was a two loop course. http://www.thewoodlandsmarathon.com/index.php/marathon/course-info/
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-05 11:59 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Subject: The Woodlands Marathon
The race was fun.

Edited by JAngell 2012-03-05 12:04 PM

2012-03-06 6:19 PM
in reply to: #4080946

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
Subject: RE: The Woodlands Marathon
Congrats on your first marathon! Sounds like that last 10k was brutal - way to hang on and get 'er done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Woodlands Marathon Rss Feed