Tipperary Hill Neighborhood Association
28F / -2C
Overcast
Total Time = 33m 49s
Overall Rank = 756/3164
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 52/160
Pre-race routine:

woke up, ate applesauce, cup of coffee and a bowl of oatmeal with water and brown sugar. bathroom then another cup of coffee. GI working with me today and was able to go twice before leaving the house. Put BioFreeze on my hip, grabbed a gel and a bottle of PERFORM that I mixed myself. 2 scoops. Got in car to meet Jamie.

I didn't want to overdress but also didn't want to be cold. Luckily I knew I could leave clothes in the ice rink. Didn't want my chest to feel tight so I just wore a short sleeved underarmour shirt and my sugoi arm sleeves to keep them warm. My underarmour briefs and pants along with 2 pairs of socks... one pair of cycling socks to help ventilate and my regular UA socks... perfect. I chose to wear my light golves because I knew I would overheat in the more insulated ones. Was weary about my hat for the same reason but I knew I could take that off if that was the case.
Event warmup:

I started to job lightly for my warmup.. about 10 minutes and was happy that I felt could, especially with my hip being out of sorts for the week. Massage helped that.
Then I did my 3x1 at race pace. felt good at 8:15's and easy for my rest in between. Walked it out and went to the corrals. Looking for my fellow 8's.
Run
  • 33m 49s
  • 4.08 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I set out to focus on good form, especially since my hip has been bothering me. Also focused on my breathing and divided it into half mile distances from a mental persepctive. The conditions on the road were ideal, a little breezy in some parts. Felt my form was good and felt 'light' on my feet. Also, knowing that I was passing more people than people passing me was good for my confidence. I have come a long way in my running which has made me confident regardless but I cannot recall me looking at anyone and saying,"They shouldn't be passing me."
I did start to overheat... arms, hands, head but I was at the final turn towards the finish and didn't want to start stripping off clothes then... focused on running, not overheating. Pushed through and was able topush my pace up the final 1-2 minutes like I wanted to and finish strong. Nothing left in the tank... I hit the hills as expected, both down and up and finished with that..'get out of my way I am going to puke' feeling.
What would you do differently?:

I am really confident in being able to start towards the front. Which I will do in the future on runs like this.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and met up with the team. got water on my way to the rink and then a banana, chocolate milk and a slat bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing.. I got over the coral situation quickly and don't think my time would have changed too much in the beginning.. but out of curiosity I will be starting up front from now on and not let it bother me that people are passing me.

Last updated: 2012-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:49 | 04.08 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 52/160
Overall: 756/3164
Performance: Good
My heart at times felt as if it was going to pound out of my chest but only during the hills...I did see it touch 174 a couple of times but I didn't feel as if it was in trouble. Dizzy for a few seconds coming back up Coleridge but stayed focused... took my foot off the gas a little knowing I was almost done and could put the hammer down in the final half mile.
Course: Liked the course... fast course and very pleased except for the corals and the people in them. I am not sure if it's ignorance or stupidity but I will start towards the front from now on. The first few minutes was tough to get pace going and found myself behind walkers and trotters. took me to minute 4 to get in my race pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes