General Discussion Race Reports! » Havasu Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Havasu Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
United States
Tuscon Racing Inc.
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 50s
Overall Rank = 39/114
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the motel, washed up, drank a coconut water and then headed over to transition to set up.
Event warmup:

Couldn't find anything to eat! Friend gave me a single serving of Wheaties Fuel and... Off we go.
Swim
  • 32m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold! I was definitely glad I swam the day before with a group of buddies. This was my first time in the OW since AMICA back in... October? The start was a bit rough. 5 seconds into the swim, someone swiped my left goggle halfway off my face. Pause. Recover. The rest of the swim was pretty good. Sighting was surprisingly great. I went straight to each bouy. There were a couple of times where I drafted and passed the earlier collegiate starting collegiate athletes. Rhythm got set almost right away. Barely paused in the water, and if I did, it was for half a second with forward momentum still carrying me forward.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have pushed the pace a bit harder. I didn't feel gassed coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Wetsuit slid right off. And then I went into problem solving mode. I saw the huge expanse of rocky road I had to cover before the bike mount and decided to snap my mounted shoes off the bike. Literally just stood there. Pretty stupid to not think ahead. And next time, I should put wayyyyy more tape on my nutrition if I decide to attach it to the top tube. The first pedal stroke almost swung my two gels off the bike. Would've bonked the race!

Think ahead.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.09 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of the gate, I think I took the bike a little too softly. I had decided to conserve my energy on the way out (tailwind) to have strength for the ride back (HEADWIND and crosswind gusts). The crosswinds played havoc on my front wheel on turns so that took that great advantage I have (comparatively) out of the race. I did take aerobars on all the downhills though. Passed a lot of people doing that. I counted about 4-5 people that passed me. The rest of the time it was passing :)

About 50 minutes of the ride was comfortable and a pretty good race pace. Then the headwinds combined with the terrible fitting just made life a living crapstorm. My back was aching so badly, I HAD to stand up about 10-15 times the remainder of the bike portion. I just can't seem to find the right position on my roadbike to make it a tribike.

Nutrition for the first time worked perfectly! 1/3 Gatorade 2/3 water bottle was finished by the end of the bike. Gel eaten about 3 minutes in and 10 minutes from the end.

Just ride the new bike when it gets here and take advantage of the FIST fitting. I have a feeling this is going to make a HUGE difference. EXCITED!
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

I had the coolest dismount off the bike. Rear wheel locked up and I skidded to the spectators at the dismount line haha. Kept the shoes on and ran to the bike racks. Everything was decent. I did have to ask for directions from a spectator on where the run exit was though... Embarrassing!

Again, think ahead.
Run
  • 54m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Still my achilles heel of triathlon~ Just took the pace easy. I took the advice of some people saying that the cramps on the run might be from going too hard. I think I just went 8:30-9:30 pace the entire way. And even though a lot of people passed me, I just focused on my own race and kept chugging along. No ab cramps! Yeah! My left quad did get extremely tight crossing the bridge on both the way out and back though (I think the curvature + hardness had something to do with it).

Used water cups from the aid stations very liberally to keep myself cool. Each time I poured water, it was a great energy boost. Teammates everywhere on the out and back course kept me happy and focused.

The last 3-4 people that had passed me a 1/4 mile from the end became targets, and I kicked it into high gear for a crowd cheering sprint. Last 100m or so, I just hammered it in and passed all of them. Felt good to be able to do that again and not be crippled by cramps at the end of the race.

Just keep running. Current average of 6-9mpw isn't going to get me anywhere.
Post race
Warm down:

Coconut water, oranges, talk, cheer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just workout everything more. I've been slacking an awful lot lately. If I can motivate myself back to September-December mental strength, I'm going to be making another big jump soon.

Last updated: 2012-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/114
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:14:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.09 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:54:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 46s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-03-19 1:34 AM

Subject: Havasu Triathlon - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Havasu Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed