General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newtons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-25 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Subject: Newtons

Has anyone made the switch to Newtons?  What did you think?  I am currently in Brooks Adrenaline and considering a second shoe to alternate.  I am looking at either the Sir Isaac or the Distance S.

2012-03-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4112533

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: Newtons
Good shoes, a bit thick for me but if you're not coming from a more minimalist shoe background that may not be an issue.

They (nor any other shoe) are not a magic pill. You can run with a midfoot gait in most other shoes. I'm not sure if I by into their lug technology. I like their company and how they are still fairly small and very interactive with the running community.
2012-03-26 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4113350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL

I already use a midfoot/forefoot strike.  They seem high priced to me.  I became interested when I saw a video where a guy said his pace really quickened.  (said from 930 to 845 or something like that).  I assumed that was the lugs - I don't know.

I'll probably hold off and maybe buy another pair of brooks.  They seem to work well for me.

Thank you for your input

2012-03-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4113504

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Stick with what works, experiment here and there. Newton has a 30 day no questions ask return policy.
2012-03-26 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
I love my Newtons. I tried several different brands of the "less is more" shoes with mixed results. Then tried Newton and love them. What I like most is the way my feet and legs feel the day after a hard workout. I have very little to no soreness/stiffness in my legs and feet with the Newtons.  With the others I often had pretty sore feet and legs after my long runs or hard effort runs. Price wise, you can expect to get at least 500 miles out of a pair of Newtons, with some people getting much more than that out of theirs. So they are cost effective.

Edited by rbishop01 2012-03-26 1:47 PM
2012-03-27 11:22 AM

User image

Regular
Birmingham, AL
I switched to the Distance S a while back and love them.  They may have helped my pace a bit, but the bigger improvement was reducing my injuries.  I was having a lot of IT band issues and shin splints as a heel striker.  Converting to a mid-foot fixed most of these.  If you're already a mid-foot striker, you may not see that much improvement, but I can definitely say I'm happy.

2012-03-27 1:39 PM

New user

I bought a pair of Sir Isaacs and love them. I used to not be able to run over a mile without a lot of foot pain do to an extreme over pronation. My pediatrist even was trying to schedule my corrective surgery (putting me out of commission for over 6 months so not an option). I got the shoes and the combination of the support and the switch to forefoot striking has made running bearable. I was able to run 2.5 miles a day for a solid week pain free after the short adjustment period to the different style. IMHO they are a great concept that has made the run portion of tri now appear possible to finish for me.Im just glad I took the chance on them lol.
2012-03-29 1:05 AM

Well made, but I ended up shelving them. I was already a mid foot striker. I can and sometimes do run for an hour in VFFs witout any issues. The Newtons felt like running with a hockey puck under the forefoot. Calves got pumped to the point of aching from pushing up and over the lugs. I rarely have injuries, not interested in changing my mechanics to make an oddball shoe design work. But I don't doubt they are great for those suited to them.
2012-03-30 4:33 PM

User image

Regular
Las Cruces, New Mexico

I am about to take the plunge myself. I have been running in Mizunos Rider and Creation the last four years as a heel striker and i have been pretty happy with them until last year when PF make me change to midfoot strike.

I don't think the mizunos were designed for midfoot strike since they are quite firm, so I think I am going to give a try to the Newtons and see what happens. I will let you now. 

2012-04-05 4:15 PM

Very happy with them.  Have honestly seen performance gains in my 5K, 10K, and HM times with these shoes.  I started off with the Sir Isaacs, moved to the Gravitas, then the Distancia S, before finally settling on the MOTUS.  Excellent shoes, however, I would suggest starting in shorter distances with them till you build the muscle memory associated with running in them... and go from there.

Edited by ridersinc 2012-04-05 4:15 PM
2012-04-08 12:39 PM

User image

Xenia

I am a Newton running coach and suggest to many people to try to find one of their seminars.  I am having one here in Dayton at the end of the month but they take place all over the country.  They bring in the top coaches, 100's of pairs of shoes, and provide hours of instruction on natural running.  

That being said, I instruct people to use Newtons to get a "feel" for mid-foot running.  That is what the lugs on the bottom do...they help you focus on your form to keep from heel striking.  Once you master the form, and for some this takes a while, you can move to other brands of shoes that are built with the low-drop design.  Myself, I run in Saucony Kinvara's.  Occasionally, I'll put my Newton's on when I feel the need to work on my form again.  Like this morn I went out and ran 5-miles just trying to maintain a 180 cadence.

They are great training shoes and some runners like them as all-purpose running/racing.

David

2012-04-08 12:39 PM

User image

Xenia

I am a Newton running coach and suggest to many people to try to find one of their seminars.  I am having one here in Dayton at the end of the month but they take place all over the country.  They bring in the top coaches, 100's of pairs of shoes, and provide hours of instruction on natural running.  

That being said, I instruct people to use Newtons to get a "feel" for mid-foot running.  That is what the lugs on the bottom do...they help you focus on your form to keep from heel striking.  Once you master the form, and for some this takes a while, you can move to other brands of shoes that are built with the low-drop design.  Myself, I run in Saucony Kinvara's.  Occasionally, I'll put my Newton's on when I feel the need to work on my form again.  Like this morn I went out and ran 5-miles just trying to maintain a 180 cadence.

They are great training shoes and some runners like them as all-purpose running/racing.

David

2012-04-10 9:24 PM

New user
DC Metro
I am newer to endurance sports.  Always a 3-5 mile at a time jogger to keep in shape, but found that whenever I really got in shape my knees would start hurting.  My usual gait was heavy heal striker and over pronator.  I am 6'3 and 200#, so put a lot of pressure on my joints.  I switched to Newton's 2 years ago.  My calves KILLED me for several weeks and still were sore for several months, but my knees didn't hurt.  I have now been able to increase my miles without pain in my knees and been able to do HM and plan my first HIM this summer.  I could never have done that 3 years ago.  Probably can't put all that improvement on the shoes, and probably just working on improving my gait would have done the same, but for me it forced me to change my stride.  I'm a huge fan for sure - but like anything they are probably not for everyone. 
2012-04-11 7:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Just got my newtons after my saucony kinvaras wore out and i love them, def a world of difference compared to my saucony's.
2012-04-11 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4142733

User image

Master
Nashville, TN
yes i got 2 pairs and love them, used to use kinevara saucony
2012-04-11 9:29 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I switched to Newtons before last season and can honestly say that they are the only shoe I've ever tried that felt perfectly natural to me. Just fits my running mechanics perfectly.

I would recommend that you follow their advise though... start off slow and short and slowly build back to "normal". There's people that have injured themselves because of changing too fast (usually combination of ignoring the advise and forcing a change in running mechanics)(

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newtons Rss Feed