General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike confusion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-29 9:06 PM

Subject: Bike confusion

OK after going through my first sprints last year on a 20 yo Raliegh with shifters on the downbar have decided to move into the modern era of bikes.

1) Debated over road vs tri and feel  getting a better road bike is the most practical (I also live in a pretty hilly area if that matters) for now.  Maybe a  tri bike also in the future (after I win mega millions...ha). Will use it for triathlon with aero bars. at this point goal is my forst OLY this fall. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

2) Carbon vs a good aluminum. I've test both for short 15min rides and can't tell the dif. Given the same componants the big difference is about 1K. Is there really a huge difference and does it justify the $ difference?  Am I just being sucked into the carbon era.

3) COmponants: any opinions on Shimano system vs SRAM. My gut says the shimano are easier for rookies like me.  I have decided that within the groups probobly would go with 105 (or SRAM equivalent). DOn't think the step up to Ultegra is worth the extra $7-900. Any opinions?

4) OK this bike fitting stuff keeps confusing me as I walk into  shops.  9/10 (and I've probobly walked into 10 shops) have basically said " Take a few bikes out  (they basically ask my height and inseam to give me a bike to test)for a spin and see how you feel, pick a price you're willing to spend, type of bike for your use (eg aero frame for someone who is interested in triathlon but doesn't want a tri bike) and we can we can "fit" you to the bike you  want with necessary adjustments.  One shop said you can do that but we suggest a fitting  (for $150) and from what  we learn and you're price point we can choose a bike form what we have or can order or can order (fitting is then free if you purchase from use).  What if i do the fit and don't like  any of their bikes. I guess I eat the cost of the fitting and consider it  a small investment in the entire process. What do people think?

2012-03-29 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4119995

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Bike confusion

what do you want the bike for?  do you want it for riding or for doing tri's?  (answer to #1).

i rode a ton of bikes in my buying process and chose the one that felt the best for me, and it wasn't the one with the nicest components.  i told them my price range and they lined up a bunch for me to try out.

i'm confused on the $150 fitting... does that go towards the bike you end up getting from them or is that just for their sales work in selling you a bike?  Like they would be doing anyway if you were the only one in the store?  

2012-03-29 9:45 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yup. Most important is to figure out what kind of riding you'll be doing.  You have the advantage of already having a year's worth of riding under your belt.  What kind of riding did you do?  Mostly solo? Group rides? Hills? Technical? 

I bought a road bike because I thought I wanted a more versatile ride.  Turns out I did a lot more solo rides and don't really find group rides all that attractive.  I know I want to do more and longer tris in the future. Basically, I should've bought a tri bike.  But that's for the type of rider I am and the type of riding I want to do.

That being said, if you do go the road bike route I will highly recommend the CAAD10 (which is what I have).  Mine came with the 105 group and a compact FSA crank.  I love this thing as a road bike.  Aluminum frame but it will give some of the lower end carbon frames a run for their money.

2012-03-30 12:02 AM

User image

Rock Springs, Wyoming

If you get a Felt DA top of the line youll pay $8000-10000 but youll look cool like everyone else. And maybe you can finish in the top 20%.

If you get a Felt B12 you'll spend about $3000 and also look kool and also maybe finish in the top 20%. But drop maybe 3 places had you rode the FELT DA.

If you buy a lower end model and spend around $1200-1600 you also look cool (but not as cool as with the top of the line bike). You'll also finish close to where you would have using the other higher end bikes (but also lose another couple spots).

So... if you had a choice and could finish 50th with the DA, or 53rd with a B12, or 55th with a low end what would you do?

2012-03-30 12:46 AM
in reply to: #4120124

User image

New user
Austin
MDVJR - 2012-03-30 12:02 AM

If you get a Felt DA top of the line youll pay $8000-10000 but youll look cool like everyone else. And maybe you can finish in the top 20%.

If you get a Felt B12 you'll spend about $3000 and also look kool and also maybe finish in the top 20%. But drop maybe 3 places had you rode the FELT DA.

If you buy a lower end model and spend around $1200-1600 you also look cool (but not as cool as with the top of the line bike). You'll also finish close to where you would have using the other higher end bikes (but also lose another couple spots).

So... if you had a choice and could finish 50th with the DA, or 53rd with a B12, or 55th with a low end what would you do?

I have to disagree with the above.  Your bike fitness is way more important than the actual bike.  You could have the fastest bike on the planet but if you're out of shape or haven't trained or just slow you'll still end up BOP.  I did my first full season of tri on a 70's Peugeot, didn't stop me blowing past plenty of people slick aero rides.  That being said.....a tricked out top of the line latest greatest speed machine will sure help.

x2 for deciding on what type of riding you want/plan on doing first, then a budget.  You also should get a "fitting" included where ever you buy from IMHO as well as 100 mile checkup, a tuneup for the first year or two or more depending on the shop. 

Unless your bike is just falling apart, take your time and find what you like.

2012-03-30 1:16 AM

User image

New user

1) road vs tri: If you're into group riding and/or not completely sure yet whether you'll still enjoy tris a couple of seasons down the road, go for the road bike imho. I'm in my 4th season with several oly's and a HIM under my belt and have only just pulled to trigger on a tri bike.

2) Alu vs carbon: As far as I can tell, the main difference between alu and carbon is weight and comfort. Alu is slightly heavier (say 2 lbs for the frame) and somewhat less comfortable on more bumpy roads. Another thing to consider is that most R&D goes into carbon frames at the moment. This will trickle down to the cheaper alu frames as well, but that takes a while. Still, there's plenty of great alu frames out there with excellent value for money.

3) SRAM vs Shimano: both provide excellent components and I wouldn't say one is easier. How do you define easy anyway? Easier to shift? Easier to adjust? Both work equally well for me. SRAM tends to be somewhat lighter (maybe 3-4 ounces for the whole group), but has a more noticable click (soundwise). I personally don't notice the weight differential when on a bike and you'll get used to the click. $700 - 900 for an ultegra to 105 upgrade is a lot though. Are you sure that's the only difference? 

4) Fitting: I'm tall (6'5) and most LBS I walked into will just put me on the biggest bike they have and say it's a perfect fit, or else they'll make sure it fits. Somehow, this sounded a bit too easy for me, given the investment involved. So, I decided to do a professional tri fit a couple of weeks ago and it turned out there's actually quite a few models that would not fit me at all, or where I'd have to go to the L size instead of the XL one (the new Shiv for example). The bike another reputed store had recommended for me (and which they happened to have in stock) actually would not have fitted at all... So, I would be strongly in favor of the fitting approach! At the end of the day, $150 is quite a bit of money, but only a fraction of your total bike budget. And if I read it correctly, you'll get it reimbursed if you decide to order through them. 

Good luck choosing!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike confusion Rss Feed