General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waxhaw, North Carolina
United States
Setup inc.
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 32s
Overall Rank = 22/252
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/27
Pre-race routine:

Stayed the night before in Monroe ... reconned the site that night.
Event warmup:

Running as usual ... arrived in plenty time to set up my gear. Nervous today about the open water swim. This is only my second open water!!
Swim
  • 14m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was freaked out!! I have to overcome this!! I have to get used to people beating and banging during the start. 12 and half minute training times are ok ... 15 minute race times are unacceptable!! I could never get my heart rate to relax. I felt like I was cheating death!
What would you do differently?:

Practice more in the open water definetly. My navigation is terrible to match my overall mental stability! I like to be in control of my emotions and my situational awareness and I did not have that today.
Transition 1
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

No wetsuit today. This saved so much time. After the exit from the water, we had an 1/8 mile run uphill to T1. It was certainly a different T1 as far as the set up goes!! I was the sixth fastest in the T1 so I was happy with that.

Nothing! I was pleased.
Bike
  • 48m 1s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok bike for me. I always want to go faster but I realize that I can't get strong in day. My bike is heavy and I could not place my right arm in the pad (aero-bar) because of last Tuesday's crash. I am still rashed up pretty good on the knee and the elbow and they are still painful to the touch. Also, my computer went to crap as soon as I started so I had no idea how fast I was going. I was pleased with the amount of people I passed.

Get a new bike! Lighter would be very beneficial to me but I am content with the Giant for now. I don't deserve a new bike until I get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

I was pleased with the T2 time. I was 29th overall and 4th in my age group.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I am getting stronger in the run and it is showing!! I just have to pay attention and keep working.

Pay attention to the course and the guy in front of me!!
Post race
Warm down:

Thank Goodness it's over!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike crash on the previous Tuesday. I hadn't swam in over a week and only rode sparingly and only ran a 1/2 mile.

Event comments:

This was the first time for this race so it was a good race but there are some things that they could work on but the bottom line is that I am the one who must continue to work hard and get better. I control my on destiny on how far I can go.

Last updated: 2006-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:53 | 750 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 13/27
Overall: 78/252
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Good ... turns to the right
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:01 | 16.5 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/27
Overall: 20/252
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: A little more climby than I had anticipated but overall it was a hammer-fest for me in an effort to make up for the swim.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/27
Overall: 25/252
Performance: Average
Course: Muddy and too many out and backs ... this led to confusion among the runners on where to go. I followed a guy and he went the wrong way. That cost me 20 seconds at least. My morning runs and training gains were negated because of the confusion on the course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 8:22 PM

User image

New user

Valdese NC
Subject: Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek

2006-05-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #429686

New user
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek
Hey David! Great job on yesterday's race! I raced there too and will be posting my race report later today.

I agree there was not enough volunteers and not enough drinks. But, it was nice and overcast for the bike. Excellent bike time!!! Wow! You really plowed through those hills, didn't you?!

Great race! WOO-HOO!
2006-05-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: #430141

User image

New user

Valdese NC
Subject: RE: Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek
Living in Lenoir really helps on the bike. It is a wonderful place to train and I have a group that pushes me to get better. I have been cycling and doing the tri thing now for a year and half but I have to get better!! I just can't get there fast enough!! Congrats on your race. I had just sent a message and now see that you sent me one! Neat!!

David
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek Rss Feed