View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St George, Utah
United States
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, 5:30. Had to drop off the dog at moms campsite and then get to the race course. Was awfully chilly out when we got up. Had a breakfast of instant oatmeal on the way to the race.

Went and got our 2 transitions set up, then went back and had a stinger waffle and some gatorade. Filled up bottles, headed back, and finished up setting up transition. Didn't want to walk in to get in line because that meant I'd have to change out of my shorts and sweater and then run into the building. It was FREEEEEEEEZING! Holy hell was it cold. Got in, got in line, chatted with people, and before you know it - it's time to jump in the water.
Swim
  • 09m 42s
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Felt great in the swim. I got stuck in the "hot" pool, which was just fine by me. Didn't blow myself up trying to sprint or anything. 400 yard pool swims are just fine by me - much easier than half mile lake swims!
What would you do differently?:

Nada.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Again - extremely cold. Took the time to dry off completely, put on my garmin, etc. Very slow transition, but I managed to get a little warmer.

Start later so it's not so dang cold
Bike
  • 35m 21s
  • 10 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

This course seemed pretty damn hard. It felt like it was uphill 90% of the time. Couldn't get comfortable at any cadence... seemed like every time I got into a groove for longer than 30 seconds, I had to shift gears again. I swear, I shifted more on this 10 mile 2-lap loop than I did in the entire 50 miles of the zion ride. Not to mention, because I had just my jammer on, I was FREEZING. Seriously, my junk had to have literally frozen. It was the most uncomfortable I've ever been on the bike. I managed to pass several people however, and rode back and forth next to someone else for the whole race. I also managed to catch up to rach at the very end... she pulled into transition just ahead of me. All in all, a very rough time on the bike.

Start later so it's warm enough to actually enjoy biking. Ride lots of slight uphills, because it seemed like every part of that course was slightly uphill.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Felt like I was going to vomit coming off the bike into T2. Took my time, rach and I actually got to transition next to each other, which was pretty cool. It was starting to warm up, so I took off my hoodie. Didn't lace my shoes up very well, which became apparent when I had to re-tie them at mile 1.
Run
  • 28m 50s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was, surprisingly, great! Starting out was rough - maybe 1/4 of a mile in, my right calf starting cramping up badly. I had to slow down to a walk and rub my calf, and then I had to take it slow for the first little while to work out the kinks. Felt good after about a mile, and started to pick up the pace a bit. Did my first mile in just under 10 minutes, and my last mile at 8:38. Passed several people on the run, which was great since I didn't pass anyone on the run at the brawl. It was awesome to be on a course where you got to see a ton of people out there. Got to see rachael 3 times on the run which was cool. All in all, I felt awesome on the run - definitely a nice way to end the race. Sprinted to the finish where mom was waiting.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some oranges, drank some gatorade, got rachaels inhaler for her. Hung out and cheered mom on for her race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cold

Last updated: 2012-04-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:42 | 400 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: