General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waxhaw, North Carolina
United States
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = 199/240
Age Group = 16-19
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Well, I awoke to my mother waking me up. I got up and ate a bagel with PB and honey on it and began drinking LOTS of water. Then we started our hour drive to the course. On the way i finished my bagel and kept drinking water. Then I began to listen to my mp3 player to get "into my zone." I recommend listening to ur favorite music because it will get your mind on the music and not the grueling race ahead. So we drove and i had to help remind my mother of what route to take.
Once we got there we removed our bikes and got all of our supplies out of the car. Then we went and got body marked and get our time chips. Then we took one of our many bathroom breaks.. by this time i had had two glasses of water and a bottle and a half of water... I had to go pee. Then we set-up our transition area. Then walked around some more. Then scoped out the swim course. Then went to the bathroom again. Then we (my mother and I) got in to our wet suits and walked the near 1/4 mile to the pre-race meeting. That was fun for me because my wet suit was chaffing me on the back of my knees and... else where (guys, you know where). Then we had the meeting, the speaker was cool and he had some jokes. Then it was the first heats time to get into the water...

Event warmup:

Nothing really. I just listend to my mp3 player and got my mind into my competative and endurance mode.
Swim
  • 17m 45s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I needed to get into an open water situation before hand and get some experienc in there. The pool is one thing, but swimming in a HUGE lake is another.
What would you do differently?:

Open water swim experience.
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s

Have two water bottle on my bike instead of one.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 55s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 13.58 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

This was the best transition I have ever made. Even in a practice situation.

Nothing.
Run
  • 32m 31s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Muddy course. WE HATE LOOOPS!! STOP IT WITH THE LOOPS!

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of water, course,

Event comments:

Good race overall for being my first Triathlon. Needed water stations on the bike course. Run course needed not to be loops and better marked. I am glad I did it. I am also glad that somone invented ibuprofen and ice packs.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:45 | 750 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTERRA Wet Suit
Course: I got into the water... Man it was freking cold! Even with the suit! Then we got the countdown of Death. I had a vision in my mind of what I thought SHOULD be... But that didnt turn out well at all. When the horn went off, I started out fine. Then something happend. I dont know what, but my chest started to get cold and cramped. Then the swim turned into a long trip in to hell. I found my style and form cramped and inefficient. At times I had to turn on to my back and just kick my legs to regain my composure. I did that at least 3-4 times. Then about 100 meters from the finish, I just had to push my self to get to the swim stop. Once out of the waster i jogged/ walked to my transition area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:55 | 16.5 miles | 13.58 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Apparently, who ever designed the course obviously had NEVER driven the course before. The description said that it was an "easy" course and smoothe with some rollin hills.BULL. In the first 200 meters of the bike, I went to take a drink of my water. I got a quick sip then went to replace my water bottle. I missed the holder. The water bottle fell and hit the ground and broke. From there until about the SEVEN mile mark, I was without water. And there were NO WATER stations. In the first two miles I had to get off my bike and walk because i felt light headed and had ran off the road twice. After about four minutes of rest I got back on my bike. During the race I took one of my gu's. dry. Blah! But i had to do it. I NEEDED the energy. Also during the race, I asked another biker if I could get a drink of his water. He said sure, then handed me his water bottle and then said that i could keep it. Thanks man, whoever u are! Also it wasnt water. IT WAS GATORADE! Really man, thanx! The rest of the ride was grueling with some nice downhills and slopes. Then I came in to the transition area where my father and brother were waiting.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:31 | 03.11 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: The course was essentially a huge mudfest. I was a little slow. The hills were killer, especially since they were muddy and slick and dark.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 5:58 PM

Subject: Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek

2006-05-23 7:58 AM
in reply to: #430762

New user
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek
Good job Trevor! Your dad and I are so proud of you! Thanks for being my training partner, too. Love, Mom (gailvic)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Endurance Magazine Triathlon at Cane Creek Rss Feed