General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Tucson Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 58s
Overall Rank = 306/326
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 28/30
Pre-race routine:

Umm, routine? :)

What really killed me was waiting at the beach for an hour and a half waiting for my wave to go off. Set up transition at 5:45am and met up with my sister, who was racing the olympic distance. Transition closed at 6:20, first wave of racers went off at 6:35am. My wave didn't go off until 7:50am, so I had a bit of waiting time.
Event warmup:

No real warmup to speak of. I stretched as much as I could corraled into a group on the beach waiting to go.
Swim
  • 11m 58s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Harder than I expected with the water churn. Seemed not to be moving very fast, but finished with a half-way decent time for me.
What would you do differently?:

Train. My training dropped off the face of the earth the last two months due to personal issues and work.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

No wetsuit. Walked into transition (heart rate up high). Rinsed feet with squirt bottle, got bike shoes and helmet on. Grabbed bike and walked it out of transition.

Try to run more in transition. With HR so high, I just couldn't run.
Bike
  • 51m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough ride. Hadn't practices many hills like that, not many hills in my area, it's pretty flat.

Train better for hills, those knocked me out.
Transition 2
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

Took way too long. Walked instead of running with bike, and walked out of transition to the run.

Run more to cut time off, leave shoes clipped on to bike instead of trying to walk bike to rack with bike shoes on.
Run
  • 40m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to walk a good bit of the race. Had a tough time with my HR again. Big hill in the middle kicked my butt.

Again, train more.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Got a nasty cold two days before the race, that never helps...

Event comments:

Packet pickup was a nightmare. Two people checking in, waited in line for about an hour on Saturday. No signs for where to park or where to go.

Last updated: 2006-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:58 | 400 meters | 02m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 27/30
Overall: 0/326
Performance: Average
No HR data, didn't get my watch started up. My heart rate was pretty high, though.
Suit: No
Course: Tread water start. Swim to first bouy about 100m out, turn right. Next buoy about 100m out, turn right again. Next buoy about another 125m, turn right, then about 75m to beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:17 | 12.43 miles | 14.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/30
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Two loops around Tempe Town Lake area. Coming out of transition, big hill, turn right, and long steady grade up Washington St. Good downhill, then pretty flat. Another long steady grade a little later in the course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:40:00 | 03.11 miles | 12m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/30
Performance: Below average
Course: First 1.7 miles on sidewalk, so a little jarring to the knees. Last part of race on the road, so a little better and easier to run. Big hill between 1.1 and 1.7 miles.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 8:24 PM

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Subject: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon
All things considered, I met my goal.  My primary goal, with this being my first tri, was simply to finish.  Secondary, I didn't want to be last in my age group.  Success on both parts.  That, and I wasn't one of the few guys that I saw post race being carried off on stretchers with IV's and oxygen masks.  Had a nasty cold, too, so that limited my breathing and got my HR higher I'm sure.  I just knew my limits based on that cold and the heat (since my wave went off so late it certainly got hotter than I planned being out on the course) and didn't overdo it.  I agree with another race report that it would have been nice to have something other than water out there.  I packed some salt pills and my bottles in my bike had Gatorade, so I was ok, but again, I'm glad I planned for that.

Edited by andymartin826 2006-05-22 8:46 PM

2006-05-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: #430864

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon

Ugh...the long wait time before a race is killer.  I had that happen at the Glendale sprint where I had 3 hrs between bike racking and race start.  That is never any fun.

Personal life and work makes it tough sometimes to get the training in.  But you pulled through the race and stuck it out.  Now, when you get a chance to get back to training, you'll know where to focus.  Good job! 

2006-05-22 9:13 PM
in reply to: #430872

User image

Gilbert, AZ

Thanks for the positive reply, I'm proud of myself for sticking with it and proving to myself that I could do it.  When I started getting sick on Saturday morning, both my wife and my Mom (who flew in with my Dad to watch my sister from CA race with me) were saying it's ok to pull out of the race due to sickness, I was pretty miserable on Saturday.  I wasn't having it, I've anticipated this race for too long to pull out the day before.  I put it behind me and proved to myself that I have what it takes to do this, and I will certainly do it again.  I just have to get some things in order in home and work life to get the time blocked out for regular training and stick with that.

Thanks to the whole BT community for all your support in my early days of deciding to do this.  I know I've been absent for a while on the boards (and in my training) but your notes helped to keep me wanting to do this. 

2006-05-23 11:13 PM
in reply to: #430864

User image

Veteran
Tucson, Arizona

Dude, racing with a cold sucks and doing it in 95 degree weather reeaaaalllllyyyy sucks.

I didn't see any of the ER you describe after the race...I was probably too worried about myself.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tempe International Triathlon - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed