ETUR
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 02m 55s
Overall Rank = 33/81
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at about 4:30, had oatmeal, and out the door by 5:15. Arrived at the park at about 6:20. By the time we picked up our packets, set up camp, and made a final bathroom break it was 6:45.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm up other than a little stretching.
Run
  • 6h 02m 50s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was one of the hardest races that I have ever done. Last year I did the 25K in 2:04 so I figured I could do this race right at 5 hrs. The big difference though was that last year the temperature was 46 at start time and this year it was over 70.

I started out at a fairly easy pace, averaging in the mid 9:30s and taking quick 30 second stops at the aid stations. The first lap went by fairly quickly and before I knew it the turn around was in sight. I felt pretty good at this point so I started my next lap after a 3 min break.

The first 4 miles of the second lap to the next aid station were uneventful although I did take a couple of planned 30 second walk breaks. By the time I got to the aid station I was starting to feel the effects of the heat. The next leg between the two aid stations was a long stretch on the jeep road where I would run for a while and then take a short walk break.

After the 2nd aid station I began the stretch that really did me in. It was a gradual climb alongside a stand of trees that burned in a brush fire so there was very little shade. This was also about the time that it began to get very hot. By the time I got back into the woods, I was really overheating. The rest of the race consisted of running for a short distance (less than 1/2 mile), then walking for a bit. The top of my right foot / lower right leg was hurting pretty bad but especially whenever I started running or starting walking. Also, I got to the point where it didn't feel like my stomach was emptying. Eventually, I just took my fuel belt off and carried it to give by stomach some relief.

After the last aid station, I had less than 3 miles to go. This section took forever but finally, I turned a corner and was at the Nature Center less than a mile from the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Not really sure. The high temp and humidity played such a major roll that its hard to separate the difficulty that caused from anything else. Also this was my first time going longer than 26.2 so I have nothing to compare against. I do have to say that I felt 10x more beat up after this race than my marathon 6 weeks before.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a little and then promptly crashed on our picnic blanket. Also took a moment to remove the tick stuck on the side of my knee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the heat

Event comments:

ETUR does a great job putting on this race. This was my fourth year running here and I plan to continue to include this on my race calendar, either doing the 25K or the 50K.

Last updated: 2012-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
06:02:50 | 31.07 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/81
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2