Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite foods for camping? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-25 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4171863

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Favorite foods for camping?
ecozenmama - 2012-04-25 7:55 AM

This is the best most amazing for us, I found this recipe awhile back, and it is now a staple: 

Aztec CousCous Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 cup couscous
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1 to 1-1/4 cups water
  • 1-3/4 cups black beans or 1 (15-ounce) can
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 3 Tablespoons roasted garlic olive oil
  • 3 to 4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Preparation:

Place couscous, cumin, and salt in a large heatproof bowl or storage container and pour 1 cup boiling water on top. Cover tightly and let sit until all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. If the couscous is not quite tender, add an additional 1/4 cup of boiling water, cover, and let sit for a few minutes longer. Fluff up with a fork. 

Toss in the black beans, corn, red onioncilantro, and jalapeno. Mix in the olive oil and enough lime juice to give the salad a puckery edge. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

I've done variations of this type of thing.  Simple, easy, and satisfying.  And goes with either beer or wine. 

2012-04-25 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4166820

User image

Regular
Tennessee
Subject: RE: Favorite foods for camping?

Didn't notice if you said car camping (like with kids) or backpack type.  For car camping BACON is a MUST.

We camped all the time when I was a kid.  We had bacon for breakfast every day.  One time, my step-mom decided that she was tired of cleaning up bacon mess, and that we were only going to have cereal on this trip.  Well, we got up and started eating our cereal when the smells of bacon cooking came wafting over from all the other campsites.  We nearly killed her.  That was the last time we didn't have bacon!

Oh, and Tang.  A must.  Drink what the astronauts drink!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite foods for camping? Rss Feed  

of 2