General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Culpepper or Luray Olympic/International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-04-23 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Subject: Culpepper or Luray Olympic/International
I am planning on making one of these my first Olympic/Int distance races. Which one would ya'll recommend that have ran them before? My only issue with the Luray, which I hear is great, is it is a week before I am running a Spartan Race with a bunch of folks from work.

2012-04-25 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4167067

User image

Subject: RE: Culpepper or Luray Olympic/International

I too am on the fence between the two.  I read a couple of race reports on here about last year's Culpepper and they said the heat was brutal.   I imagine anything in Virginia in August will be about the same.  I am leaning towards Culpepper because it is earlier in the month and I wanted to start concentrating on the Marine Corp marathon training right after that.  Good luck with your decision.

2012-04-25 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Yea I am in the same boat as I will be getting ready for the MCM as well. I think I have decided to do Culpepper. It can't be any hotter than what it was like when I grew up in MS in August. Plus I think it is a little cheaper than Luray. Good luck to you as well and maybe I'll see you out there.
2012-04-30 11:12 AM

User image

DC

BUMP.

I didn't know about Culpepper until this thread.

(1) Anyone interested in collaborating resources (eg, transportation/gas)? I don't know how that would work out (I'm in Falls Church).

(2) What about either selling out? Anyone have any info on that?

2012-05-01 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4181083

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Porfirio - 2012-04-30 12:12 PM

BUMP.

I didn't know about Culpepper until this thread.

(1) Anyone interested in collaborating resources (eg, transportation/gas)? I don't know how that would work out (I'm in Falls Church).

(2) What about either selling out? Anyone have any info on that?

I am in Bristow/Gainesville area. The Culpepper International I think is only in its second year so I am not sure about it selling out. I plan on paying this week I hope. If anyone wants to work something out I am game.

2012-05-24 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Luray is the same day as Nationals which I hope to do... plus I live in Culpeper.  Culpeper is my choice, course wise I find them to be pretty similar.  Luray is supposed to have Dave Scott this year on site. 

2012-05-31 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Dave Scott is now racing Luray... sounds pretty cool, but I'll be in Vermont. 
2012-05-31 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
Maybe I can volunteer at Luray. That would be cool to meet Dave Scott. I dove in and chose Culpepper because I guy I work with is going to run it.
2012-05-31 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4173329

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
pareilly2000 - 2012-04-25 7:06 PM

I too am on the fence between the two.  I read a couple of race reports on here about last year's Culpepper and they said the heat was brutal.   I imagine anything in Virginia in August will be about the same.  I am leaning towards Culpepper because it is earlier in the month and I wanted to start concentrating on the Marine Corp marathon training right after that.  Good luck with your decision.

I've done the Culpeper races since 2008, and last year was the first time it was a heat-sufferfest.  As you said, though, it will be the same anywhere in Virginia.  

Doing Culpeper is like "coming home" for me.  Even with that hill on the run, I just love that race.

2012-05-31 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4237587

User image

DC

I've done the Culpeper races since 2008, and last year was the first time it was a heat-sufferfest.  As you said, though, it will be the same anywhere in Virginia.  

Doing Culpeper is like "coming home" for me.  Even with that hill on the run, I just love that race.

Tell us a little more about this "hill" or, the course in general. Is it a aero-position course?

2012-06-01 7:12 AM

User image

i committed to the Culpeper and registered.

Hope I will be ready for the challenging course

2012-06-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4238648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
pareilly2000 - 2012-06-01 8:12 AM

i committed to the Culpeper and registered.

Hope I will be ready for the challenging course

You and me both. It will be my first OWS so it will be exciting!!
2012-06-01 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4237791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Porfirio - 2012-05-31 4:34 PM

Tell us a little more about this "hill" or, the course in general. Is it a aero-position course?

The swim is flat :-)  Seriously, the water is great, no weeds.

The start/end of the bike is a little tricky: it's at the top of a hill above transition, with a sharp turn 100 feet after the mount line, so no flying mounts or dismounts (unless you're REALLY brave and REALLY fast).   Just after the sharp turn there's a decent grade hill for about 1/4 mile.  You'll notice the hill on the bike; you'll curse the hill on the run.  Still the overall bike course is beautiful, and you'll spend a good amount of time in aero: rolling terrain with a few fun descents and a REALLY nice section on the back stretch (smooth road, slight downhill) where you can get aero and hammer away.  End of the course is a long downhill to that sharp turn I mentioned: don't take that sharp turn too fast or you'll go down (my wife has seen carnage in the past).

Run: the run on the levee past the lake is just beautiful, great way to start/end the run.  Plenty of aid stations, and the only sunny (hot) part is on that hill I mentioned.  Good news is that you have a great downhill to finish the race.

I highly recommend "It's About Thyme" restaurant in center of town for some awesome dinner the night before, followed by the ice cream/soda fountain shop across the street.

2012-06-01 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4239162

User image

DC
windandsurf - 2012-06-01 10:25 AM
Porfirio - 2012-05-31 4:34 PM

The swim is flat :-)  Seriously, the water is great, no weeds.

The start/end of the bike is a little tricky: it's at the top of a hill above transition, with a sharp turn 100 feet after the mount line, so no flying mounts or dismounts (unless you're REALLY brave and REALLY fast).   Just after the sharp turn there's a decent grade hill for about 1/4 mile.  You'll notice the hill on the bike; you'll curse the hill on the run.  Still the overall bike course is beautiful, and you'll spend a good amount of time in aero: rolling terrain with a few fun descents and a REALLY nice section on the back stretch (smooth road, slight downhill) where you can get aero and hammer away.  End of the course is a long downhill to that sharp turn I mentioned: don't take that sharp turn too fast or you'll go down (my wife has seen carnage in the past).

Run: the run on the levee past the lake is just beautiful, great way to start/end the run.  Plenty of aid stations, and the only sunny (hot) part is on that hill I mentioned.  Good news is that you have a great downhill to finish the race.

I highly recommend "It's About Thyme" restaurant in center of town for some awesome dinner the night before, followed by the ice cream/soda fountain shop across the street.

Thank you. Very helpful!

2012-06-01 2:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bristow
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Culpepper or Luray Olympic/International Rss Feed