General Discussion Race Reports! » Potato Creek Trail Runs - Half, Full and Ultra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Potato Creek Trail Runs - Half, Full and Ultra - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
North Liberty, Indiana
United States
41F / 5C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-59
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We camped 1/2 mile from the start so I was able to sleep later and eat normal race day stuff. I slept just OK.
Event warmup:

Who warms up for a long trail run? Stretched a little but chatted with folks. A couple minutes before the gun went off the sky opened up and dumped rain and some hail to give all of us a good soaking. Should have changed into my GTX shoes but didn't have time.
Run
  • 2h 37m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Planned to do the 60K but was surprised to find knee pain about 6-7 miles in. Took a couple Advil that I'd brought with me but never got relief. Temperatures started dropping and I started feeling miserable. My fingers were numb because my gloves were soaked. My shoes were soaked through and my feet were cold. I was at a bad place mentally, angry with the knee, angry with the dropped temperatures. I remembered seeing my second pair of gloves in the camper and knew they hadn't made my drop bag. Knew I'd packed a pair of wool socks and the GTX shoes so was figuring out what to change at the 13.1 mark. I realized after a couple more miles that my knee pain was greater than I'd felt before and that I was in no shape to continue. Athough I do these events for fun and exercise, it wasn't happening for me this day.
What would you do differently?:

Get a new knee and don't forget to pack the second pair of gloves.
Post race
Warm down:

After some tears of frustration and humilitation I changed shoes at the finish, put on some layers, grabbed a cupcake(homemade by the RD's wife which were delicious)and walked back through the trails to the campground feeling like a failure. Used all the hot water in the camper for the shower then took a nap. Felt drained of energy the rest of the day. Overall I was out of sorts and not my normal, cheerful self.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee and weather

Event comments:

I love this race as it's the site of my first marathon and it's a beautiful course. It's a small, family run race where the money goes to a good cause. They have a bagpiper at the start playing beautifully and it's organized. The trails were marked better than they were last year (which was the first year) but it would be nice to have arrow signs and mile markers as some of the painted arrows were washed away with the hard rain. Lord's willing I'll be back next year to do all 3 loops and earn my 60K personally engraved metal. In the meantime, I've got to find a resolution to my knee pain.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-04-09 12:00 AM
Running
02:37:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: First half of course was on a wide gravel road/trail with one long slow uphill at first then pretty flat. Second half of the course was on the single track mountain bike trail which was pretty flat and only a few hills. It had a lot of switchbacks and was beautiful but slippery and full of standing water from the hard rain.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 9:18 PM

User image

Subject: Potato Creek Trail Runs - Half, Full and Ultra
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Potato Creek Trail Runs - Half, Full and Ultra Rss Feed