Royse City, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 31m 57s
Overall Rank = 14/34
Age Group = M19-24
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race site earlier than I usualy would have. This was my first time trial so I knew that I needed to do a good warm-up before hand but didn't really know exactly how much or just what to do.

Sat in my Jeep and took a good 20 minute nap to start things off. There were a few people there setting things up but no one was actually on their bikes yet. Once they started handing out packets I walked over and got mine.
Event warmup:

After another 10 minutes nap I started to get things ready. While I was setting up Mike(turqy) rode up and said hi as he was about to start his warm-up. John(jcagg90) stopped by to introduce himself as well.

I got my tires pumped and did a few laps around the high school. I said hi to Jack along the way before I found Turq and we did a few miles on the course before it was time to start.

Finally they had us all get together and lined us up three at a time. Turq was right ahead of me. I wished him luck before he started and once he was off and pedaling I clipped in and had the volunteer hold my bike up as I waited for the countdown.
Bike
  • 31m 57s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 23.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I shot out of the gate as fast as I could and worked my way through my gears to get to the faster end of my cassette. It had rained the night before which had kept alot of racers from showing up today (it was the first time for this race). Because of this they had lots of spaces without racers but for timing purposes they had to have everyone start as if everyone was there. So even though Turq was the person ahead of me, there was a 1:30 difference between our start times. These didn't give me anyone 0:30 ahead to use as my mark.

I pushed through the first few small rollers without a problem. After a few miles I could see Turq and he was getting closer and closer. I knew that I could beat him today but I wasn't planning on chasing him down during the first half of the race. But since there was no one else to pace off of, he became my target for the day.

I didn't want to push too hard on the way out so that I wouldn't burn out on the way back, but I really wanted catch Turq on the first half of the course. I came over the largest hill of the day and ride down gave me enough momentum to pass him on the next small hill.

I could see the first three starters on their way back in so I knew the turn was close. A minutes later I was headed back the other direction and could see that two other people had passed Turq as well. I knew these guys had started a ways back from me, so if they caught him already then that meant they could catch me if I didn't get to work.

I bumped up my exertion level and tried to really hammer on the way back. We had been riding into a light headwind but at the turn no one got nearly the amount of push we had all been hoping for.

They way back in felt extremely fast. Other than one incident where a dog was standing in the road in front of his house. He would bark at a cyclist and run with them as they went by. Once they were out of sight he would stand and wait for the next one coming the other direction so he could run and bark at that person for a moment. Damn dog made me hit my brakes just to make sure I didn't hit him. Grrrrr...

Coming back up the last steep hill I could see the water tower near the school off in the distance. I was starting to run out of gas but once I could see the finish line in sight I gave it everything I had left and sprinted through.
What would you do differently?:

Pedal harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Coasted around the school as I let my heart calm down. Talked to Jack for a second and found out that old man had spanked me by over a minute. After a lap around the parking lot I got back on the road and waited for Turq to finish.

We road down the country road and into a small community before we turned around and headed back to the school parking lot. Once we finally racked our bikes we stood around and talked to the other racers before the awards ceremony.

Everyone seemed to of had a good time and I think there will be a really good turn out for the TT next month. The awards were nice because instead of trophies or medals they gave out free entries into the next TT! How cool is that!?! I won the entry for this race at the RBM tri-night raffle and now my next race would be free as well! If I can just keep winning my AG then I'll never have to pay for this series!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of experience. Poor hill training.

Event comments:

Great race. Perfect site for a time trial. Just needed more people to show up, but this was the very first race in the series and the weather was horrible the night before.

Last updated: 2006-04-27 12:00 AM
Biking
00:31:57 | 12.43 miles | 23.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 14/34
Performance:
AVG HR: 157
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %.5
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-26 3:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-05-26 4:43 PM
in reply to: #435696

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: Royse City Time Trial
Nice job Aaron!  Super fast average!  And of course, there s no better award for you than more free races.

Edited by OldAg92 2006-05-26 4:43 PM
2006-05-26 8:06 PM

Queen BTich

Way to kick Turqy's ass!

2006-05-27 12:47 PM

Champion
I could totally beat you in my car.
2006-05-27 7:27 PM

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Aaron, just what you need, more races to add to your schedule.  I guess you probably had them in already and now just don't have to pay for it.  Great job.
2006-05-29 4:10 PM

Champion

The racing machine!!!  I love those shorter time trials.  You go all out and feel like you're going to puke on the handlebars, but it's over with in a flash!!  Nice race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Royse City Time Trial Rss Feed