General Discussion Race Reports! » Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cincinnati Flying Pig Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cincinnati, Ohio
United States
Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon
HotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 342/1100
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, took a quick shower, grabbed some coffee, squeezed into my new CWX Compression Shorts (I really like them) through on my RWB Shirt, grabbed some pop-tarts and headed out the door with my FTP.
Event warmup:

Waiting in line for the Porta-Potty - I had to pee and I was going to be damned if I would have to stop during the race to go.
Run
  • 2h 14m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a tough half marathon for a couple of reasons. One, I was probably a little under-trained for this race. My longest run to date prior to the race was 7.5 miles. Although my run base was decent and my weekly mileage was decent (anywhere from 17-26 miles per week) for the last 6 weeks or so, I probably should have squeezed in a couple of 10 milers just to make this easier. The second and third reason this was tough was not only was it warm, it was humid and this course is not an easy course. My lack of hill training was definitely evident. My goal was to finish this in 2:10:00 which would have put me just under 10:00/mile but I missed it and looking at my splits on the Garmin, I started dropping my pace around mile 6 which was where the start of the 3 mile long up hill climb began. Oh well. The other thing I really need to work on is fueling. I had some breakfast, then had a GU about 5 minutes before the start and one at mile 8ish. My original plan was to GU at the start, at Mile 5 and again at mile 9, but I couldn't force it. I feel like anytime I want to run long there is a delicate balance I have to maintain because I'm fearful of GI distress while on the course. This was an issue when I ran the Marine Corps Marathon last fall too. I was ok for the actual running on those two GUs, but the problem happened when I finished.
What would you do differently?:

There wasn't really anything I could have done differently. This went as well as could be expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Once I finished the race, I was too far behind the nutrition curve and felt really light headed and my stomach was turning over. I walked through the line got water, gatorade, a banana, and some fritos. Took some finish line photos and then walked with my FTP to the finish line festival. My FTP grabbed a couple of the free food offerings like a brat and a sausage sandwich but my stomach was too upset to eat anything. At one point after finishing I had to lay down on the grass because I felt like I was going to yack and the last thing I wanted was food which was totally counterproductive because that was exactly what I needed. It wasn't until about an hour later when my FTP got me some cold apple juice and I had a chance to sip on that for 20 minutes that I finally started to feel better.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more long runs and some hill work built into my routine, ugh I hate hills, did I mention that?

Last updated: 2012-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:08 | 13.1 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 342/1100
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: Half Marathon course through downtown Cincinnati and over to Kentucky and back. Lots of elevation change including a 3 mile segment that is all up hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes