General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri's- Need bike advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-07 7:38 PM

Subject: New to Tri's- Need bike advice

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the sport. I've done 2 sprints, one was with a local Y and was not very organized (got kicked in the head and punched in the side in the water...needless to say, I wasn't interested in a repeat). Second was an indoor tri, which felt a little like a timed workout. It was fun, but not great.

I've spent the last year dedicated to marathon training and went from zero to 26.2 in 6 months, ultimately completing 3 fulls and several halfs between October and March. I started to incorporate the swim and bike as cross training for overuse injuries from all my running and as you can imagine, I am gravitating toward Tri's.

A friend took me on a road ride a few weeks ago and I came home and immediately signed up for a sprint in June, with several others this summer on my wish list, should I finish this one and get hooked. I am a study of anything I get obsessed with, and was led here by my web searching for information. I'm glad to find a community of like-minded people with scores of experience to help newbies like me. I have lots of questions!

My biggest right now is about how to find a beginner bike. Unfortunately, I sent a Q&A request about what kind of bike to buy to a friend who is getting ready to compete in her first Ironman, and she suggested that I "invest" in a tri bike and not to spend under $700-$1000. Problem is, I have a very VERY limited budget and there is no way this would work (my husband isn't thrilled yet about this new venture). I found a $300 bike that seems to have gotten some good reviews (GMC Denali road bike) and hope I won't get laughed at for riding a generic brand and that it will have upgradeable features so I can get thru this newbie honeymoon stage of tri's, training, maybe an oly... and possibly a century ride. I'm nervous about going into a shop and ending up frustrated. Any tips on the best way to "try tri's" in the bike area until I can save up for a better bike would be much appreciated. 

Also, any advice on how to handle OWS without panicking... I'm a little worried that my marathon cardio won't do me any good once I get in the water with all the other bodies. I have no real OWS opportunities pre-race. (I'm a decent lap swimmer). 

Thanks in advance for all the great info. I look forward to soaking up all the knowledge here on this site. 

2012-05-07 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4196053

Veteran
Subject: RE: New to Tri's- Need bike advice

You do NOT need a tri bike.  If you can only afford one bike, then a road bike is the way to go.  It is much more versatile.  If you are worried about others looking at you, try showing up for a group ride on a tri bike.  Lots of folks won't allow a tri bike in a group ride.

If you get into tris long term and move up to a HIM, then it might be worth investing some more $$$$, but for sprints and Olys, a road bike is just fine.

I picked up a 3 year old Specialized Aleze for $500 on Craig's list last summer and love it so much, I sold my Specialized Transition tri bike.  I enjoy riding with other cyclists too much and live in the mountains.....both situations are not conducive for a tri bike.

2012-05-07 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

First off..Welcome!  I would like to also reiterate that you don't need a tri bike.  I completed my first tri on a hybrid mountain bike, and actually came in second in my AG.  For pure comfort and speed, I just purchased a brand new Fuji road bike for under $600 because it was last years model.  This is all I need to complete up to Oly distance. My husband competes in IM, and has just purchased his first Tri bike after years of competing.  He finished his first HIM on a 20 year old Libertas road bike, and finished in sub 5 1/2 hours. 

Second for the swimming...have you ever done an OWS?  Unfortunately you are going to get your feet grabbed, kicked in the face, swallow water, swam over, etc.  This happens, and you just have to remain calm and keep your pace.  I would suggest trying to find a local tri club that does supported OWS's.  We have one who supports out at Boerne lake every Saturday morning.  It is great, and a good way to get some free advice from some more experienced athletes. The best way to get over the fear is to just get out there and swim in the open water as much as you can. 

2012-05-08 6:43 AM

Thank you for setting my mind at ease about bikes. I still have a lot to consider, but knowing my friend was off base in her suggestion help me realize it's like deciding between a new Hyundai or a used Honda....and she suggested a Porsche. 

As for the OWS, I have done OWS a few times and found out right away it was nothing like lap swimming. I am doing an OWS next weekend and hope to have time for one or two more before my event. Once I get over the crowd in the water, I'm sure I'll be OK. I never thought to find a club. I'll have to see what is in my area. 

Thank you so much! I appreciate all the help! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri's- Need bike advice Rss Feed