General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming Swimming in the Sea Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-27 9:47 PM

User image

Apollo Beach, Florida
Subject: Overcoming Swimming in the Sea
Hi, I used to be a hockey , when I finished playing hockey about 13 years ago I just worked out ran here and there. However last year I started running and actually got into it, have 'nt done any races. My 44 birthday will be coming up on Tuesday and I am ready to do a sprint triathlon. I have been training however how long will it take me be ready for my 1st triathlon and secondly how do you overcome the swim in the sea. Scarey stuff, any mental advice to keep you thinking positive in the water.... humming a song while you swim? Just joking .....calling all takers for advice, thanks

2006-05-28 2:58 AM
in reply to: #436348

User image

Regular
Unbelievable Krimewave
Subject: RE: Overcoming Swimming in the Sea
Welcome to BT.

How long to be ready for your first Triathlon really depends on how long it is and what kind of level of fitness you are at now, there are lots of training plans available here, sprint ones tend to start at 16 weeks but have a look and see how the volume relates to what you can do now and perhaps tailor it from there?

I was pretty worried about getting in the sea as well. Never been a strong swimmer & was always scared of getting out of my depth as I could not tread water.
But then it depends what it is about sea swimming that freaks you out. Sharks? Deepness? Touching seaweed? (freaks me out ) sewage outflows?

If you can find a nice gently sloping beach you can swim parallel to the shore easily and never get out of your depth, if it gets too much you can just stand up. That should help you get used to swimming with the waves/currents.
I did that a few times on holiday in Lanzarote, then when it came to swimming here I felt confident to just get in and do it, and the sea was very choppy that day. I spent 25 minutes out of my depth and was absolutely fine. Start small and work up I guess is the advice, same with everything!

A wetsuit will make a huge difference, there is no way I would feel comfortable in the sea without one.
2006-05-28 9:09 PM
in reply to: #436408

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Overcoming Swimming in the Sea

I'm with you Bug.  The seaweed freaks me out way more than any fish or sharks or depth issues.  I honestly prefer murky water than I can't see in, to clean clear water where I can see everything.

I highly recommend doing a couple of swims in the ocean just to get acclimated to it, prior to your race. 

Last year, I signed up to do the Pacific Grove oly in Sept.  The swim is in Monterey Bay, and the idea of swimming through all that kelp had me really freaked out for weeks before the race.  Two weeks before, we drove down and I spent about an hour just floating around in the bay, swimming a bit here and there, just to get my brain prepared for race day. 

But, to tell the truth, on race day, it was overcast and the water seemed murky enough, and I was so focused on just finishing, that I hardly noticed it at all. 

And wet suits are great.  A wetsuit + salt water = impossible to drown.  You're like a cork. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overcoming Swimming in the Sea Rss Feed