United States
IMNA
Total Time = 5h 34m 6s
Overall Rank = 589/1937
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 96/256
Pre-race routine:

I'll just post my race report:
Okay, just awoke from a much-deserved nap and thought I'd post this while it's still fresh. Well, quite a day, and first, kudos to Tom Ziebart and crew for putting on a top-notch race.
The day began...dare I say..."cool" with temps around 70 in the pre-dawn. Rode up to the race site in my golf cart (that's how you get around Ft. Wilderness). The area was abuzz and I managed to borrow a neighbor's pump and get situated in what was definitely the most-crowded transition I've ever been in. There was NO rack space so bikes were crammed in there! The sun was coming up and it was time for the swim start. Water temps were easily low 80's...as warm as the pool I train in for sure. Hit the water at 6:49am, just shy of a year to the date of my first-ever triathlon in Newport Beach in 2005, making today a poignant race for me. My PB for 1/2 iron is 5:45, so I wanted to beat that, but realistically thought the forecast mid-90 temps would prevent it.
Anyway, out on the swim, I felt good, and got into a good rhythm about 200 meters into it, staying on the outside so I could pass easily but missing out on drafting opportunities. I really don't like to swim in the crowd, but it does cost me. I began passing prior waves about midway through the swim and bumped a few people that had stopped to see where they were going, but pressed on. One of my goggle sockets started leaking near the end, but I just kept going. Beautiful venue there for the swim by the way, and the water was great IMO. I had posted at 35-min. swim at IM 70.3 Calif. in March, and hoped to beat that, but ended up with 39 minutes!!! Bummer....I guess not having a wetsuit makes a big difference?
Into T1 and I spent a bit too long here (5 mins), but I didn't want to forget anything. I was loading up with salt pills, bars, gels, race number, helmet, glasses, etc.
Once out on the bike, I was feeling strong and maintained 20mph or greater for much of the race. From about mile 10 to mile 30, there was a light fog which helped keep temps down alot, and we had a very light breeze, not enough to really slow us down that much. I loved the rural scenery of the ride..something I don't get alot in SoCal, and the road conditions, other than about 1/2 mile stretch around the midpoint were outstanding. That 1/2 mile stretch was abysmal, but the pirate-themed aid station made it worthwhile. I was shouting "ARRR" going through there, much to the delight of the "pirates" along the road. There was another aid station under an overpass with a Hawaiian theme which was awesome too!
I was sticking with my nutrition and downed a Clif Bar and two gels, and two bottles of Gatorade, and one of water, and dumped another bottle of water on my head for the last ten miles or so, as it was now steaming up a bit. Felt strong, despite a small stretch around mile 40 where I usually start to feel a bit fatigued on longer rides, but popped out of that after a gel, and ramped it up a bit to hold around 22mph for the last 10 miles. I was actually pretty surprised at myself that I was going to finish the bike in under 3 hours, and hold 20mph avg. That's good for me, though it sucks for most of you I'm sure. I posted a 2:47 bike split and was looking at a shot at beating my 1/2 IM PB time if I could maintain a decent run.
Quick T2 in less than 3 mins. Made a snap decision not to wear my Fuel Belt and instead slugged one of the bottles quickly before departing (I never usually drink in transition to save time). So, off on the run and it was quite obvious it was going to be a hellish heatfest! THANK GOD they had aid stations every half mile!!!!! I hit the aid stations HARD grabbing Gatorade, ice, water, sponges, and dumped ice water down my back and front every time, and put ice in my cap and let it melt under my hat while I ran. Actually got ice cream headaches a few times, but it kept my core temp down enough to maintain a run. Stopped at a portapotty on lap one and peed, so I was taking on enough liquids obviously, but the temperature inside the portapotty had to have been 120 degrees! It was a freaking sauna! Saw a few folks walking, cramping, etc., but most were running.
The run led us down these narrow grass trails along these canals, and I half-expected gators to slither out and snatch up an errant runner or two, but the horror never happened. It was effing HOT with no wind and 80% of the run was un-shaded, so it was pretty oppressive! These trails were narrow and passing was a bit of a bummer...and some folks would stop in the middle of the trail and walk or adjust something and you'd have to go around them, and there were cups, sponges, etc. strewn right in the middle of the trail. Just not alot of running room with 2000 plus people out there.
The aid station people were AWESOME handing out everything we needed. Things seemed to be thinning out toward my 3rd lap, but they were well-stocked, so everyone was doing well I think.
Heather Golnick passed me on her final lap and said "looking good", which shows she's a classy gal in my book.
After lap 2 and a gel, I saw that if I could maintain my pace, my PB time was going down, so I ramped it up, and started passing people. I was mentally focussed on blocking the pain, and thought about how good it was going to feel to stop running at the end. In the last 500 yards, the cheering crowd amped me up, and I forgot the pain, and in the last 100 yards, my infamous "rubber band legs" kicked in and I blew by 2 people in the finish chute to go 5:34, which for me is outstanding. I had wondered how the heat was going to affect me, but my race plan worked out great.
I grabbed my goodies and stood in front of one of the epic water fans they had at the finish and cooled off, and then hit up the free pizza/cookies/soda, etc.
I have to say that I loved this race, the venue, the whole vibe, and being at Disney (which I love) was icing on the cake and my wife/daughter love it too. Only bummer is going to be having to leave on Weds. Thanks again Tom Z and crew for putting on a first-class race, and I'll be back next year, hopefully with my wife racing too! A great time!

Swim
  • 38m 57s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 05m 13s
Bike
  • 2h 47m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.03 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 02m 50s
Run
  • 1h 59m 22s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Post race

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-05-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:57 | 2112 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/256
Overall: 0/1937
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:45 | 56 miles | 20.03 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:22 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-28 11:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: IM 70.3 Florida

2006-05-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #436908

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 Florida

Congrats on an awesome race and PB just a year after your first Tri!!

Really incredible all you have done.

Fun race report to hear about the little details that make a difference and you notice during the race...felt right there with you.

I look forward to some more great race reports from you this season!

2006-05-29 11:20 AM
in reply to: #437007

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Subject: RE: IM 70.3 Florida
Thanks Kathy! That was my fourth race this year, and I have three more races in the next 4 weeks...can't wait! Woo hoo!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IM 70.3 Florida Rss Feed