General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Co.
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 37m 49s
Overall Rank = 143/171
Age Group = 32 - 36?
Age Group Rank = 124/143
Pre-race routine:

Got up on earlier than normal and had some cereal. A couple of hours later during my normal wake up time I had my usual breakfast. Protein shake with water and carb drink. Also had banana. Then drove off to the event.
Event warmup:

Seems like the walk (1/2 mile with tri bag) warmed me up.
Swim
  • 38m 2s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim is my favorite part of the tri. It is also my best part. I was nervous that the water would be too cold so I used my swim sleeves. Once I jumped in the water I was fine. About 3/4 thru the swim my right sleeve started to fill up with water and slowed me down a bit. Overall I was very, very happy with my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Not use swim sleeves. Other than that, nothing. Although I probably could have trained more for the swim I am happy that I trained more for the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 08m 36s
Comments:

I knew I was taking my time in T1 and that I was going slow, but did not realize how slow! I probably wasted a couple of minutes fighting to get my arm warmers on.

EVERYTHING!!!!
Bike
  • 3h 21m 59s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I was the only person with an aluminum tri bike. I thought this going in so I did not feel intimidated.

Once I got on my bike (which I jokingly call me P.O.C...Piece of Crap but I am glad that it is mine) I was shivering the 1st 5 miles!

The first loop on the bike I did at an average pace of 18.5 miles per hour. I knew I was going faster than what I expected on the B-Line but was comfortable. Then I messup up. I did not do my nutrition until an hour and 45 minutes on the bike. Also, on the second loop the wind was in my face going downhill so I got no help there. Miles 36 - 42 were bad with cramps and when I did finally use the rest room I almost slipped off the bike. Getting back on the bike was not good either as my left buttocks started to hurt. I knew the bike was going to be my worse part and I was hoping of an average of 17mph (which I did not get).

A little bit more training on the bike with some more 50 mile rides.

Nutrition.

Transition 2
  • 05m 8s
Comments:

I was late on my nutrition so took a minute to down some gels. I also knew that I was not going for podium so I decided to enjoy the moment.
Run
  • 2h 24m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I took my friend Kaveh (he did 2011 IronmanAZ) and slowed down at the start. I actually walked the first 3 minutes to get my legs back. I am glad that I did as I did the first loop at an average pace of about 9 minute miles. I was excited as my overall HIM goal was 7 hours or better and I thought I was going to make it in 6 and a half. Mile 7 was when my legs came out from under me. I expected that as this was my first HIM, but wow. They got wobbly. I started to do runs to aid stations and walk thru stations to 2 minute run and then 1 minute walks. Although slowing down I never stopped and kept slodging along. Mile 10 though I had issues as I started to cramp on my right side and although my mind said that I was running my body was not. I ended up walking between Mile 10.5 - 11.5 and was dissappointed in myself. Knowing that I was almost done I started to plod along to the finish line. I turned the corner at the end and saw the chute as well as my friend Denise (another Ironman finisher...why do I hang with these people???). I remember her saying that I was almost there and I saw that it said 6:40. I remember asking her if that said 6:40, she said yes, and then somehow I was able to sprint to the end. As I came past the chute I raised my hands up. I am not the fastest swimmer, biker, or runner, but, I trained for and did a half ironman! Not bad for a fat sick kid growing up in and out of hospitals.

Poor nutrition on the bike probably did not help me. Maybe do some more brick training.
Post race
Warm down:

My wife took me over to the PT's at the aid station and I was stretched. My whole left side seemed like one big knot.

After the race I made it home and hung out with my kids in our hot tub. we ordered a pizza for dinner. I was not really able to eat but managed a slice and a beer. 2 days later I was able to eat again and for breakfast had the 7 remaining slices of pizza. Guess I was hungry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor nutrition during the race. I was all set up on gels and goo and used 1/2 of what I wanted to.

Event comments:

Red Rock, who did this race, as always puts on a great race and I am glad that this was my first HIM.

Last updated: 2012-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:02 | 2112 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/143
Overall: 87/171
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:21:59 | 56 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Overall: 192/171
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Tempe to B-Line and back, 2 loops.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:24:18 | 13.1 miles | 11m 01s  min/mile
Overall: 163/171
Performance: Below average
Course: Tempe Town Lake, 2 Loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-16 4:27 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed