General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new canadian Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-11-19 10:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: new canadian
Hello everyone,

I started training for tri's about a month ago. I went through a serious life change about 2 years ago and ran my first marathon this past summer.
I am 43 years old and it seems that in the last two years I have been getting to really know what I'm made of for the first time.
In the last two years I have lost 65lbs, stopped drinking ( and other things ) and I'm back with my family. Yes, I am very proud! Now, with your help, I'm going to compete in the Subaru Triathlon series this comming summer.

speak to you all soon,

Geoff

2003-11-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1872

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: RE: new canadian
Great job in transforming your life inside and out! Keep up the great work.
2003-11-19 1:30 PM

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Well done matey. You can to the right site, have a look at the beginner training program, and we all love to put our two cents in

Craig
2003-11-19 3:34 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
quiet the transformation geoffs!  i was looking at the subaru series...what distances r u competing in?  i see about 10 races...how many u doing? 
2003-11-19 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Ron,

For the Subaru series, I hope to compete in most of the sprint tri's building to an Olympic distance in Sept at Wasaga beach. This event is held by Multisport Canada. The good news is that I am really enjoying the training, allot!
I do have a question concerning nutrition. My workout schedule includes 3 weight training workouts per week on top of my bike, run and swim workouts. I am getting lean but not gaining muscle mass. What should my Carb, Protein, Fat percentages be. Currently I am eating about 6 small meals a day 50%p 30%c 20%f. Am I doing this all wrong? Ron, According to your picture you should be able to answer this question.

Thank you for any advice,

Geoff

2003-11-19 4:32 PM

Veteran
Washington
Geoff,
Congratualtions on turning your life around!! It takes a major commitment to make those kinds of changes. Training should come easy to your nature from the sounds of it. Welcome.

2003-11-19 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1893

User image

Champion
Gold member

well geoff...u def have a decent amount of protein...ASSUMING your gettting enough total calories for all your training.  THEN i must ask u to describe your lifting routine..."a day in the life of geoffs at the gym"  ...your lifting schedule, exercises, sets per exercise and typical min and max reps.  THEN we can offer a diagnosis.

i'm a skinny guy goeffs...it takes me a lot of work to gain any weight...somebody has got to push me...for most of my growth phase i had this red-head as a spotter...u all know about them...red-heads have a little more energy than the rest of us.  this guy was psycho...

1. For one thing, whenever i got stuck on a lift he wouldn't lift the bar up for me like most people do.  he just gave me about 1/4 of a pound to JUST keep it moving in a forward motion...it may have taken me 1 minute to finish that last rep but it was 99.99% all me.  i would be squirming like a worm.  THAT is growth.  THEN after that rep he would tell me i had one more in me...more squirming.  even though the very last rep may have been only 50% me and it felt like my arms were not part of my body anymore, EVERY fiber of my muscle was spent.
  2. only one body part per week.  if u push yourself as hard as u do in #1, u need a week to recover and grow.
  3. need heavy days...where u do a few warm-ups then go immediatley to ~85% of max, then max, then 110% of max for 2-3 reps...u will only be able to get one though...or not even BUT your body will 'feel' the weight and accomadate by growing.  *u NEED a spotter*

took me about 6months to start growing...be patient and lift hard...i also lifted BEFORE tri training...so i had full reserves.  remember...lifting for mass will make tri training a little more difficult...just be sure to go easy on your legs.  keep the squats, leg extensions, and ham curls on the light side. 

look forward to seeing your schedule.

2003-11-19 8:46 PM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Ron
I am using your routine to work out and altered the days to where I take Thursdays off. Well the adive you give about taking it easy on your legs is unfortunately very true. Today I decided I needed to change my long run from Thursday to Wednesday because of work. Well today was my leg workout and I didn't even think of the run I had tonight. Worked my legs heavy and since I am still in my first month of training listened to my body which was telling me to take the night off. I might miss my long run this week but I do know I won't be hurting or injured. My race is 7 months away. No hurry but very good advice.
2003-11-19 9:01 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Congrats on everthing!

Still Tri'n
Michael
2003-11-19 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1902

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Ron
isn't that the rub rio?  doing tri's u must sacrifice one of the best mass building exercies for at least half your body - squats.  u do them?  or heavy other legs stuff?  i am trying to just do 3 sets of squats instead of 5 while keeping the weight...see how that does for me.  of course after the 3rd set, i must do 4 and 5 cuz i am a sucker!
2003-11-20 5:12 AM
in reply to: #1893

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
That's a good question Geoff. Are you trying to gain muscle mass? If so, how much. Generally when people are gaining mass, they cut there cardio back to 1 or 2 easy sessions a week and get a lot of protein. You are saying 50%, but how many grams a day are you getting and how much do you weigh. Common suggestions for gaining mass is 1.5g (and some say even more) protein per pound of body weight. What kind of weight training are you doing? Out of curiosity, are you doing BFL? Your program sounds like it or something similar.

2003-11-20 5:15 AM
in reply to: #1902

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Good job listening to your body Rio. It is so easy to over do it. It takse a while to get in tune with your body and you always have to be on guard if it's your body talking or your mind whimping out :-) But running same day as legs even on an easy workout is too much for me. I don't swim train yet, but I plan on combining legs and swimming on same day. Anyone have thoughts on that?

2003-11-20 5:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I usually combine swimming with my leg workouts and that seems to work fine. They still feel rubbery that evening but no big deal. I just had to change or try to adjust my workout because of a conflict and ending up cxl'ing the run. Of the three, running is my strongest (not that I am a strong runner but rather very weak swim/bike) so to cxl one it would be the run I could miss first.

Ron,
I do squats, leg press, knee extension and knee curls and love to work my legs. Always have. I don't care much for the knee curls and extensions but I tore a tendon in my knee in September playing basketball and now I am trying to build up strength in my knees. I have never had knee problems and they don't seem to mind the training yet. I stretch 5 times a day, ice my knee after runs and it seems to work. However, when I don't update my log I feel I haven't done anything so it is very hard not to train of the off days when you know you missed a run but slow and steady will get me there.
2003-11-20 6:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Thanks for the info Ron.

Today was back day and I had a great wookout because I now have a spotter/weight training partner. It's amazing what can happen if you just ask. Ron, as per your note a spotter is what was needed because I am always stopping before that final rep. I'll write down my excersises a little latter in the day for some constructive comments.

Thanks again for the advice,

Geoff

2003-11-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Ron,

Here is my Weekly workout any suggestions are welcome:

Monday 6:00am Chest workout I) bench ii) fly’s iii) cable fly’s IV) incline bench v) crunches 20-40 min hard bike
Monday night: squash (competitive league play)
Tuesday morning: 6:00 am easy run 20-30min
Wednesday 6:00am shoulders workout: side raises, lateral raises, and military press, standing pull downs Crunches
Wednesday night: run 6-10km 70-80% effort
Thursday 6:00am back workout: dead lifts, pull downs, seated row, back extensions, 10-20mile hard bikes
Thursday night: 1 hour swim easy
Friday 6:00am: arm workout preacher curls, standing curls, hammer curls, tri pull down, tri extension.
Saturday 7:00am-9:00am swimming lesions, Long bike 1-2 hours (LSD)
Sunday: long run 10-16km (LSD)

All weight workouts are 4 sets with 60-90sec rest. I am open to all suggestions. My goals are to compete in the Subaru triathlon series next summer. Weakest event swim.
2003-11-20 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1930

User image

Champion
Gold member

killer program geoff!  keep that spotter with u and u will be ripped in several months.  i see no leg workout...well, maybe deadlifts.  something i learned when building up biking and running (too fast) was that i developed some 'mild' hamstring tendinitis where is connect to back of your knee.  3 easy sets (10-15 reps each) of leg extensions and hamstring curls cleared it up...i would recomend these on the light side (i only do about 60-8-% of max) to keep those tendons and joints strong...deadlifts won't necesarily do that as not a lot of range of motion.

i see that your getting in about 3 bikes, 3 runs and 2 swims.  i think that u mentioned that swiming is difficult for u??? my recommendation is to eliminate a bike and add a swim workout.  so 3 run, 3swim, 2 bike.

i just came up with a program outline for my 1/2 im for sept 2004...check it out...just some ideas...it works for my schedule.  nobody is right.

Mon

Tue

Wed

Thu

Fri

Sat

Sun

AM

Abs

Chest

Legs

Shoulders

AM

Tri's

Back

Bi's

AM

Abs

Abs

Abs

AM

Swim (long)

Swim (short)

Swim (short)

PM

Bike (short)

Bike (long)

Bike (short)

PM

Run (short)

Run (short)

Run (long)

note that i have space b/w long run and bike to recupe.  Sunday after long run is variable if it's raining on saturday.  i like to combine chest and tri's as they both overlap.  i only focus on the core lifts such as flat/incline bench, squats, tri pushdowns, narrow grip bench, military, preachers and standing db curls.  just 2 exercise per bodypart as my time is too short in the morn to do more and make the swim.  i look forward to the swim as it's a great cool down...if u notice in my log, this program is not implemented yet...waiting for school to be done...3 WEEKS BABY!!!!

hope this is insightful!  and i hope your getting sore. 

2003-11-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1913

User image

Champion
Gold member

yeah rio...something i usually find out the hard way...u must work the damaged area for healing instead of sitting around...keep up on the extensions/curls.

2003-11-21 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Thanks Ron,

I think your right; I will change one of my bikes into a swimming session and have a leg workout on Tuesday morning after my run. I like your program, makes allot of sense.
How many weeks before a tri do you start to work on things like hill training, speed training, etc?

I'll let you know how the changes work for me.

Thanks very much for the input,

Geoff
2003-11-21 8:27 AM
in reply to: #1933

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks for sharing your program Ron. I hope I don't sound too critical, but Thursday seems like a greatly overloaded day. Legs and back WO (2 biggest muscle groups) and then a swim and run the same day. I was curious if there was a reason for that split. The common 3 day split I use is 1-Chest-Shoulders-Tris 2-Back-Bis 3- legs Legs and Back on same day is a lot to recover from. Most of muscle growth occurs from recovery. Thanks again for sharing Ron
2003-11-21 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1911

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Hi Cameron,

What I want to do is participate in Tri's this coming season. I am eating about 30-40 grams of protein per meal and 5 grams of creatine and 5 grams of glutamine daily. I did try the BFL quite a while ago with good success so I guess the old habits have followed me.

Because I put my body through many, many years of abuse I don’t have allot of muscle and I don’t have allot of (explosive) power so I thought that by putting on some mass that this would help especially with the bike and swim.

Any thoughts?

Geoff
2003-11-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1946

User image

Champion
Gold member

thanx for the critique cameron...yes, when things get into the full swing, that is a lot on thursdays - legs and back, swim and eve run...since recovering from elbow tendinitis, the back is the last thing i have not implemented yet...so it will be light and very conservative.  that kind of pulling motions has a lot to do with your forearms muscles/tendons - even with wrist straps - SO it will be light and slow as that is where my teninitis was.  ideally, i want to do get back into doing upright rows and wide grip pullups for the back...gonna start with light rows and pulley pull-downs for now.  u know what cam?  even on an intense leg or back session, my swim is strong...the run may suffer BUT this is the only way i can have: 3 workouts per event, the runs and bike have a day in b/w, weekends are off except for long run so i have family and heal time.  i DID used to split up back and legs when i was full throttle...maybe i will sometime if i find i'm too tired.  may be implementing your idea in the future...see where i am...good to mix it up.

also cam, i see u do chest and shoulders the same day?  do u lift for strength or mass?  being both core mass exercises, i like to split them up...PLUS militarys r my fav...i need full reserves so doing them on a chest day is out.

rio, u should do wide grip pullups behind your neck (if it doesn't bother shoulders) that is a great latissimus dorsi (?) - mass exercise for your back...u will get those coveted wings.  of course, starting out, u will only be able to do a few per set.  can have a spooter helping u by lifting u up by the legs or waist.  also, wrist straps help a lot to hold on so u can focus on the pull-up and not on the grip.

2003-11-21 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Let me start by saying I am new to triathlons (haven't even done one yet). When I played racquetball tournaments, it is a very explosive movement game and I found theat working out had a significant effect on getting me through a 12 match weekend. I don't know that you need to put on mass for that explosive strength, but it does look good :-) With all the cardio, it will be tough to biuld mass at the same time. A big part of gaining muscle is the recovery period. I would generally build muscle in offseason (take 1-2 months off of playing) and just workout with little or no cardio.

If you are new to working out, you will have muscle gains pretty much no matter what you do and then the gains will slow down and sometimes stop :-) The supplements are helpful when the gains slow down. Keep in mind that there is no magic pill. Nutrition is key. Sounds like you are getting a good protein amount (35g is a good average amount per meal on 6 meal plan). Some things to consider is 1/2 protein shake 30mins prior to a workout and immediately after, have a carb/protein mix. When I use creatine, I like to mix creatine (Phoshpagen HP) and unflavored protein shake. Otherwise I have a Myoplex shake then a regular meal about an hour later. I also would have a protein shake as my 6th meal about an hour before bed most nights. This helps in muscle recovery as well as fat loss. Not sure how that will do with a tri training routine where that carb source before bed might be need for next morning. Maybe someone else could help from that side of things.

You also have to be sure to get plenty of sleep. Try for 8 hours a night. With all the trianing that shouldn't be too hard to get to sleep early :-)

I have mixed thoughts on best workout routines. Ipretty much change things around every 3mos or so and change exercises every 4 weeks. My best gains have come from a 4 day split, but that wouldn't fit in good with tri training. I think the 3 day split is good there.

Well, I hope I was a little helpful in this rambling post :-) If you have other specific questions, maybe I could be more helpful.
2003-11-21 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1950

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Ron, that makes sense with light routine coming back from injury. I see where it is hard to get everything in with the tri training. I am considering doing HIIT training 2 times a week with an upper body and lower body day like in BFL. This will help with my strength as well as let me still have a life :-) I haven't decided yet. Gotta get through this half marathon first!

My leg routine is typically:
5 sets squats or leg presses)
3 sets leg extensions
3 sets lying hamstring curls
3 sets db straight leg deadlifts (hamstring)
3 sets standing calf raises
3 sets seated calf raises

a typical back routine is:
3 sets deadlifts (not too heavy though, afraid of injuries)
3 sets lat pulls (front mostly)
3 sets cable rows
3 sets db rows
3 sets front upright rows

So I was imagining doing those two workouts back to back

I agree about the shoulders and chest and that is why a prefer a 4 day split. This year has mostly been lifting for strength and losing fat :-) The 4 day split I like is 1:chest/bis 2:back 3:shoulders/tris 4:legs I switch around when I do bis and tris. By doing tris with shoulders, you get some workout on tris from chest workout and then a full workout with shoulders

Everyone is different and everyone needs to find what works best for them. I tend to try different things a lot because Iget bored. I think you also need to go in phases. You can't be in mass gain mode all the time. You need to give your body a rest.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » new canadian Rss Feed