General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Bear Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lehighton, Pennsylvania
United States
CGI Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 3s
Overall Rank = 79/243
Age Group = M4-44
Age Group Rank = 13/26
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4:30...ate some breakfast at the hotel (Country Inn & Suites). (oatmeal, OJ and an orange). Checked in on my buddy Kevin who had come down with some food borne sickness...so, he was not racing.

Drove to race site at the wonderful Beltsville State Park and set up. Ran into Vince and Ariel from the Y who were racing..
Event warmup:

A little dip in the open water swim...
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

So, best event of the day that felt like the worst..improved over last year by :30...but the wetsuit I was wearing felt constrictive and I was struggling to bi-lateral breath about 400 meters in...just awful...terrible feeling..but I kept going.

All I know is that I must have been really moving at the start because I felt like I lost considerable time once the breathing issues started...
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to get fitted for a proper wetsuit if I'm going to keep rollin' in the chilly water...I'll mark this a 'good' swim only because I beat my time from last year..other than that..it blew...
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Probably my WORST T1 since I started racing...my breathing was so far off from the swim that my heart was racing...so, now I'm struggling in T1..last year I noted that I had a hard time with the wetsuit...well, this year it was just terrible. Not the suit per se but my entire approach...I even had to walk out of transition at one point just to get the heart rate under control...ugh!

well, get a wetsuit that won't try to strangle me for one...and then get my a** in gear...
Bike
  • 1h 09m 4s
  • 18 miles
  • 15.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Unfortunately my time this year was off of last years time by about 2:30..conditioning played a part...was my best ranked event of the day at 71 of 243..I guess for not really riding much this winter/spring this is what I should expect...maybe this was good then...

It's all in the training...
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Ok, so I did beat last years time on T2..thank god for little victories...long run into transition..could have gone faster..

could go faster into transition to pick up a few seconds...leave shoes on bike..that would help...
Run
  • 27m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty sub-par run...last year pulled off a sub 25 minute run...this year the legs were feeling it and my cadence wasn't as quick..I was also feeling the effects of the hilly ride...again, it's all in the training and mine wasn't as strong going in as in years past...worst ranked event at 107..jeesh.

It's all in the training...the run is great here...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around to talk to Nicki who was working the race...and ran into my buddy Vince from the Y who finished a few minutes behind me...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Conditioning and training in winter/spring..more time on bike..get tri focused earlier...

Event comments:

It really is a well run event and a challenging course. I am now looking forward to getting to next year and improving. Sometimes you have to have a tough race to make you appreciate the success you've had in the past. And also not to forget the effort you've put in..I've been racing for 5 years now and it's a lifestyle...I've cut back a bit from a year or two ago due to family and work commitments but I still enjoy the challenge. I'll keep at it...and if I feel like quitting I'll just read this again! (stay on it Phil!!)

Last updated: 2012-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 750 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/26
Overall: 79/243
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Straight with one right turn towards the finish...
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:09:04 | 18 miles | 15.64 mile/hr
Overall: 71/243
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Very hilly...some steep climbs and downhills...and one or two solid technical turns..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:01 | 03.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 107/243
Performance: Below average
Course: Straight out and back along the lake..it's a nice run in the shade..
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-06-04 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Glen Mills, PA
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed