General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand new to triathlon. Any beginner training groups in and around Boston/Somerville? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-12 12:48 PM

Subject: Brand new to triathlon. Any beginner training groups in and around Boston/Somerville?

Hi everyone,

I am BRAND new to this sport! I have completed a bunch of road races over the years, played competitive tennis and have recently been getting into Cross Fit, but never tackled triathlon. I have a friend who competes in local tri-sprints in and around Boston, and after talking to him about it, he suggested I try it out. I am all set and registered for the Title 9 tri-sprint in Hopkinton this September, so there's no going back now...

That being said, I kind of feel like a fish out of water. I just bought a new Trek Lexa road bike, and have been getting acclimated to riding around Somerville and Boston. I'm still a bit awkward on the new bike, and not really confident riding in traffic, so if anyone knows of training groups or participates in any that welcome beginners, that would be great! I would just love to learn from a group of people who know what they are doing and are open to helping a newbie like myself.

Also, any and all beginner tips are more than welcome

Thank you!!

-Lindsey

2012-06-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4257868

User image

Veteran
Charlestown
Subject: RE: Brand new to triathlon. Any beginner training groups in and around Boston/Somerville?

Hi Lindsey!

My triathlon team focuses on helping people just like you get acclimated with the sport!  Check out www.zoommultisport.com and let me know if you have any questions.  It's a great group of

We also offer a program called Tri360 - it's an all-inclusive coaching program if you're looking for a more structured environment while you prepare for Title 9.  It includes a 12 week training program as well as an all-day coaching seminar - so a September race would be great timing for that.  Full details can be found on the site - http://www.zoommultisport.com/coaching/tri-360/.

Good luck in your training and hopefully we'll see you soon!

Rize Above!
Jonathan

2012-06-12 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Brand new to triathlon. Any beginner training groups in and around Boston/Somerville?

Hi Lindsey, there's a lot of resources around MA for triathletes. First, there's a number of area clubs, most of which I'm sure welcome newbies. If you're particularly concerned about your cycling, there's groups such as the Charles River Wheelmen (crw.org) that host a lot of group rides with people from all levels. I'd also suggest that you definitely start getting acclimated to swimming if you don't have a strong background in that. I'd suggest both getting in the pool, as well as heading over to Walden or someplace similar to try out OWS prior to the race.

In addition to this, feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. I live in Malden and work in Boston. I've biked around Somerville as well. I also did Title 9 last year. It was fun, and I'm sure you'll like it too!

-Sarah

2012-06-13 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4257919

Jonathan,

That's great info, thank you so much! I had no idea your team existed haha.

How do people go about joining/training with the team? I assume you guys have a solid group of members, so is there some application process? Or alternately, is there an open workout night where potential members can stop by to see what the team is up to? I would love to learn more and chat with some members. Thanks again!

-Lindsey

2012-06-14 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4260789

User image

Beantown
lindseyjean08 - 2012-06-13 10:45 PM

Jonathan,

That's great info, thank you so much! I had no idea your team existed haha.

How do people go about joining/training with the team? I assume you guys have a solid group of members, so is there some application process? Or alternately, is there an open workout night where potential members can stop by to see what the team is up to? I would love to learn more and chat with some members. Thanks again!

-Lindsey

I'm Lisa -and a member of Zoom Multisport - this morning we met at Walden Pond to swim and it was GREAT - about 10 Zoom members and many other swimmers... I'm sure Jon will email you directly with more info but we dont have an application process so if you are game - meet us next Thursday @ 5:30AM on the beach!!!

2012-06-23 12:43 PM

hey lindsey, i'm in search of a beginner tri group as well... i did do my first one last year but there are a ton of things i can improve on.  zoom looks interesting, i may check them out but let me know what else you find, my searches have returned very limited results in this area so far.

2012-06-23 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA

Wheelworks Multisport triathlon team does a brick workout twice a week before work called Mystic Marauders that bikes from Ace Wheelworks to Upper Mystic for a swim and then back to Somerville. This is a no-drop group, so nice to know that they'd be watching out for you as a newbie. Marauding is open to all, so you do not have to be a Wheelworks team member to train with them, and it serves as a good intro to the team. Lots of Wheelworks folks live in the Boston/Camberville area.

The other one I know of in and around the Boston area (though not quite as many folks densely in So'ville) is Triumph Triathlon. They do some regular swim and biking out of Walden and may still do a regular run in Oak Sq. There will probably be more stuff on their meetup page as the season progresses.

Both Triumph and WWMS have mentor programs, regular workouts and a lot of nice folks to connect with if you are interested in joining a team, but are also happy for the drop-ins on their open training days.

2012-06-29 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4276697

i found the following:

boston triathlon team (these guys seem really hardcore)

wheelworks multisport team

zoom multisport team

so not a huge amount, but considering how small boston is, i think it's pretty impressive there are so many people interested in triathlon!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brand new to triathlon. Any beginner training groups in and around Boston/Somerville? Rss Feed