General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Sunny CA! Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-13 1:26 AM

Subject: Hello from Sunny CA!

Hello everyone!  I am completely new to ALL of this!  I watched my husband complete his first triathlon this past April and I have never been more inspired.  As I was standing at the finish line waiting for him to cross, I saw couples crossing hand in hand so proud of each other, men and women finishing and crying into the arms of friends/family (what I would guess was tears of joy for such an accomplishment, but who knows), mothers and fathers running across the finish line to be greeted by their young children, and when my husband crossed I have couldn't have been more proud.  There has never been a time in my life that I have ever seen anything that actually made me say, I really want to do this.  

Now, here's the catch - I can't swim.  I was on a swim team at a very young age.  The last time I remember swimming was in junior high school.  I don't remember anything bad or traumatic happening, but since around that time I just haven't gone in any water deeper than my chest.  I tried snorkeling in 1997, but got panicky as the pressure of the water enclosed on my chest.  I have decided to start with a few duathlons, but I would like to set a goal of at least completing a half ironman one day.  Hopefully my first sprint will be in late October, that is if I can confidently swim by then.....

I am in the process of looking for a bike right now, deciding between a Felt or Trek.  I welcome and would appreciate any advice (being a woman competing in triathlons, a newbie to the sport, establishing a program, nutrition, etc.).

2012-06-13 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4258915

New user

Torrance, CA
Subject: RE: Hello from Sunny CA!

Welcome to triathlon!!!    It is great that you feel so inspired by your husband.  I hope that you are able to overcome your panic involved with swimming.  I am sure you will!!!

Good luck!

2012-06-13 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4258915

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA
Subject: RE: Hello from Sunny CA!

Welcome to BT and welcome to tri training.

Either brand bike you are looking at is great, just be sure to get one correctly fitted to you.

Be patient with your training. Start slow and easy. Starting out too aggressively will lead to injuries.

Most importantly: Have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello from Sunny CA! Rss Feed