Blue Hills Adventures/Flint Hills Red Cross
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 39s
Overall Rank = 109/114
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Race was scheduled to begin with long course at 7:30 AM and short course at 8:30 AM. A thunderstorm rolled through about 6:45 which delayed setting up the swim course. Therefore the races started at 9:00 and 10:00. I got there around 6:45 and had a lot of waiting to do. Breakfeast was small bagel with peanut butter and some water. I drank a bunch of water this morning and had to pee 4 times before the race started.
Event warmup:

Stretched and got in the water a little but didn't warm-up much. With the changes in race schedule I wasn't sure when to warm-up...and kinda missed my chance. Next race I should warm-up with some run or bike.
Swim
  • 18m 49s
  • 500 yards
  • 03m 46s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

Make sure my goggles are sealed tightly.
Transition 1
  • 05m 15s
Comments:

The distance to from the swim exit and my bike rack was about 200 yards. There was carpet on the sand and asphalt but I didn't feel comfortable running too much. Feet were very sandy and it took more time to clean them with a water bottle. I should have brought something to "dip" in. I spent a few seconds making sure I didn't forget anything since this was my first time. Overall, my T1 was slow...but I can do better.

Bring something to dip feet into.
Bike
  • 40m 17s
  • 9.94 miles
  • 14.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Overall, I think I could have pushed myself a little more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 352m 8s
Comments:

I stretched a little and posed for a picture by Heather. I kind of took my time here and could improve.
Run
  • 35m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

About 1/4 mile into the run...my left calf cramped bad. I walked for about 30 seconds and stretched/massaged it. I basically used a run 8-10 mintes, walk 1 minute pattern. I was really hurting around 1.5 miles but got lots of encouragement, mainly from the long course folks...it keep me going. Overall, felt good about the run.

More bike/run bricks during the training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little...but was too busy visiting with friends and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Goggle problem, poor swimmer, slow transitions

Event comments:

I did it! It feels good...can't wait for my second tri.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-02-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:49 | 500 yards | 03m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/114
Performance: Average
Started the swim and realized my goggles were over my swim cap and were leaking. Everytime I turned my head in the freestyle I would get any eye full of water. Fifty yards in...I could see much of anything, and I began to panic. Switched to breast stroke and back stroke. About 250 yards in...I saw several peple resting at a swim angel. I asked if I stopped to fix my goggles if I would be penalized (I didn't know) and she said no. Fixed my goggles and started freestyle again. Felt pretty good at the end of the swim but was 2nd to last out of the water. I was happy with my swim time though...I knew I'd be slow. Room to improve.
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:17 | 9.94 miles | 14.80 mile/hr
Performance:
Dead Dog Hill was tough for the first mile but I was able to pass two people on the way up (the only two people I saw). Once out on K-13 my pace was between 13-19 MPH. The winds were crosswind on the way out and headwind on the way back.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: From Tuttle Creek State Park up dead dog hill to K-13. Approximately 4 miles out on K-13 to the Carnahan Creek Turn and then back. The course was a steep hill at the begining and then gentle hills and flat the rest of the way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 352:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:35:09 | 03.11 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was flat and ashpalt road all the way. Good course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-04 9:15 PM

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
Subject: Flint Hills Triathlon

2006-06-04 9:41 PM
in reply to: #442851

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: RE: Flint Hills Triathlon
Great job! Good report too.

Were you dressed all in purple, by chance? I knew that "purpleapple" would be there, and assumed that guy in purple was him. . . well, was that you?

This was only my second tri, but I think the competition was tougher this time - more better athletes, I think. I did a pool swim tri about a month ago, and there was a wider variety - I think probably at least a third were first timers there.

Anyway, I was there with my wife and we had a great time too. We were camping not far away, and were able to take our time getting over to the race as we knew it was delayed.

Personally, I'd like to do it all over again next weekend if I could!

Kevin
2006-06-05 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Way to go Bill! So, Salty dog in Hutch is next?

(And yes, I was the mystery person cheering you by name. Congrats TRIATHLETE!
2006-06-05 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Kansas
I was there, but I missed everybody. I was too nervous I guess, until I met a couple other 1st timers.
2006-06-05 4:24 PM
in reply to: #442871

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
No, I wasn't the guy dressed in all purple....but I do remember seeing him. Yeah, I talked to several first timers. I had a lot of fun. The time delays through me a little bit...because I got there and was "ready to go" and then we had to wait so long. I kept thinking "should I warm up now or wait?". I think I've got plenty of room for improvement I'm not sure which tri I'm going to do next. Any suggestions?
2006-06-05 5:02 PM
in reply to: #443858

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
Shepherd...thanks for cheering me on! Every encouragement along the way helped.

2006-06-05 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Bill,

Well, I wish we'd of met you there. My wife and I came down from Lincoln and we had a blast.
She went to school there, as did my big brother and his son, so we love your town. What a great event and a welcoming bunch of people.

The delays threw me too, but since we were camping we were able to work around it pretty well.
2006-06-05 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
Alright - next year we're going to have to have a post-race BT get-together... most definitely!
2006-06-05 9:16 PM
in reply to: #444022

User image

Manhattan, Kansas
Kevin,

I think I saw you...were you wearing a Nebraska Trisuit? And did you finish and then go run with your wife at the finish? I was running behind your wife when a guy wearing a "wisconsin triathlete" trisuit said something like "I knew the guys from Nebraska would show up". Was that you all??

Bill
2006-06-07 4:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Bill,

I thought you were the guy dressed all in purple, and you figured I was in a Husker tri suit. That's pretty funny.

Nope, I was in tri shorts, a white shirt, with sort of blue stripes down the side. Pretty non-descript, except for some great sunglasses I won in my first tri in North Platte Nebraska a month ago (door prize). I did go run with my wife for a few yards, but I got the idea she wanted her race to herself, so I walked back. Didn't want to intrude on her space - if you know what I mean. It wasn't me you saw that time, we only knew one other Nebraska guy, who did the long course.

I was probably riding the oldest bike there, however - a 1980 Trek. But the guy next to me had an old Schwinn, so I guess that didn't stand out either.

Next year - BT get together, for sure. That was a great location. We'll likely be camping again in that great park, so lawn chairs round a fire the night before would do the trick (after pasta at Valentino's).

What is the "Salty Dog" race? I searched and couldn't find it, but others were referencing it. Is that the Topeka Tinman?

Kevin

Edited by KMac40 2006-06-07 4:47 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flint Hills Triathlon Rss Feed