General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about gym Lifecycles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-17 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
Subject: Question about gym Lifecycles
Basically are they accurate? I just joined a gym and after swimming this morning, I got on the cycle to ride a bit. Basically just spinning and trying to keep my rpm's around 90 while keeping my heart rate in the training zone (around 130-135 bpm). I wasn't really paying attention to the readouts, mainly because I was watching TV . When i looked down after 30 min, I had found i had rode over 10 miles.

I've just started training for my first Tri, and have been out on my road bike a few times, averaging pretty close to 16 mph. Since I was going at a pace of over 20 mph, it got me thinking how accurate the bikes were. Note that most of my outdoor rides are on fairly rolling terrain, and the workout I did this morning was a basic spin with no hills or anything. But I can't imagine that this would make a 4 mph difference.

Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks.

2004-06-17 8:20 AM
in reply to: #31907

Ashland, Ma
Subject: RE: Question about gym Lifecycles
I would check first with the gym on the overall accuracy I think partly it is a function of proper maintenance of the equipment.........
direct measure items: cadence and mileage i think could be fairly accurate.............

But I know the handgrip HR monitirs are notoriously inaccurate just last month on a treadmill I was working out and my heart rate was holding at like 120 but I was dying and my blood was pounding so I stopped and did a carotid check and I was up in the 150's perhaps we should all keep in mind hr and perceived effort are valuable tools and usually for me if something seemed to easy its because I didnt do as much as I thought I had done......................

also there have been several topics on adjusting stationary equipment to simulate road conditions: setting the treadmill to 1.5* incline so there may be adjustments for the Lifecycle. I use the lifecycle on indoor days and use HR and time to obtain the desired workout ........I stay in my zone at my desired cadence for the time to satisfy my planned actiivity.........I am only into the the infancy stages of building base miles and yards in all aspects

I have recently purchased a HR monitor as I move more of my sessions outdoors with the good weather...........
2004-06-17 8:38 AM
in reply to: #31907

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Question about gym Lifecycles
The bikes in the gym are fairly accurate but they do not replicate the conditions outdoors. In the gym I can do a regular 15 miles at a 22mph pace with a cadence of 90 to 100. Outdoors there are many more distractions, hills, dogs, traffic, hills, cats, water, hills, stop lines, light etc. Oh – did I mention the hills? My average in traffic etc drops to about 14mph and my cadence is still shot and needs a lot of work when out in the real world.

However – the gym IS better than nothing at all!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about gym Lifecycles Rss Feed