General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rapid Running Buffalo Half Postponed 9 Days Before Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-06-22 8:44 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Rapid Running Buffalo Half Postponed 9 Days Before Race

I'm registered for the Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon, scheduled for June 30.  Did all my training, currently on my taper, and then last night I get the following email:

"

Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon

to be Rescheduled

June 21, 2012 - Rapid Running Event Management announced today that its Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon, scheduled for June 30, has been postponed, and Rapid Running is currently in the process of rescheduling the event.

Rapid Running’s President, David Mason, explained, “The interest in this inaugural race has far exceeded our expectations. Although the need to reschedule this event is unfortunate, our registration numbers are astonishing, and this will allow those numbers to grow even more. We want to create a major signature long-term endurance running event as we grow our sponsors into the event.”

Event coordinators are anticipating a fall running of the Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon. Runners will be able to choose from the Half Marathon, a 5K race and a 1-mile Kids Fun Run, which will include a loop inside the stadium.

Runners and their supporters can expect a festive, spectator-friendly atmosphere during the Half Marathon, with live bands positioned every other mile throughout the course as well as in the post-race area, and a Health & Fitness Expo scheduled prior to the race.

Anyone interested in signing on as a sponsor for this race can get more information by emailing [email protected].

For more information, email us at [email protected]"

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?!?!?!?!

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing happening?

I'm just stunned.

2012-06-22 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4275046

New user

Subject: RE: Rapid Running Buffalo Half Postponed 9 Days Before Race
I have not heard of anything like that, did they offer a refund? What if you could not run on the rescheduled date, you registered when you did because you could make that date.I had a colleague that used to tell me when we were going through the Ph.D. Program that "it's all about the money" .... I guess it really is. Good luck on the rescheduled date.
2012-06-23 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4276206

User image

New user

They're not offering refunds because they're just "postponing" it to an unspecified date, and there's something in the fine print of their contract about that. They're also offering to transfer the entry fee to another one of Rapid Running's races, but I think most people have a bad taste in their mouth about RR now.

Apparently there's a group of people who are going to run it anyway.  They started a Facebook group: Orchard Park "We Got Stiffed" 13.1 Mile Group Run".

https://www.facebook.com/events/469060346455854/

Two Buffalo news stations covered the "situation" last night: 

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/news/buffalo/promoter-suddenly-halts-half-marathon

http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/172342/37/Half-Marathon-Postponed-After-Money-Mixup

All very shady.

Oh well.  I'll just carry on with tri training, and maybe do the Vermont Maple Leaf Half in September.

Edited by feelingroovy 2012-06-23 7:03 AM
2012-06-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4276483

User image

New user

Wow!  Buffalo so rocks!  In a couple of days, they were able to organize a substitute event to make up for Rapid Rip-Off's "postponement".  Just got this email from the Buffalo Sports Commission:

"New Race on June 30: 50 Yard Finish

As you know, the Rapid Running Buffalo Half Marathon was postponed.We are excited to inform you that Visit Buffalo Niagara worked furiously throughout the weekend and we have been able to coordinate a half marathon race this weekend!

Although it will not be at the scale of the postponed event, the half marathon will race though Orchard Park and all race participants will end the half marathon crossing the 50 yard line at Ralph Wilson Stadium. We are calling this event the “50 Yard Finish.”

As a registered participant in the Rapid Running event, you are invited to participate in the” 50 Yard Finish Half Marathon” at no charge. Please let us know whether or not you plan to participate by registering at http://www.50YardFinish.com (You need to bring proof of your payment to Rapid Running with you to our race to waive your registration fee.)

This web page will be updated all week and will provide you with the latest news and information about this weekend’s race.

The “50 Yard Finish” is sponsored by Visit Buffalo Niagara and the Buffalo Niagara Sports Commission with support from the Buffalo Bills, and the Town of Orchard Park. Other sponsors will be announced daily.

Here are the details:

The “50 Yard Finish Half Marathon” will be held on Saturday, June 30

7:00 a.m. Race start

Ralph Wilson Stadium

1 Bills Drive

Orchard Park, NY 14127

Registration and packet pick up is Friday, June 29 from 4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. and 5:30 a.m. – 6:30 a.m. on race day at the Healthy Zone Fieldhouse at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Race Categories:

½ Marathon $50

Adult 5K $20

Kids Fun Run $8

Registration cost is waived for registered Rapid Running runners (please bring proof of payment).

Post-race light refreshments will be served. (There is no beer tent but there are several watering holes in and around the stadium.)

In order for us to properly plan, we will need to know whether or not you plan to race, so please indicate that by filling out the registration form found here.

Thank you!"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rapid Running Buffalo Half Postponed 9 Days Before Race Rss Feed