General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Derailleur Cable Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-06 9:41 AM

Subject: Rear Derailleur Cable

I'm not sure if this makes sense or not, but here's the best I can describe it. 

This morning I noticed that the cable running to the rear derailleur was rubbing against my rear tire.  I have a Cervelo P1 with Ultegra components if that matters. I followed the cable and notice underneath the crank about 2 inches before the cable goes into the tube is a little plastic eyelet that looks like the cable should run through it. The cable does not run through it though.  At first I thought it somehow fell out.  However, the eyelet is solid (I removed it and looked at it closely to see if it had cracked or something) and the only way for the cable to go in and out is by threading the needle, so to speak.  This makes me think that it was never threaded through and always out of the eye.  (Of course the fact that it hasn't rubbed before makes me think the problem is relatively new).

My question is this: How important is this eyelet? After I took it off the cable moved over and no longer rubs the tire. I can take it into a shop, but that puts the bike out of commission for like 4 days and I’m supposed to ride 50 tomorrow.

Should I scrap the ride tomorrow and take it in or just leave it be and keep riding?

I don't have a road bike anymore so this is basically it as far as bikes go.

Hopefully this all makes sense.  Thanks.

2012-07-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4297039

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rear Derailleur Cable
needs pics as i am not totally sure what you are describing. Does this eylet go through the frame? Is it going through a plastic piece mounted to frame?
2012-07-06 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

Why not just fix it yourself real quick?

Take the end cap of the cable, thread the cable through the eye-thingy, out new cap on cable and adjust deraileur.

This way you fix the routing of cable and get the derailer adjsutet at the same time.

Overall this should take you max one hour. There is tons of info on adjsuting the rear deraileur, it is actually not that difficult!

2012-07-06 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4297054

pics could present a problem.  It's plastic and was screwed in underneath the crank.  
2012-07-06 9:55 AM
in reply to: #4297061

timf79 - 2012-07-06 9:49 AM

Why not just fix it yourself real quick?

Take the end cap of the cable, thread the cable through the eye-thingy, out new cap on cable and adjust deraileur.

This way you fix the routing of cable and get the derailer adjsutet at the same time.

Overall this should take you max one hour. There is tons of info on adjsuting the rear deraileur, it is actually not that difficult!

I thought about fixing it myself, but I'm not much of a wrench.  I've made adjustments on my rear and front derrailleur before, but never really messed with the cables.  Maybe I'll look around on the web.  

Thanks.

2012-07-06 9:59 AM

Veteran

so the wire is not going through the channel of the plastic thingy-ma-bob that is screwed to bottom of bottom bracket.

I have seen two different kinds underneath and maybe some bike wrneches can chime in but some have 1 channel and some have two. In addition after they run through the cahnnel of the plastic thingy it may direct cable to a hole in frame.

IMO it is usually obvious if it should run through there or not. I would just go get a new cable from your LBS ($4-7) and run a new cable. You can try with current one but end mat fray after you remove endcap.

A RD is very easy to adjust. The FD is a little more challenging.

2012-07-06 10:08 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4297094

I bought the bike new about 1 1/2 years ago.  I've never had any issues with it until today.  
2012-07-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4297087

psycleridr - 2012-07-06 9:59 AM

so the wire is not going through the channel of the plastic thingy-ma-bob that is screwed to bottom of bottom bracket.

I have seen two different kinds underneath and maybe some bike wrneches can chime in but some have 1 channel and some have two. In addition after they run through the cahnnel of the plastic thingy it may direct cable to a hole in frame.

Mine has 2.  The other cable is properly in the channel of the plastic thingy-ma-bob that is screwed to the bottom of the bottom bracket.

2012-07-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4297104

Edited by wgraves7582 2012-07-06 10:24 AM
2012-07-06 10:26 AM

Veteran
Since one of your cable is properly routed and the other is touching your rear wheel are you sure that the thingy-ma-bob is not broken or worn out? Strange to have aproblem 1 1/2 years later. Maybe it was in the channel and eventually wore the plastic piece out in which case you made need a new thingy-ma-bob (anyone can feel free to stepp in and name the piece correctly Laughing 

2012-07-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4297139

psycleridr - 2012-07-06 10:26 AM Since one of your cable is properly routed and the other is touching your rear wheel are you sure that the thingy-ma-bob is not broken or worn out? Strange to have aproblem 1 1/2 years later. Maybe it was in the channel and eventually wore the plastic piece out in which case you made need a new thingy-ma-bob (anyone can feel free to stepp in and name the piece correctly Laughing 

Fairly certain.  I removed the thingy-ma-bob and inspected it.  I was hoping that I could find where it popped out, slide the cable back in, but I could not find a point of failure.

2012-07-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4297162

2012-07-06 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4297185

There are 2 channels but you only have 1 wire running under the BB correct?

If you want an easy fix just take a straight blade to the longer channel and cut it open wide enough to run your cable back through there.  If you ever take it in for new cables explain to them that you need a new cable guide on your BB and they will replace it for you.  My LBS just gave me one for a new build I did - they have them just lying around generally.

I have 2 cables and 2 cable guides.  One guide and cable are fine.  The cable to the rear derailleur is not through the BB cable guide.

I was considering cutting it and running the cable through the new opening.  I wouldn't think a whole lot would happen that would cause the cable to move so much that it would pop back out.  I may go this route.

2012-07-06 11:25 AM

Master
Grand Prairie

How old are your cables anyhow?

Keep in mind they should be replaced on a regular basis (cable and housing).

If you plan on repacing them at the end of the season, maybe you just fix it temporarly with some cable ties (to prevent it from touching the rear wheel?

2012-07-06 11:37 AM

Orlando, FL
Mizzou03 - 2012-07-06 10:41 AM

I'm not sure if this makes sense or not, but here's the best I can describe it. 

This morning I noticed that the cable running to the rear derailleur was rubbing against my rear tire.  I have a Cervelo P1 with Ultegra components if that matters. I followed the cable and notice underneath the crank about 2 inches before the cable goes into the tube is a little plastic eyelet that looks like the cable should run through it. The cable does not run through it though.  At first I thought it somehow fell out.  However, the eyelet is solid (I removed it and looked at it closely to see if it had cracked or something) and the only way for the cable to go in and out is by threading the needle, so to speak.  This makes me think that it was never threaded through and always out of the eye.  (Of course the fact that it hasn't rubbed before makes me think the problem is relatively new).

My question is this: How important is this eyelet? After I took it off the cable moved over and no longer rubs the tire. I can take it into a shop, but that puts the bike out of commission for like 4 days and I’m supposed to ride 50 tomorrow.

Should I scrap the ride tomorrow and take it in or just leave it be and keep riding?

I don't have a road bike anymore so this is basically it as far as bikes go.

Hopefully this all makes sense.  Thanks.

I have the same setup on my P1.  I would not cut it.  I would shift the bike into the smallest cog on the rear, spin your barrel adjuster all the way to the right and then back off 1-2 turns, remove the cable cap, undo the allen bolt holding the cable, rethread the cable, and tighten the allen bolt down.  Adjust the barrel  1/2 turn at a time until  it shifts smoothly.   (If everything is shifting smooth now, you could probably get away without messing with the barrel adjuster and just lining the cable back up to the same position in the allen bolt)  15-20 minutes and it is done properly.  That piece is plastic.  If you cut it, it will more than likely eventually break.  There is a good possibility that it will break when you try to cut it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rear Derailleur Cable Rss Feed