General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me decide on a new wheelset Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-11 7:46 AM

Subject: Help me decide on a new wheelset

I've narrowed my search down to Williams and Boyd wheels based on pricing/percieved value.  Based on my weight, 185lbs, I was informed that I could handle 85mm wheels front and back.  They would go on my new Cervelo P2. 

1. Williams or Boyd?  Which is best?  Pretty much the same?

2. 85mm front and back or go with a 58mm front, 85mm rear?

2012-07-11 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4305248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Help me decide on a new wheelset

I went with Boyd, pretty much because they're also on the East Coast.  I've heard rumor that the carbon rims come from the same factory in Asia, so it comes down to their builders.  Haven't heard anything bad about either company.

I have about 500 miles on my set, an 85/58 combo.  Cross winds sometimes push me around a little, but I've adjusted.

The wheels also just proved their mettle at Providence HIM on Sunday, the last 5 miles of the bike course is notoriously bad.  Had a couple big hits, but inspections afterward showed no visible damage. 

The one complaint/concern, and this is common to both wheels, is that carbon braking surfaces pretty much suck.  It's another thing you can adjust to, but you really need to mash on the brakes with these wheels to stop quickly.

The wheel build quality so far has been outstanding.  Wheels showed up true, and I haven't had to do anything to them.

2012-07-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4305248

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Help me decide on a new wheelset

I have a set of Williams 30 aluminum clinchers. I bought them before I had a better understanding of wheel design. I would have been better off with Shimano Ultegra since my Shimano WH-560 have better speed than the Williams wheels despite weighing 1/2 pound more, having a shorter profile, and using loose ball bearings. I've been able to maintain the Shimano wheels, but am a little apprehensive of replacing sealed bearings for the first time. 

One other thing. Check the manufacturer's weight limit to see if you need a clydesdale build.

Edited by Six000MileYear 2012-07-11 9:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me decide on a new wheelset Rss Feed