General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-07-30 5:59 AM
in reply to: CTDon

User image

Subject: RE: Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group
I've been training about 65 miles/week on the bike, 8 run, and 2-3 days swim (1,000-1,500 yards) in recent weeks. This doesn't include the 2 recent Sprints and the ones planned. I take it easy two days before and one day after each event. I have a Sprint this Thursday, a min-trail sprint next Tuesday, and an Olympic the following Saturday.

I've continued to loose weight, mainly by eating clean foods. I'm down 26 pounds in the last 3 months and now weighing in at 202. I can tell you that carrying around 26 pounds less weight makes the tri experience more enjoyable. It's still not easy!

2013-07-30 9:35 AM
in reply to: Jump4Joy

User image

Nice job jump4joy on the weight loss and all the training! You've got a nice full upcoming schedule to keep you busy!!
2013-07-30 1:02 PM

New user
Nice to see some action on this board.

Unfortunately I DNF'ed at Lake Placid, but overall I am pretty satisfied and it was a positive experience.

The swim went really well, I wanted clean water so I was the last person to enter the water and I went wide, I unintentionally slowly moved closer to the line and it got pretty jammed up at the turn around, even though I went wide, the swim back on the first loop was really congested and a ton of faster swimmers were lapping us, I got banged around pretty good and was worried that I was super slow/going to miss cut-off, got out of the water to see that I had done the first lap in ~50 minutes, so I was super happy about that (10 minutes per lap faster than the last time I did the distance in the pool). Lap 2 was great, nice and calm and had my own water most of the time, I tried to stay on the wire and it was busy and people kept stopping etc. so I just went wide again, finished the swim in just under 1:40, more than 20 minutes faster than I had done the distance in the pool.

I know some of the additional speed is from having a wetsuit and some is from not having to turn around at walls, but I can't help but think maybe I should have tried to taken it easier and left more gas in the tank for the rest of the race.

T1 was ~12 minutes, which is fine, I walked up to transition, some people were sprinting by me, which I can't imagine is smart... took my time and mentally prepared for the bike.

Bike: wow, LP is hard, there isn't a ton of hills around me, so I just plain wasn't ready for it, everyone talks about the bears, but that first hill is INTENSE. Descent into Keene is the most fun I have ever had on a bike, the rollers killed me and by the 50k mark I knew I was going to be in trouble for the cut-offs. By 70k I had taken a couple of breaks and was pretty sure I was going to miss the lap 1 time. I thought about mailing it in at one of the aid stations but instead I took a couple minutes, drank another bottle of water and said to myself, I don't care if I miss the cut-off I am NOT getting sagged back into town, I'm going to give it everything I have until they tell me I can't bike anymore.

I attacked the bears, to be honest they weren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. the only reason I could distinguish the first two bears from the rest of the rollers was because there was chalk on it. Papa bear was noticeably steeper, but the crowd was awesome, very cool experience, I was worried I would have to walk it, but I made it up! Hammered into town and missed the cut-off by 3 minutes, I was actually pretty surprised because I thought I would have missed it by a lot more. Even if I had made it, I would have had to do lap 2 an hour faster than the first lap, but it was disappointing to be so close.

So at the end of the day I did a 3.8km swim and a 90k bike, a long way from an IM but a good training day. I learned my lesson about how much further I have to go, but it was a great experience to be part of everything. I am hoping to do a local event this season so I can finish a race. It will be a couple of years before I give it another shot, but I know I will be back. My GF (sorry fiance as of this weekend, another reason why I can't complain about the weekend!) has already told me that it was amazing to see the spectacle of the IM and asked me when I wanted to sign up for the next one and that she wants to do some of the training with me and be more supportive.
2013-07-30 1:42 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Kent you did a great job. Better than the 2 I signed up for. DNS both times 1 due to injury and the 2nd one well my heart just was not in it. lost my job and just was noit interested in training and racing.

I am sure you will do it someday just like I am sure I will.
2013-07-30 7:40 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Today was adventure kayaking, unplanned!! After a little paddling around with LJ he decided he was worn out and wanted to play on shore. James and I paddled across to survey the rapids below this pool. Big channel on the left, medium channel in the middle, and small channel went down on the right. I told James that the right way to do this was to beach above the rapids and then walk down the shore surveying them and choosing our line. But we both agreed we weren't going down them today.

There was a nice calm section right at the head of the big island to the right of the main channel and that was where I wanted to go. I was making for it, and having to paddle like crazy because we had drifted a little too close. Then suddenly James cut across my bow. I had to back paddle to avoid hitting him and that stole all my momentum. Next thing I know I'm headed for the main channel, BACKWARDS!! I managed to get myself turned almost around, and then hit a rock broadside. Into the drink I went.

New rule #1 when I capsize a kayak, hold on to the paddle!! Instead I was trying to roll the boat back over, but the current was WAY too strong. I lost the boat now too. Okay, let the pfd hold me up, get my feet pointed downstream, and just go with the flow. Meanwhile I shouted to James to get my paddle first and then catch the boat. By the time I got to the bottom of the rapids James had my paddle. Don't ask me why, but he decided to throw it up on shore. Me? I'd have taken it apart and kept it in my kayak while I chased the other one. But not him!

So anyway, I'm swimming downstream after him, for a LONG time! Well, by the time he finally caught my kayak I was close enough to shout out to him to attach the tow rope to my kayak and pull it to shore. He finally got it to shore and I finally caught up to him. We were just at the bottom of what is called Race Track Island. Google Earth says that is about 1 mile below the top of the rapids. So I swam about ¾ of a mile downstream, with the current. The shore here was pure muck! I couldn't even walk out of the water because I was sinking halfway up my shin in this muck. LOL, even James sank in this muck. He lost his flip-flop and had to dig down to get it back. My river shoes came off too, but my shoes floated to the surface. So I had to use a technique we learned last summer in a kayaking trip/class. We dragged my boat across the bow of James' boat and rocked it back and forth to empty most of the water. Time to get back in the boat and head upstream.

Remember when I told you that James left my paddle on shore up near the bottom of the rapids? Well, now he had to tow me and my kayak back upstream. He wasn't making a whole lot of progress, the current was surprisingly strong. About halfway to the paddle I told him to leave me at a dead hang, paddle solo up to get my paddle, and then return to bring it to me. Meanwhile I sat there and marveled at the quiet calm of this wild setting. At one point I saw seven ducklings, so I determined to sit very still. Then swam right around my kayak, feeding and talking to each other. There were two so close that I could have petted them. Then the moment was lost when I had to cough. I was starting to wonder if James couldn't find the paddle when I finally saw him returning. We started to paddle back, against a current that was getting progressively stronger.

We were still half a mile from the top of the rapids when we had to abandon paddling and start walking, towing the kayaks behind us. I was wearing river sandals, but poor James was only wearing flip-flops. It was torturous for me. I can't imagine how he felt. We both slipped and fell several times, but we eventually got to the top of the rapids and that calm pool I was aiming for before James cut me off. From there it was real easy paddling back to the Montoursville boat launch. We were still a couple of hundred yards from the ramp when Candice declared that we were BOTH dog food! It seems this impromptu adventure took up over 2 ½ hours, and neither of us had a cell phone to call and tell her we were okay.
2013-07-30 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
kent, great effort bro. We're proud of you! Even making the effort is superb, and I think LP might be one of the more difficult IM's on the basis of terrain. I grew up in the Capitol District, so I know what that's like up there.

2013-07-31 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Rest day! My calves are so sore from that river walk yesterday that I can barely walk today. Doing my 3.7 miles would truly be counter-productive.
2013-07-31 6:27 PM
in reply to: merkin4

Originally posted by merkin4

My A race for the year is the Spudman, an Olympic distance held in southern Idaho on July 27th. Between the time off work, the visit home to where I grew up, and training so as not to DNF, life has been crazy.

Just to report in - I feel like I freaking NAILED the Olympic. My goal was to finish in under 4 hours, came it at 3:18.

Swim was current-aided. I settled into regular swim for 20 rounds of seven strokes, then 20 strokes backstroke. Made progress much faster than I thought I would, out of the water in about 24 minutes.

Bike is my best sport. Since the Clydes start last, the entire bike course was full of people for me to pass. I ride a great big heavy Trek Navigator 2.0, and there is nothing (in sports) quite as fun as blowing past somebody on a carbon-fiber bike riding in aero position. I may have to get one of those helmet cameras just so I can replay the looks on the faces of some people.

In training, I got up to a 7-mile run only stopping for water and traffic. For the race, I felt like 9/1 intervals sounded like a great idea - run 9 minutes, walk and drink 1 minute. Mom and Dad drove and placed themselves at three points for the bike, plus a spot on the run and again at the finish line.

Mom beat breast cancer. I beat the Olympic distance. She had the harder battle, but I'm glad she was there to see the results of 140 pounds weight loss and a boatload of training.

My next Olympic distance race is August 24th. I got this.
2013-08-01 10:46 AM
in reply to: merkin4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Woo-hoo merkin!! Fantastic race! You did wonderful. I only passed ONE person one my initial sprint tri last year, but I have to agree with you. It is a wonderful feeling. I can't wait to hear your report on the August race.
2013-08-01 2:55 PM

New user
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Woo-hoo merkin!! Fantastic race! You did wonderful. I only passed ONE person one my initial sprint tri last year, but I have to agree with you. It is a wonderful feeling. I can't wait to hear your report on the August race.

x2 great race!!!

at LP I only passed people on the Keene descent, and they all passed me back...
2013-08-04 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4815312

Congrats on a great race merkin! Can't wait to hear about your next race too.

This week is race week, so light workouts for me. Feeling confident about the sprint, but just wishing my back would have let me do the run portion of the olympic distance. After this week, I'm going to focus on strengthening my back and biking since I signed up for a grand fondo in September.

2013-08-06 8:07 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

New user
good luck on your race DB.

Got a couple of bike workouts in this weekend, my computer stopped working though, so that was very frustrating. Did about 25k on Saturday and 35k on Sunday.

I also broke 225 for the first time in a while! If I break 220 (hopefully can do it sometime this summer), I hope you guys will keep me around as an honorary member!
2013-08-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: kent2233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by kent2233 If I break 220 (hopefully can do it sometime this summer), I hope you guys will keep me around as an honorary member!

Of course we will. Once a Clydesdale, always a Clydesdale. Skinny people can't relate to us, but one of us who has lost weight will always understand what we are saying.
2013-08-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Finally was able to walk without hurting the bruises on my feet from the kayaking fiasco last week. Got out and did my 3.7 mile walk in a leisurely 70 minutes minutes.

ETA: Lesson learned, I need shoes with thicker, sturdier soles for walking extended distances in a rock bottomed river.

Edited by leatherneckpa 2013-08-06 10:18 AM
2013-08-06 3:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
7 weeks after the surgery, and STILL no physical therapy! I even told him about the kayaking, motorcycling, and carrying baskets of laundry upstairs. Short amounts of paddling on FLAT waters is acceptable. Riding motorcycles for 30 minutes or less is probably okay. Carrying laundry baskets is accepted as long as there is no pain. None of it was approved of, it was simply accepted or tolerated.

Next appt in 4 weeks, and we MIGHT discuss therapy then. But probably not. Most likely that won't happen until October.

Good news is that I am now permitted to ride my hybrid bicycle, flat roads only, no hills. And ABSOLUTELY NO SWIMMING!
2013-08-07 10:51 AM

Regular
Conejo Valley
Longtime Clyde, did 3 sprints and 2 Olys but took a break over the past two years given schedules and some nagging injuries. Found my way back to this site recently and it has reenergized me to go for a sprint in October. The stories are inspiring, and although I've gained some of my weight back, I know what I need to do to get it done. Was at 302 five years ago, got down to 220 doing the races. Was back up to 270 and have gotten it back under 260 now and am building my base to be able to comfortably do the sprint. Tempted to try the Oly but know better than to rush it too much. Keep those stories coming...they help!!

2013-08-10 2:50 PM
in reply to: bmmac

First triathlon was this morning (sprint). I am HOOKED!!! What a blast. Overall I thought I had a good race. I finished in 1:37:15, which was 6th in my age group (no Clydes for the sprint), out of 11. My swim and bike times were 3rd for my AG...and then there was my run...10th in AG. Because of my back, I haven't been able to run much at all, so my run time was pretty bad, and I expected that. In fact, if it wasn't for my horrible run, I may have even placed. But enough with the coulda-shoulda-woulda's, it's history. I'm just going to post my race report here because I'm tired and don't feel like starting another post.

The Swim (500yd) - 00:13.03
I had pre-race jitters, especially since this was my first race ever. I lined up a few people back so they wouldn't have to pass me right away. The horn went off, I shot off like a 285lb bullet and the guys in front of me got to the water and walked in. There was no stopping or slowing down at this point. I parted them like Moses did the Red Sea and blew past them and off I went. I was expecting to get kicked and hit, but actually I had quite a bit of room now that I was in front. There was some poor planning on the race directors' parts in that the Olympic distance swimmers had to cross the sprint swim course to get back. That caused several run-ins as well as mass confusion. Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful swim. I did my thing, got a good rhythm going and it was over before I knew it. Coming out, I was still running on adrenaline and as I ran out, I got caught up in people just walking like they were out site-seeing.

T1 - 00:02:26
Fairly uneventful as well. Found my bike pretty easily, got my shirt on, sat down put my socks and shoes on, sunglasses, helmet, bike and gone.

Bike (13ish miles) 00:45:23
Mounted, and voila! my cleats clipped in instantly without even having to try. Ride started through downtown, and then off along the lake. I took the big hill a little easier than I usually do and spun up it in the little chain ring. I hit it harder on the way back. I was getting a little frustrated by an older gentleman on his really nice tri bike who would pass me, and then slow down in front of me, so then I'd pass him, then at the next incline, he'd pass me again. We did this most of the ride until he turned off for the rest of the olympic course. My wife and kids were out on the bike course cheering me on and ringing the cowbell, and it made my day to see my little girl's face light up when she saw me.

The ride was an out and back and at the turn-around point, I looked down to grab my water bottle and noticed that I had my shirt on backwards (please god, don't let my picture be in the paper tomorrow). Nothing I could do about it now, so I just kept going. Another surge of adrenaline hit me when I got back downtown and I was cruising (for me) back to T2.

T2 - 00:01:19
Found my rack, went down to my transition area and the guy next to me decided that rather than rack his bike he was just going to lay it on the ground right in front of my transition area. so I had to lift my bike over his and rack it, duck under the rack so I could get to my stuff, which somebody had already kicked over there, but still, and inconvenience. I let out a few swear words of disapproval. Bike shoes off, running shoes on, helmet off, hat on, and off I went. Luckily somebody reminded me that I had my shirt on backwards, so I took it off and flipped it around on the run.

Run (5K) 00:35:04
The adrenaline really carried me through the first 300 yards or so, but it didn't take long before that was over and I was at my snail pace. it really didn't seem like it took 35 minutes, but I knew it wasn't going to be good. Uneventful run, minus all of the people who passed me like I was standing still. When I got close to the finish line I heard somebody say "Hey, his shirt is on the right way now!"

Overall, I felt it was a good first race. I thought the crowd was great and very encouraging, as well as the volunteers who I thanked, every time I could. I will definitely be working on strengthening my back and running this off-season. Next year I will place in my age group!
2013-08-10 4:02 PM

User image

Awesome Job DBGlobal!!! Congrats, triathlete!
2013-08-11 7:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
DBG Fantastic race report brother. I found myself increasing reading speed as the read went on.

Listen, go to the race photog's website and download that bike photo. You will be able to laugh about that backwards shirt for years to come. I found that, for my first race, paying for the photos was a little pricey to be sure, but worth it. My poor wife didn't get many good photos.

So glad your family was there to support you. Sure, your little girl is just smiling and cheering now, but in a few years she'll be begging you for entry fees. Good on ya mate. Next up, an Oly?
2013-08-11 7:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Aa-a-argh! They are KILLING me! There is a bicycle race streaming past my house for the last 10 minutes.

EDIT: Wrong! It's an actual triathlon, a sprint distance called The Lumberjack Triathlon. Guess what race just went on my 2014 calendar!

Edited by leatherneckpa 2013-08-11 7:32 AM
2013-08-12 10:21 PM
in reply to: #4306637

No Oly for me this year, my back just isn't ready to run that far. Hopefully next year. Now I am switching my focus to biking. Gotta a grand fondo at the end of September. Going to attempt 108 miles, and I'm trying to finish it in less than 6.5 hours so I can get a medal. I got some biking to do.

2013-08-13 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
WOW! That's a 16.6 mph avg. I will be following your progress with great interest. I had only ever hit 15 mph once last year. But then again, I'm a good bit heavier than you too, by about 75 pounds.
2013-08-13 8:41 AM

Regular
Congrats on a really solid race! Good luck on the ride. Believe me when I say there is a "bliss point" in riding once you have put in the work. I did a 90 miler last year and it was a blast!

I have my first tri since June 2011 due to injuries on 8/24. Can't wait to see what happens.
2013-08-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: gbswan

User image

gbswan, I also have my first sprint tri in two years coming up (mine is this Sunday). I did a 'backyard' one in my pool and through my neighborhood a few weeks ago...but this is the first 'real' one. Unfortunately I've been focusing on running as I am in the midst of training for a HM (so runs need to take precedence) and later decided to sign up for the race.

Oh well, I still just aim to have fun and tri my best. In my first race I blew an inner tube about a mile from the finish and it took me awhile to get it back together as I had only changed one twice before...so barring any unforseen circumstances I should set a PR lol.

Got a swim on tap for tonight and a brick tomorrow AM.

Originally posted by gbswan I have my first tri since June 2011 due to injuries on 8/24. Can't wait to see what happens.
2013-08-14 3:47 PM

Regular
CTDon. Have fun man! I am so thankful to be getting back at it. Last May I was working my daughters' swim meet and walked into the end of the metal bleachers gashing both shins badly...still have scars. I was told not to swim all summer. Instead, I put in a ton of miles on the bike and came to love it.

I hope both of ours are the first step toward many future events.

Did I read half marathon? Good job! I am a long way from there.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Athena/ Clydesdale Official Mentor Group Rss Feed  

of 45