General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keep getting sick/hurt; how do I keep motivated? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-18 1:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine, California
Subject: Keep getting sick/hurt; how do I keep motivated?

I started training for triathlons in February, when I bought my first bike.  I also purchased my first pair of minimalist running shoes, which after my first two runs, hurt my foot, and I had to take 2 months off running.  During this time, I focused on biking and swimming, and went back to my Brooks Adrenaline's.  In May, when I started running again, I got the flu for a week, and soon after competed in my first Sprint triathlon.  Soon after, I got better, and continued my full training for a couple weeks before I got an eye infection which lasted two weeks, and had to take a break in my training.  Well I get better, train again for a full week, and get what I could only imagine was slight valley fever (I say imagine because I had absolutely no time to go to the doctor, but my roommate, a nurse, was pretty sure).  A week after this happened, I went home to Chicago and did the Lake Zurich Olympic Triathlon.  Rested a week, and then ran 3 miles, and now my freaking knee is tight and swollen, 1 1/2 weeks before my first 1/2 marathon in San Francisco!  It just seems no matter how much rest I get, something new comes along and makes me stop. 

I guess my question is how am I supposed to keep motivated when I keep having these things stop my progress?  I love reading triathlon/S/B/R books for motivation, but at this point I don't even want to read them because I feel like I can't put any of what I read into practice because when I get better I feel like something else will come along.  So how do you guys keep motivated and focused when you get hurt or sick? 

2012-07-18 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4318311

User image

Regular
Ponchatoula
Subject: RE: Keep getting sick/hurt; how do I keep motivated?

I read a book by Mark Allen, 6 time Triathlon World Champion, titled Fit Soul Fit Body or something like that. Anyway, he had the same problem being sick and injured all the time. He fixed it by slowing down and staying in aerobic respiration. Constantly taxing your adrenals, when you go anaerobic, suppresses immunity and healing (at least that's what I came away understanding). Anyway it's a good read and might help.

Good Luck! 

2012-07-18 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
Madison
If you're training too hard or excessively, slow down. Especially coming back from any sort of sickness or injury. Also, what is your diet like? Some of your well-being can be steadied by a quality diet. Not saying it's going to work or fix things. But you'll give yourself the best fighting chance by eating right, going easy as you come back in, and getting quality rest at night.
2012-07-18 3:55 PM

Master
, California

Adding to what the others said, one of the best things about triathlon is you have more options.  Focus on what you CAN do and try to stay positive.

I'm coming back from health issues myself right now.  I've had to rest a lot more, and slow down a lot when I do anything.  But I have a swim + video session scheduled with a coach coming up.  It's something that won't take a lot of physical effort but will likely improve my speed in the water.

Try to think along those lines and you'll get back to full speed soon enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Keep getting sick/hurt; how do I keep motivated? Rss Feed