General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Swim/ Ride near Wilmington NC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-21 1:08 PM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Subject: Places to Swim/ Ride near Wilmington NC?

I am going to be in my final peak week pre-taper for Ironman Louisville the weekend we are at the beach (Kure Beach, NC - near Wilmington.)  I rode around the island last summer but it is deadpan flat.  I'm looking for somewhere I can do some hills.  Also looking for either a place I can master swim as a guest or do some lap swimming.  Thanks!

Gretchen

2012-07-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4323349

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Places to Swim/ Ride near Wilmington NC?
Several group swims (open water) at Wrightsville Beach, if not check out the Wilmington Y.  If looking for a little less crowded you can venture down into Brunswick County and go the Brunswick County Community College fitness center (Dinah Gore Fitness) and about 20 minutes away.  As far as hills around here, good luck, your best best would be the bridges for a little hill work.  Other than that Rt. 421 is a pretty good place to get a long ride in heading out of Wilmington.  Go to www.setupevents.com and look at the B2B page for the bike course for the full.  No hills but the heat and headwinds will give you a good workout.  I have found the headwinds here are more of a workout for me than the hills were in Maryland.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to Swim/ Ride near Wilmington NC? Rss Feed