General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman in Huntsville or Storm the Fort in Kingston?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-07-23 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
Subject: Rocketman in Huntsville or Storm the Fort in Kingston??

Who has done either, or knows anyone that has? i read the race reports from Storm the Fort from last year. It was the first year and they all said the swim was way short. two said the bike was short. one guy said all three were short. That's been my experience in the past with Race Day Events. Rocketman looks to be flat and fast. However I just got married and my wife's side of the family always has a big family reunion on the last Sunday of August, same day as Rocketman. STF is on Saturday.

Rocketman was supposed to be my A race. I really don't want us to miss out on the family tradition but I really don't want to train the next four weeks for an A race that will likely not be the correct distance. Same reason I won't do Fall Creek Falls again. This is the only weekend that works timing wise for me to race. I have Nashvegas after that and Leadman after that.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2012-07-23 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4325087

Subject: RE: Rocketman in Huntsville or Storm the Fort in Kingston??
I haven't done either that you are asking about, but what is wrong with Fall Creek Falls?  I heard last year's was cancelled due to weather.  Have you done it in prior years?  I read the description - just find it hard to believe the bike course would be "flat to rolling" in that area.  I would have expected some decent hills.
2012-07-23 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4325145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty

jkintn - 2012-07-23 8:54 AM I haven't done either that you are asking about, but what is wrong with Fall Creek Falls?  I heard last year's was cancelled due to weather.  Have you done it in prior years?  I read the description - just find it hard to believe the bike course would be "flat to rolling" in that area.  I would have expected some decent hills.

I did FCF two years ago. My second Oly ever, in my first year ever. I swam a 19:3? or something like that. no speed suit, no current. the swim was way short. my best swim at the correct distance was 22 and change in a wetsuit. The bike was actually rolling as advertised. I was very new to cycling then and I don't remember any big climbs. the run came in at about 5.9. I did a 2:22 but I've never counted it because it was so short. I've heard the same synopis from several others that have done RDE races.

2012-07-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4325163

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Chris, I've never heard of STF, but you really do need to put your new family first that weekend.  So the question is probably more along the lines of do you race STF with concerns about the course accuracy or do you not race that weekend at all?

2012-07-23 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4325342

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty
JeffY - 2012-07-23 10:04 AM

Chris, I've never heard of STF, but you really do need to put your new family first that weekend.  So the question is probably more along the lines of do you race STF with concerns about the course accuracy or do you not race that weekend at all?

yeah that is what i thought after i posted. Kayla already said it's no big deal but we went last year so we should definitely go our first year being married. Good seeing you yesterday. Thanks again for volunteering!

2012-07-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4325531

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

You are most definitely welcome. 

Kayla sounds like she's very generous with your triathlon career, so that will make it all the more important that you are the one to pull it back for her sake.    I know you don't need to be told that, but if you are like any other human you will need to be reminded from time to time over the years.. 

2012-07-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4325087

User image

Veteran
Knoxville

I did Storm the Fort last year. The bike and the run was accurate. Whoever said the bike and run wasn't accurate is wrong. Realistically, it is unlikely that any course you do will be 100% accurate, particularly in the swim. I liked the race and will probably do it again this year. I don't know anything about rocketman so I can't compare.

J

2012-07-24 1:55 AM
in reply to: #4325163

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
CRunner10 - 2012-07-23 10:02 AM

jkintn - 2012-07-23 8:54 AM I haven't done either that you are asking about, but what is wrong with Fall Creek Falls?  I heard last year's was cancelled due to weather.  Have you done it in prior years?  I read the description - just find it hard to believe the bike course would be "flat to rolling" in that area.  I would have expected some decent hills.

I did FCF two years ago. My second Oly ever, in my first year ever. I swam a 19:3? or something like that. no speed suit, no current. the swim was way short. my best swim at the correct distance was 22 and change in a wetsuit. The bike was actually rolling as advertised. I was very new to cycling then and I don't remember any big climbs. the run came in at about 5.9. I did a 2:22 but I've never counted it because it was so short. I've heard the same synopis from several others that have done RDE races.

FCF is no longer put on by RDE. Martin and Kevin split into two companies. FCF is now put on by Endurance Sports Management run by Kevin. Storm the Fort is an RDE race with Martin at the helm. That being said, I swam the relay in Storm the Fort last year and it was definitely short. I'd say it was about 1200m by my time. I got stormed out at FCF the week before so I can't speak to it's distances. Trying that one again this year because I love that park.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman in Huntsville or Storm the Fort in Kingston?? Rss Feed